Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Are you Rodgers in, or Rodgers out?

In / Out  

671 members have voted

1. 1. So, it’s been a while - In or Out

I'm still Rodgers in and I'm genuinely not trying to wind anyone up when I say that. This season has been an utter disaster indeed but I would argue that it only became such on the 59th minute of the friendly against Villarreal. Before that we were absolutely cruising and I believe without that malicious tackle on Fofana we would have absolutely made strides this season. That injury threw our whole season into chaos - panic buying Vestergaard, having to start the season with a makeshift defence without Fofana, Evans, Castagne, JJ was less than ideal. A smaller pool of players having to play more games means more injuries snowballing and we ended up having to put our youth players in a makeshift dressing room because they were SO young they couldn't be in with the adult players.

Yes performances have been shocking, yes there are glaring defensive issues, yes there are mentality and attitude problems...

But I also believe Rodgers has more than enough credit in the bank to survive this season. An FA Cup and Community Shield. Three semifinals in three consecutive seasons. 2 top 5 finishes (yes I know we bottled it but the Super League clubs just won't let it happen IMO). Only the second and third time in our history we've qualified for Europe through the league. He's bringing more and more youngsters through.

Just one more season is all I ask - a decent window and reshuffle of the squad to set us up for a few years. A refreshed squad, without any long term injuries bleeding over from the previous season, and without the distraction of Europe, could mean a very good season for us next year. I think he's earned the right to stay for that.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AKCJ said:

No that's bollocks. We as fans and the media were all lauding him as the 3rd best manager in the league behind those two in 2019/20 and 2020/21.

You may have changed your mind, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Pure BS.  I never bought into that nonsense and a lot of others felt the same way.  Who the hell cares what a bunch of morons in the media say?

• Like 1

Just double checked our seasons since promotion to see how it compares. 

2014/2015 - 41 points / 14th 

2015/2016 - 81 points / 1st

2016/2017 - 44 points / 12th 

2017/2018 - 47 points / 9th 

2018/2019 - 52 points / 9th 

2019/2020 - 62 points / 5th 

2021/2022 - 66 points / 5th 

There's progression there every season excepting us winning the league - even if you except the last two seasons as over performance, a sensible expectation would be around 50 to 55 points. We should get 51 points - should have been 54. 

That comment about when arrived it was about staying in the league is total nonsense. 

We should have a thread for the 24% that have voted in. Any of you care to explain how bad it has to get before you vote out?

He cant sort out set piece problem.

His tactics are a total bore fest.

His formations are erratic.

He keeps playing players that have been awful most of the season.

Please don't blame it all on injuries. We still concede from set pieces with fofona and Evan's playing.

Or is it just because he won the FA cup.

Oh and the old who's better?

At this minute who's worse.

Get Dyche in. At least the set piece problem would get solved.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

I'm still Rodgers in and I'm genuinely not trying to wind anyone up when I say that. This season has been an utter disaster indeed but I would argue that it only became such on the 59th minute of the friendly against Villarreal. Before that we were absolutely cruising and I believe without that malicious tackle on Fofana we would have absolutely made strides this season. That injury threw our whole season into chaos - panic buying Vestergaard, having to start the season with a makeshift defence without Fofana, Evans, Castagne, JJ was less than ideal. A smaller pool of players having to play more games means more injuries snowballing and we ended up having to put our youth players in a makeshift dressing room because they were SO young they couldn't be in with the adult players.

Yes performances have been shocking, yes there are glaring defensive issues, yes there are mentality and attitude problems...

But I also believe Rodgers has more than enough credit in the bank to survive this season. An FA Cup and Community Shield. Three semifinals in three consecutive seasons. 2 top 5 finishes (yes I know we bottled it but the Super League clubs just won't let it happen IMO). Only the second and third time in our history we've qualified for Europe through the league. He's bringing more and more youngsters through.

Just one more season is all I ask - a decent window and reshuffle of the squad to set us up for a few years. A refreshed squad, without any long term injuries bleeding over from the previous season, and without the distraction of Europe, could mean a very good season for us next year. I think he's earned the right to stay for that.

Your post is good to a degree but falls down right here 

1. Do you trust Rodgers to buy the correct players (based on last summers signings)

2. How do you know we won’t end up with injuries to the same extent next season under Rodgers?

You’re guessing either way 

Surely it’s better to acknowledge the same players who got us 5th (twice) and won the FA Cup, are still here at the club. They don’t all of a sudden become crap overnight. 

It’s the manager who’s at fault, even if that’s because the players no longer believe in him any more. 

The manager is the cheapest option to replace rather than a squad overhaul too

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

Your post is good to a degree but falls down right here 

1. Do you trust Rodgers to buy the correct players (based on last summers signings)

2. How do you know we won’t end up with injuries to the same extent next season under Rodgers?

You’re guessing either way 

Surely it’s better to acknowledge the same players who got us 5th (twice) and won the FA Cup, are still here at the club. They don’t all of a sudden become crap overnight. 

It’s the manager who’s at fault, even if that’s because the players no longer believe in him any more. 

The manager is the cheapest option to replace rather than a squad overhaul too

Playing Devil advocate, everyone who wants a new manager is also guessing it will be a success.

Who know the new manager will have a good summer window or sort the injury issue.

Whatever you point of view it's all guess work.

Just now, coolhandfox said:

Playing Devil advocate, everyone who wants a new manager is also guessing it will be a success.

Who know the new manager will have a good summer window or sort the injury issue.

Whatever you point of view it's all guess work.

Given the fact that injury crisis’ followed him around from Liverpool to Celtic and now to here, it’s a pretty educated guess to say that it’s more than a coincidence 

And I find it hard to believe any manager in the world couldn’t get us playing better than we have been, with the exact same squad we keep being reminded finished 5th and won the FA Cup. 

• Like 1

Rodgers in for me. 

The injuries we have had to cope with over the last couple of seasons have been horrendous. Assuming we cannot blame him for that (although some people seem to) he deserves more than a bit of credit for the FA Cup win and consecutive European qualifications. I have read on this thread that we are “destined for relegation” if Brendan stays, which is rubbish - even with our (relative) troubles of poor form, a stretched squad and some glaring squad holes, we have never seriously looked in danger of finishing outside the top half let alone in relegation trouble (perhaps until the last two results when we were obviously focused first on Roma and then getting over Roma). 

We have seen some coaching masterclasses against some of the best teams and we have played exceptional football in spells. I’d certainly agree that those times have not been often enough and it’s slightly worrying how often we are playing within ourselves/underperforming, but we still have a pretty young team aside from Vardy, Evans and Schmeichel. As much as we can say let’s get rid of X or Y players, we have got real talent in there that matches anyone outside the top five - and, in some cases, we have players who could hold their own in a top three team.

A new season without Europe and going full tilt at the Premier League is an exciting prospect. With just a couple of better results when we weren’t distracted, we’d be at least 8th and we should really have been more than a match for West Ham and Man U this year. Next year, the top five will probably stay strong - depending on how Chelsea pan out over the next few months - although Arsenal or Spurs are more than capable of a crappy season that we could capitalize on. I’m excited for that as we see out this season. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

One more season may see us a fixture in the bottom six on recent performances.

I think I'm more concerned about the style than the results. I think the combination shows a really worrying trend. This appears to be the way Rodgers wants us to play and not only is it dull, it also creates very little. The Vichai chant says "we counter-attack" - we don't anymore! 

Maybe I am misremembering but the spell when we needed results we seemed to introduce a bit more direct play - and we were much better for it. I'm not suggesting we pump it long every time we have the ball but having a variety of weapons at our disposal definitely makes us harder to play against. If this is a personnel thing then it could be very dangerous this summer if we stick with Rodgers and it doesn't work out as we'd be stuck with players that don't fit. That is a major concern and I'd be more content with Rodgers staying if we didn't give him complete power over our transfer window.

I am certainly one who urges caution with xG - but it can be really useful to give an indication of how we have done. We're exactly where we deserve to be in the league this season. We may squirm up to mid-table if we are lucky but this season hasn't been managed well at all - in contrast to the last 2. There will be no excuses of European games and such next season and I can only see an inevitable slide with a mid-season managerial change pre-Christmas if we stick.

With that said, I don't have the answer as to who we get in. It will be a massive gamble to change and I'm not entirely convinced the ownership has demonstrated sound thinking in appointing managers in the past. That said, it will be a big call either way and the last few games could define the direction of travel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, An Sionnach said:

When so many talk about having the "best squad" in history , that may or may not be the case in pure football ability but the game is about more than that , strength, resilience, character and attitude are equally important and this squad has nowhere near those qualities that some of our teams have had.

Spot on. Any  comparison with the title winning team is like night and day. 

28 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

Given the fact that injury crisis’ followed him around from Liverpool to Celtic and now to here, it’s a pretty educated guess to say that it’s more than a coincidence 

And I find it hard to believe any manager in the world couldn’t get us playing better than we have been, with the exact same squad we keep being reminded finished 5th and won the FA Cup. 

Still a guess ;).

It's not the same squad, Evans, Vardy and Kasper all a year older.

I think it's a big job for whoever is manager.

I've mellowed out a bit since yesterday. Enough to give him the benefit of the doubt still. 

He comes out with some stuff that makes him look like a right twat though. Embarrassing comments after the game simply because he's on the defensive and his ego is hurting. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RoboFox said:

I've mellowed out a bit since yesterday. Enough to give him the benefit of the doubt still. 

He comes out with some stuff that makes him look like a right twat though. Embarrassing comments after the game simply because he's on the defensive and his ego is hurting. 

I think that's a big part of it as well, he's just so unlikeable. 

It's petty and has nothing to do with hos ability as a manager but it's just hard to give him the benefit of the doubt when he says the things he does and comes across like a complete tool. 

33 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

I think I'm more concerned about the style than the results. I think the combination shows a really worrying trend. This appears to be the way Rodgers wants us to play and not only is it dull, it also creates very little. The Vichai chant says "we counter-attack" - we don't anymore! 

Maybe I am misremembering but the spell when we needed results we seemed to introduce a bit more direct play - and we were much better for it. I'm not suggesting we pump it long every time we have the ball but having a variety of weapons at our disposal definitely makes us harder to play against. If this is a personnel thing then it could be very dangerous this summer if we stick with Rodgers and it doesn't work out as we'd be stuck with players that don't fit. That is a major concern and I'd be more content with Rodgers staying if we didn't give him complete power over our transfer window.

I am certainly one who urges caution with xG - but it can be really useful to give an indication of how we have done. We're exactly where we deserve to be in the league this season. We may squirm up to mid-table if we are lucky but this season hasn't been managed well at all - in contrast to the last 2. There will be no excuses of European games and such next season and I can only see an inevitable slide with a mid-season managerial change pre-Christmas if we stick.

With that said, I don't have the answer as to who we get in. It will be a massive gamble to change and I'm not entirely convinced the ownership has demonstrated sound thinking in appointing managers in the past. That said, it will be a big call either way and the last few games could define the direction of travel.

With direct play you aim to win the ball in the oppositions half and attack whether that be from a long ball up top, a kick from the keeper, turning over play winning second balls etc..

This style we currently play is pass, pass pass, let the other team get there shape... pass pass pass lose the ball it will only work if you have squad like Man city and we don't.

Edited by whoareyaaa
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, whoareyaaa said:

With direct play you aim to win the ball in the oppositions half and attack whether that be from a long ball up top, a kick from the keeper, turning over play winning second balls etc..

This style we currently play is pass, pass pass, let the other team get there shape... pass pass pass lose the ball it will only work if you have squad like Man city and we don't.

Good teams play posession football around the box.... not across the back 4

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Scotch said:

I think that's a big part of it as well, he's just so unlikeable. 

It's petty and has nothing to do with hos ability as a manager but it's just hard to give him the benefit of the doubt when he says the things he does and comes across like a complete tool. 

Yep. Claiming to be the club's savior is a weird way of ingratiating yourself to the fans. 

You're of course all welcome to your opinions on BR, even if some seem to enjoy piling on a tad much. 

But please, don't insult those that disagree by calling them 'apologists' - it's the tactic of shouting a differing opinion down via name calling, and does not win your argument. All it does is pisses fellow fans off. 

15 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

You're of course all welcome to your opinions on BR, even if some seem to enjoy piling on a tad much. 

But please, don't insult those that disagree by calling them 'apologists' - it's the tactic of shouting a differing opinion down via name calling, and does not win your argument. All it does is pisses fellow fans off. 

Likewise with people on the other side of the discussion using terms like 'so called fans or '"fans"' suggesting that people who disagree with them, many of whom spend a lot of money following Leicester, are somehow not proper fans. 

• Like 4

I have been a fan of Rodgers. However, his achievements are laudable or laughable depending on how you spin it. 2 x top 5 finishes is incredible vs Top 4 bottle jobs. European semi final vs “But it was the conference.” FA Cup winners vs A lamentable defence against Forest of all teams. Charity Shield vs Is that really a trophy? Poor league form vs awful injury list.

The conversation is a double edged sword and sadly is the perfect scenario for today’s social media take on extreme views instead of middle ground discussion which has permeated onto these boards.

Me, I prefer to celebrate the top 5 finishes, and FA Cup win, a charity shield against a top side and a European cup semi final and therefore believe he has presided over arguably the most successful period in our history. 

I have always maintained we are a tier 3 side with a tier 2 manager, much like Spurs are a tier 2 team with a tier 1 manager. This has been his first really hard season where some of his tactics have been found wanting as he possibly isn’t used to having to really counter such poor league performances, a little like Jesse Marsch. One poor season doesn’t make him wrong for us it just means he needs to learn from adversity and come back stronger next season.

If after 10-15 games next year the same problems are existing, presumably after a rebuild getting in who he deems to be right, and we aren’t going in any discernible direction then Top will act and I’ll have no problem with that.

Until then I think we need to give himself time to take stock, look at himself in the mirror a little, get the squad fit and playing the right type of football and try to turn it round.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, TaggertvsWise said:

I have been a fan of Rodgers. However, his achievements are laudable or laughable depending on how you spin it. 2 x top 5 finishes is incredible vs Top 4 bottle jobs. European semi final vs “But it was the conference.” FA Cup winners vs A lamentable defence against Forest of all teams. Charity Shield vs Is that really a trophy? Poor league form vs awful injury list.

The conversation is a double edged sword and sadly is the perfect scenario for today’s social media take on extreme views instead of middle ground discussion which has permeated onto these boards.

Me, I prefer to celebrate the top 5 finishes, and FA Cup win, a charity shield against a top side and a European cup semi final and therefore believe he has presided over arguably the most successful period in our history. 

I have always maintained we are a tier 3 side with a tier 2 manager, much like Spurs are a tier 2 team with a tier 1 manager. This has been his first really hard season where some of his tactics have been found wanting as he possibly isn’t used to having to really counter such poor league performances, a little like Jesse Marsch. One poor season doesn’t make him wrong for us it just means he needs to learn from adversity and come back stronger next season.

If after 10-15 games next year the same problems are existing, presumably after a rebuild getting in who he deems to be right, and we aren’t going in any discernible direction then Top will act and I’ll have no problem with that.

Until then I think we need to give himself time to take stock, look at himself in the mirror a little, get the squad fit and playing the right type of football and try to turn it round.

This is true to an extent.

”Two top 5 finishes” when we should have finished in the top four. Twice.

”Two great European cup runs” when we failed to get through against Slavia Prague over two legs and a group with Legia and Spartak (who won the group)

“We hadn’t had any of this before he arrived” with the best squad this club has ever had ability wise.

Just doesn’t wash with me. The FA Cup was amazing and fair play to him. But he’s played some of you an absolute dream.

• Like 4

I think the extent of our overachieving in those two seasons finishing fifth is exaggerated. The Utd line up on the last day against us in 2020:

De Gea

Wan Bissaka

Maguire

Lindelof

Williams

Pogba

Matic

Greenwood

Fernandes

Rashford

Martial

They undoubtedly had the star player in Fernandes, and their squad was stronger than ours so a top 4 finish would have been punching about our weight. But 5th wasn't the miraculous feat that many pundits claim. This is the best squad of players we have; because we have assembled the squad sensibly and at lower cost than others does not mean we should accept top half.