Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Cincinnati Fox

New Manager

5 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Come on mate. 15/16 was our most successful season, but 16/17 wasn't a successful season, but obviously the CL QF was a great achievement. We can't describe that as a period though, it was a one off and clearly unsustainable. We've had pretty sustained success over the last 3 years under this regime, relative for a club of our size.

You keep telling yourself that Brendan. 

1 minute ago, pmcla26 said:

So did we build on the achievements of 15/16 by playing the same way and go onto have a period of success like we have in the last 3 years or so?

We got lucky in the FA Cup - finally. We bottled two clear CL qualifications with two utterly atrocious 2nd halves of a season. We got knocked out of the frigging Europa League and limped through the Europa conference. I mean, it’s sort of success, but it ain’t winning the league or reaching the QF of the CL. Perspective I guess. 

21 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Come on mate. 15/16 was our most successful season, but 16/17 wasn't a successful season, but obviously the CL QF was a great achievement. We can't describe that as a period though, it was a one off and clearly unsustainable. We've had pretty sustained success over the last 3 years under this regime, relative for a club of our size.

I've tried arguing this point.

Rodgers can be very frustrating and I can understand a lot of the negativity when he makes some seemingly bizarre decisions and doesn't then learn from past mistakes.

But it seems like one thing or the other.  Either we have all these glaring issues on the pitch, or we go on an amazing run of games that propel us up the table and things seem to click.

We've been super unlucky with injuries which hasn't helped, but BR would do himself a lot of good on here if he acknowledged times he made mistakes and then tried hard not to make them again in the next match.

15 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

So did we build on the achievements of 15/16 by playing the same way and go onto have a period of success like we have in the last 3 years or so?

Did we try?

And before you say 'Yes, and it resulting in us being poor in the league', we were poor in the league last year, that was blamed on injuries which were blamed on the extra workload of Europe. Could the former no be excused for our participation in the CL - of which we did very well in.

No we immediately ripped it up and went in the total opposite direction, it's far too simple to say it was 'unsustainable' or 'we got found out'.

We've been poor for 2 years playing in this godawful style, are we claiming it's 'unsustainable' or 'we've been found out'?

Some of the things i've read on here over recent years fawning over this nonsense style we'd have teared strips off in 15/16.

Listen, there's a time and place for this what I call nonsense style, but it's not a style anyone should be playing exclusively.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

You say club of our size but we were very much spending the 6th/7th most amount of money in the league with a manager who was the 4th best paid.  Finishing 5th was a good achievement but it certainly wasn't out of the question like some like to make out it was.  We all said top 4 should be a real aim before Brendans first full season. 

1 hour ago, ARM1968 said:

Yeah. I think our MOST successful period was when we won the league, playing a very good version of anti-possession football. Possession for the sake of it is pathetic. You have to do something with that possession - not just keep the ball and pass sideways and backwards. 

Precisely!

IF WE COULD GET BACK TO THE TOPIC INSTEAD OF YET ANOTHER SESSION OF BASH BRENDAN.........

I'd be happy to give Sarina Wiegman a go.

No, I mean she can obviously handle players.

That's not right either.

She'd do me........

What the hell.

Go Sarina😆

Edited by Frank Large's Black Book

2 hours ago, Matt said:

We don't have a squad suitable for 'possession based football' and playing out from the back but we still persist with it.

Its not that the squad isn't suitable for it, its just that the playing the ball around the back is overdone. We are very capable of playing out from the back but it needs to be done with more purpose. What's really frustrating and its happening against more teams is that as soon as we start knocking it around the back 5 aimlessly the opposition will press and get the ball back from a mistake. 

We've been sussed because teams will commit more men to the press knowing there is an extremely low chance the ball will be moved forwards with any intent or purpose because if it goes into midfield 9/10 times it goes back or sideways.

• Like 1

Guest itude
On 08/05/2022 at 17:20, Kilworthfox said:

Mourinho is the best we can get. 

I feel we need a different style to now, either pressing from the front or reverting back to our previous counter attacking style, so Potter is certainly 1 I would not want. 

I'm lost why some people think Dyche is a bad choice as manager... Not that he is my 1st choice. 

Agreed, he is Premier League tested. He got and kept Burnley up for years with very little money, including one down and up.In the main his transfer business was excellent. He got the best out of a lot of average players. Equally importantly he is available !! Seems to me like there is some crazy snobbery going on regarding him. Also some lunatic dreaming about other managers who might come here..they won't !

I think Dyche is a great manager. He’s just not a sexy manager. I mean let’s face it he polished a turd with Burnley. You’d get a side that would be organised, well drilled, hard to beat and a bit nasty. I must admit, I wouldn’t be disappointed with Dyche as a manager. 

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

If and when we get a new manager, they need to have a strong record at bringing academy players through. It's the most viable route out of this wage structure nightmare we are in. The mandate needs to be that we are looking to build a very young and progressive side through academy players and signing young raw players for modest fees on modest wages whom get success based wage increases rather than massive bunce straight off the bat.

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/nov/07/mauricio-pochettino-tottenham-youth

Pochettino is the man

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

If and when we get a new manager, they need to have a strong record at bringing academy players through. It's the most viable route out of this wage structure nightmare we are in. The mandate needs to be that we are looking to build a very young and progressive side through academy players and signing young raw players for modest fees on modest wages whom get success based wage increases rather than massive bunce straight off the bat.

Which is achievable for me. We’ve got some decent players in our academy. They need to be used properly though. Bled in properly, we can’t afford to have them burned and stumble. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

I think Dyche is a great manager. He’s just not a sexy manager. I mean let’s face it he polished a turd with Burnley. You’d get a side that would be organised, well drilled, hard to beat and a bit nasty. I must admit, I wouldn’t be disappointed with Dyche as a manager. 

Oh dear lord….has it come to this. 

• Like 1