Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfcfoz

Danny Ward

I mean to end the debate as to if it was Ward or Castagne who were at fault for that incident - they would be the first 2 players who I'd be looking to replace out of the squad right now.

We all know Ward is a bit of a bomb scare, and the players don't have confidence in hi either,  but looking at the back 4 now, I'd say Castagne is by far the weakest link.

Hopefully Ricardo is fully fit soon.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Thommo said:

Wheres Smithies??? What was the reason for his purchase??

Third choices keeper, every team has an experienced third choice keeper. We had Jakupovic before. It allowed the youth team keepers to play youth team football or go out on loan, simple as that.

Man Utd have Tom Heaton, they previously had Lee Grant, Liverpool have Adrian, Man City have Scott Carson, Newcastle have Karius. Its not uncommon. Outside the odd pity start or sub appearance they just sit on the bench whenever the 2nd choice starts.

Edited by Facecloth
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

It's flicked on at the near post, where he's covering, you know incase it gets headed into to that corner of the goal. It's not come direct to the centre of the goal to be cleared by Kristensen. But as you say you'll need to watch it back, not stopped you criticising though has it lol

A corner that gets cleared off the line in the middle of the goal has set alarm bells ringing because it never happens because that’s where goalkeepers should be positioned at a corner. Why’s he covering the front post? What happens if it goes in the opposite corner? He’s not come to claim the corner and afair we had a man at the front post and souttar covering that front post area. 
I’ll have a watch of it again tomorrow but the fact he was beaten by a header near enough in the middle of the goal from a corner is worrying to me

I think it's fair to say he is our weak link. But as long as his head is above water, he is doing the basics right, we can manage with him until the summer.

We do need an upgrade and I am certain the club will bring someone new in. I wonder what Ward will do when that happens? He is clearly good championship standard; why not go somewhere and play every week?

Edited by Tanya
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, It'sblueupnorth said:

A corner that gets cleared off the line in the middle of the goal has set alarm bells ringing because it never happens because that’s where goalkeepers should be positioned at a corner. Why’s he covering the front post? What happens if it goes in the opposite corner? He’s not come to claim the corner and afair we had a man at the front post and souttar covering that front post area. 
I’ll have a watch of it again tomorrow but the fact he was beaten by a header near enough in the middle of the goal from a corner is worrying to me

You haven't watched buy yet you still criticise. Unreal lol You've watched Kasper too long if you think a keeper should be routed to the centre of his goal on corners. Nobody is standing on the front post, if they win a header there and its going in then he needs to save it, he's reacting to where the corner has been played too. He won't be coming to collect it as its been flicked out before it get to the front post, no keeper is coming for that.

19 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

You mean the one where he was getting there to clear the ball away and Castagne decides he's going to take it round his own keeper and then trip over his own feet?

Same incident but you’re a little off. Castagne was waiting for him to come claim the ball but he didn’t so yes im the end he had to do something and it ended up quite calamitous lol both at fault.

Edited by MPH

23 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Third choices keeper, every team has an experienced third choice keeper. We had Jakupovic before. It allowed the youth team keepers to play youth team football or go out on loan, simple as that.

Man Utd have Tom Heaton, they previously had Lee Grant, Liverpool have Adrian, Man City have Scott Carson, Newcastle have Karius. Its not uncommon. Outside the odd pity start or sub appearance they just sit on the bench whenever the 2nd choice starts.

Spurs played Forster today and he looked like he had anchors on his legs for a couple of our goals.

Be careful what you wish for. Danny did fine today.

6 minutes ago, MPH said:

Same incident but you’re a little off. Castagne was waiting for him to come claim the ball but he didn’t so yes im the end he had to do something and it ended up quite calamitous lol both at fault.

The ball gets played through, Castagne cuts it out but his touch is poor. Ward is already on the edge of his box, so Castagne isn't waiting for him at all, as the ball reaches Ward and he's about the clear is Castagne suddenly decides he's going to take it round him then falls over his own feet and nearly puts it in his own net. Castagne bad, touch, Castagne bad decision. You can't lay this one on Ward sorry.

1 minute ago, OntarioFox said:

Spurs played Forster today and he looked like he had anchors on his legs for a couple of our goals.

I'm not wishing for anything mate. Think we need to replace Ward in the summer but I think people are being overly critical. Someone suggested earlier he should be catching that Perisic free kick ffs lol

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, adejo92 said:

I mean to end the debate as to if it was Ward or Castagne who were at fault for that incident - they would be the first 2 players who I'd be looking to replace out of the squad right now.

We all know Ward is a bit of a bomb scare, and the players don't have confidence in hi either,  but looking at the back 4 now, I'd say Castagne is by far the weakest link.

Hopefully Ricardo is fully fit soon.

We shouldn't be too hard on Timmy. He has been a shadow of his best self in many recent games but today other than the cock-up with Ward he was better. I just think the poor guy has been overused and needs a break. Ricardo's come back has come just in time. Timmy will step up his game now that the team is playing at a much higher level. Just needs a breather.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

The ball gets played through, Castagne cuts it out but his touch is poor. Ward is already on the edge of his box, so Castagne isn't waiting for him at all, as the ball reaches Ward and he's about the clear is Castagne suddenly decides he's going to take it round him then falls over his own feet and nearly puts it in his own net. Castagne bad, touch, Castagne bad decision. You can't lay this one on Ward sorry.

I absolutely can and will lay that one on Ward. But I’ll lay it on Castagne aswell

no Ward isn’t already on the edge of his box.. he jogs towards the ball and then sort of stops.

a good keeper would have at least communicated with the defender. It’s very obvious what Castagne was doing in that situation.. hes waiting for the keeper to come and get the ball. Everyone in the stadium and watching on TV can see it.

However  a good defender would have seen the dithering about and hoofed it

Neither of them communicated and both can take some blame.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

You haven't watched buy yet you still criticise. Unreal lol You've watched Kasper too long if you think a keeper should be routed to the centre of his goal on corners. Nobody is standing on the front post, if they win a header there and its going in then he needs to save it, he's reacting to where the corner has been played too. He won't be coming to collect it as its been flicked out before it get to the front post, no keeper is coming for that.

I’ve watched kasper too long to expect a goalkeeper to be able to make simple saves, something the warden struggles with. He was routed to his line for both corners as well 😂 If it’s going in anywhere in the goal he needs to save it, why is he prioritising the front post, when he’s getting beat middle of the goal. Im not saying any keeper is claiming that corner, I wouldn’t expect them too, I’m just wondering how he’s been bailed out by a header in the middle of the goal. Getting beat where you’re not even in the position to react to a shot in the middle of the goal from a corner is concerning to me 

4 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

I'm not wishing for anything mate. Think we need to replace Ward in the summer but I think people are being overly critical. Someone suggested earlier he should be catching that Perisic free kick ffs lol

Wasn't aimed at you specifically boss, more people who couldn't see that he put in a good display today.

Laughable he's rated bottom on the match ratings thread, even below the subs, right now. For what? One mix-up which was really far more down to Timmy getting it trapped in his feet? Both of them had a great game otherwise but people will happily latch onto one moment to justify their predetermined opinion. He also pulled off some key saves today, including vital ones like the free kick you mentioned.

I'll never understand the mentality of some on here. I know there has to be one but it's an insult to say he was our worst player out of everyone today. Danny was as much a part of our win as any of the other lads today, whether that was saves, marshalling the backline or the simple task of coming to claim crosses with composure- see Brighton vs. Palace today for a reminder of why that should be far more appreciated, especially as it was a real weakness in Kasper's game.

Yes, I think there's better out there and we should be looking in the summer. But today should be a reminder that he's not as dreadful as he's made out to be.

Was probably better yesterday, but then he hasn't really set himself a very high bar to compare his previous performances too. Made the odd run of the mill saves, but did at least collect a couple of corners in the second half if I recall right. The mix up with him and Castagne was truly horrific on both of them.

Edited by smudger63

7 hours ago, MPH said:

I absolutely can and will lay that one on Ward. But I’ll lay it on Castagne aswell

no Ward isn’t already on the edge of his box.. he jogs towards the ball and then sort of stops.

a good keeper would have at least communicated with the defender. It’s very obvious what Castagne was doing in that situation.. hes waiting for the keeper to come and get the ball. Everyone in the stadium and watching on TV can see it.

However  a good defender would have seen the dithering about and hoofed it

Neither of them communicated and both can take some blame.

I watched it back as I replied and I just watched it again. Ward is on the edge of the box, I'm looking at it right now. The ball never enters the box, so quite how Castagne or yourself thought Ward would collect it is a mystery. As Castagne is dithering Ward steps forward to clears the ball away, at the point the ball is about a yard outside the area, that's when Castagne decides to dribble round him. If Castagnes issue was that we has waiting for Ward, then why did they nearly trip over each other? Wasn't waiting much was he if they were almost bumping into each other at the point Castagne had his brain fart. Its quite clear that Castagne took a bad touch the ball is rolling back towards the goal, Ward has advanced to the edge of the box to deal with it, as he reaches the ball and swings his leg to clear the ball, his defender decides to take the ball round him.

7 hours ago, Facecloth said:

Agreed, this happened right in front of me and if Ward had tried to take the ball he would have brought Castagne down. The speed castagne was moving me at that he had to deal with the ball himself. Thai was down to him. 

• Like 1

I‘ve seen enough of Ward this season to suggest we could do with a new number one next season, but he did ok against Spurs. He wasn’t tested to the full extent, but you build form and confidence by doing the basics right. 

I’m sure they’ll be a time to return to this thread and rip into him, but I don’t think it’s now. We all know he’ll be in the team for the next game against Man Utd so let’s see how that goes

Edited by Jobyfox
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, OntarioFox said:

I agree.  As much as Ward is not the answer for us, if I were watching that game as a neutral it would be the Spurs keeper that I would have been unimpressed with.  Barnes and Nacho's goals were basically passed into the net from twenty yards and their keeper got across far too slowly.

• Like 3