Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League 2022/23 Thread

1 hour ago, Sampson said:

Exactly. Same with the Habsburg Palaces in Vienna. Tourists still flock to them despite both countries long abolishing the monarchy/ 

Tourists come to see the building of Buckingham palace, not the monarchy. The idea it’s solely the monarchy that brings in this money is absurd. Tourists aren’t going to suddenly stop going to Buckingham palace 

People would still go, but the money would just go to the crown who would be entitled to all of it not just an agreed income from the crown estate.  (Though they would pay tax on it).  But, I am pretty sure that if they kept all income generated from their estate and paid taxes, the country would be at a deficit in comparison to them just paying regular taxes. (Especially as they might go off shore!!)

3 hours ago, tinpot_fox said:

Return the Jewels and then you might have a point.

Sorry, where in my post did I mention that I'm pro monarchy mate? I've said something about booing a national anthem in general. If our national anthem is considered a pro monarchy one we can ask for a referendum to change it. Let's have the "A Design For Life" by Manic Street Preachers instead. 

• Like 1

Oye ya coont! Lol

Tbf, you got slapped 6 nil the other game and the rest of the games seem tough. Villa has been playing really well so assumed you would lose that. I did say you clearly don't have to worry about relegation so is what it is.

Anyhow  congrats on safety, wish you get to say the same to us sooner than later. Here's  to hoping!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, smudger63 said:

I can certainly see Leeds beating Tottenham at home on the final day, but think there is a good chance they lose at home to Newcastle and away at West Ham. So only 3 points, which would mean we will need 3 points to finish above them. Notts Forests game with Southampton on monday is huge for them. They will expect to win, but if they lose, and its Southamptons last chance saloon game, then Notts Forest with a more confident Chelsea away, Arsenal at home, and a tricky away last game at Palace to play, could be without another point. Yet bizarrely just a win against Southampton,  might just be enough to keep them up. We can go through the different scenarios over and over, and I have, but the truth is, if predicting football results was so easy, there would be no bookies left open, so probably best to expect the unexpected, but hope things ultimately fall in our favour.

Despite Chelsea's regression, seeing the game against Bournemouth today, I don't see Forest getting more than a point at the Bridge. Kante coming back has helped and Lampard seems to finally going with the idea of benching some of their newer additions and playing Tuchel's (and his) tried & trusted players who still have a bit of pride. But I don't think this league has ever been more unpredictable. Wolves coming off a 6-0 pasting and snuffing out Villa wasn't on many people's coupons but at least gives hope they won't put their feet up against Everton.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, The Doctor said:

I do however like basic etymology. Monarchy - Mono, archos: one ruler. Democracy: Demo, kratos: rule of the people. They're two entirely opposite systems, a monarchy is by definition not democratic.

Thankfully our parliamentary monarchy falls well outside the narrow definition of the former.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, ARM1968 said:

Last mention of the monarchy because obviously some people find it very triggering. 

Royals cost the tax payer roughly £85-£90 million a year. 

Last known calculation of their contribution to the county was 2019 when they were estimated to have brought in roughly £1.77 billion. You can look it up. Seems like quite a good return to me on a purely fiscal basis. 

Long live the King I say 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guest Chocolate Teapot
On 15/04/2023 at 14:00, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

@Chocolate Teapot your posts about Emery when he got the Villa gig have aged like milk my brother 

Lost a couple of games now so I feel like it's time for another hot take. 

11 hours ago, ARM1968 said:

Last mention of the monarchy because obviously some people find it very triggering. 

Royals cost the tax payer roughly £85-£90 million a year. 

Last known calculation of their contribution to the county was 2019 when they were estimated to have brought in roughly £1.77 billion. You can look it up. Seems like quite a good return to me on a purely fiscal basis. 

Easily dismissed argument. That "contribution" is not going directly back to the taxpayer is it? They also have a vast network of assets worth many billions more than that which should be being put to better use.

Line go up =/= more wealth for the average working class person

Edited by TJQuik

47 minutes ago, TJQuik said:

Easily dismissed argument. That "contribution" is not going directly back to the taxpayer is it? They also have a vast network of assets worth many billions more than that which should be being put to better use.

Line go up =/= more wealth for the average working class person

Easily dismissed by a myopic fool yes. That money goes back to the country. That is money generated by the royal family which goes back to the country. 

5 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

Easily dismissed by a myopic fool yes. That money goes back to the country. That is money generated by the royal family which goes back to the country. 

The figures you posted don't account for costs of policing and security at events like yesterday so your cost figure is too low.

Also gives the royals way too much credit for bringing in tourism. As has been pointed out in this thread, people would still visit Buckingham Palace were we a republic. 

This is all moot anyway. We were a slight reordering of births away from having to sing about God saving a nonce as our national anthem, which seems like a bad system.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

The figures you posted don't account for costs of policing and security at events like yesterday so your cost figure is too low.

Also gives the royals way too much credit for bringing in tourism. As has been pointed out in this thread, people would still visit Buckingham Palace were we a republic. 

This is all moot anyway. We were a slight reordering of births away from having to sing about God saving a nonce as our national anthem, which seems like a bad system.

Mate. I get it. You don’t like the royal family. That’s ok. It’s your right. 

However the cost to benefit ratio is well in their favour. Certainly if other UK institutions were as profitable we would be better off as a country. 

I think we are better with them. You appear to think otherwise. Not a position I think either of us will back away from. So probably best to just leave it there I guess. 

18 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

Mate. I get it. You don’t like the royal family. That’s ok. It’s your right. 

However the cost to benefit ratio is well in their favour. Certainly if other UK institutions were as profitable we would be better off as a country. 

I think we are better with them. You appear to think otherwise. Not a position I think either of us will back away from. So probably best to just leave it there I guess. 

That's fine. But I think the numbers for your ratio are way off.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ARM1968 said:

"Back to the country" and "Back to the working class who actually keep the country running" are two different things ;)

But I assume you're the kind of person who thinks the economy is in good shape when the rich are making a shitload of money so this isn't a conversation worth having

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, TJQuik said:

"Back to the country" and "Back to the working class who actually keep the country running" are two different things ;)

But I assume you're the kind of person who thinks the economy is in good shape when the rich are making a shitload of money so this isn't a conversation worth having

You’d be wrong my friend. The money goes into the public coffers. Same as yours and mine. 

• Haha 4