Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfcfoz

Danny Ward

A few comments today on different threads about him yesterday so thought I would mention that I thought he had a steady game yesterday.

Overall do I think he us good enough for Prem level? No I don't. 

I think he is top level Championship quality who has gone a step beyond his capabilities with us. 

Unfortunately we have to put up with it now until the summer. If we go down then I have no problem with him as number 1 in the Championship. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Gazza M said:

A few comments today on different threads about him yesterday so thought I would mention that I thought he had a steady game yesterday.

I think he is top level Championship quality who has gone a step beyond his capabilities with us. 

Unfortunately we have to put up with it now until the summer. If we go down then I have no problem with him as number 1 in the Championship. 

Agreed, doesn’t command his box on set pieces, but neither did Schmeichel. One corner yesterday right into the six yard box and he failed. We, or should I say he got away with it. 
He has improved significantly from a terrible start to the season but he isn’t a quality Premier League keeper. 

On 22/01/2023 at 03:11, Mike Oxlong said:

You know there’s a problem when you compliment your goalkeeper for making a couple of decent saves - I mean, that’s his job but expectations are too ncredibly low. Not at fault for either of the goals though today 

People who complimented him for the 6 CSs didnt really see the quality of shots of the opponents 

On 22/01/2023 at 18:57, Gazza M said:

In my opinion he is league one at best. Let's put it this way, if we were back playing in league one, having seen him for a number of games now, would I be happy to have him as our keeper, and the answer for me would be absolutely not.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, David Hankey said:

I agree, when you look at all the goalkeepers in the EPL, Ward is well down the list. 

It is very easy to compare him to Kasper but a) Ward was No. 2 for a reason and b) the defence in front of him is not as good.

Every good team needs a good goalkeeper. Blaming the defence alone doesn't sit right with me. Look how bad Man Utd defenders have been in recent years and compare that to how De Gea often got them out of trouble with his saves.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Every good team needs a good goalkeeper. Blaming the defence alone doesn't sit right with me. Look how bad Man Utd defenders have been in recent years and compare that to how De Gea often got them out of trouble with his saves.

My point exactly and highlights that Ward is way down the list as I originally said.

I wasn't "blaming" the defence alone.

We talk a lot about Premier League quality and Championship quality but he's just been absolute devoid of confidence to the point where he's been worse than Goalkeepers in leagues below. 

The club took a calculated risk that we had a number one in waiting (Rodgers words) so 100k off the wage bill and a fee for a 36 year old was seen as a no brainer for the position we were in. It's completely backfired. 

I do think a hell of a lot snowballed from blowing that initial 2-0 lead to Brentford. I think if we'd won that game (where he looked fine) then the subsequent games wouldn't have become so nerve wracking for the whole defence. You look at them first couple of games when we won the league to see how important it is to get that momentum going from the off. With a Goalkeeper it's massively important.

• Like 1

Odd player in that he's clearly a bit crap and we desperately need to upgrade on him but he was pivotal in that great run we had pre World Cup where he looked like a different keeper. Pulled off some stops at Molineux and Goodison that were really, really important. 

I also can't articulate this, I'm not sure if it's just subconscious bias at play and it's probably nonsense but Iversen just looks more like a goalkeeper to me? Like how he moves and how he looks. 

• Like 2