Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfcfoz

Danny Ward

Just now, Phenom said:

Neither was Nacho not that long ago 

Not even a comparison. Kel was behind 1 of the best strikers in the league and always been premier league quality. Iverson is a championship keeper. Not saying ward is brilliant but iverson is second choice for a reason. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Pete52 said:

Not even a comparison. Kel was behind 1 of the best strikers in the league and always been premier league quality. Iverson is a championship keeper. Not saying ward is brilliant but iverson is second choice for a reason. 

Vardy hasn’t been at that level for at least 2 seasons mate.

Yeh Ward doesn't have that certain X-factor that all top keepers have which is they can keep their team in the game with WC saves or shot stops.

Kasper had it like his dad. De Gea definitely has it. It gives the team a chance to get back in the game. Ward is just too nice too quiet or both.

Nothing we can do about it until the summer now we have top persevere with him.

1 hour ago, Pete52 said:

He’s not getting picked for a reason 

But what’s the reason? There’s not a chance anyone can be as bad as DW at saving shots, a wheelie bin would likely have a similar save percentage. If it is to do with him not being as good with his feet then who cares, I’d rather have a goalie that isn’t afraid of the ball and could potentially make a few saves. Iversen was one of the best goalkeepers in the championship last season, ward isn’t anywhere near that level

For me, the difference between a Premier League and a Championship goalkeeper is the ability to make outstanding saves. For our entire season, Danny Ward has probably made no more than a handful - all of which you would still expect a Premier League goalkeeper to make. His kicking is quite shit, often lofting it really slowly, or a little too high for our fullbacks to control it and start an attack. His decision making looks to be guesswork most of the time. Really, the difference between us and United yesterday is that De Gea pulled off a great save against Barnes and another fantastic save for Kelechi's header. Meanwhile... 

• Like 1

Brendan has some blind loyalty to him because he has been sat on the bench for 4 years and feels Ward has been patient mixed with refusing to back track on his own opinion at the start of the season.

In reality Ward has been doing a "Vesty" and getting a tidy sum for the odd cup match. Now he has been thrust in, it has become apparent he isn't good enough. 

Edited by Gazza M
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Pete52 said:

The Iversen is second choice for a reason point isn't really a solid argument is it 

Edited by Tommy Fresh

If Ward is our number one at the start of next season, I genuinely think I’m going to take up another sport at the weekends.

He’s so far out of depth it is a mystery whatever youth coaches saw in him, in the first place.

He neither makes the goal smaller for the attackers, nor tightens the angle.

32 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

Preston fans last season were saying Iversen was the same level as Pickford when he was playing for them. I just dont see how the best goalkeeper in the championship last season can be worse than a goalkeeper who looks like lower table championship standard.

what makes it all funny, is we have a keeper on the bench many teams would in the championship would love to have yet we have playing Ward where no one in the championship would touch with a 10 foot pole

BR needs to bite the bullet now on the ward issue, if he cant see hes a part of the problem then hes a clown, hes a decent back up keeper but no where near a number 1; plan to see when the defenders in front of him dont trust him and we've seen that on a number of occasions this season

• Like 2

Rodgers towards the end of last season was saying that we had two number ones in Kasper and Ward - was probably expecting Kasper to leave and wanted to big up Ward

Then in the summer once Kasper left he very much put his hat on Ward being his chosen number 1 - should’ve gone for the “I have two number ones” again, given Iversen more of a chance, and not made it seem like Ward had it comfortably which it does unfortunately look like he has

Dropping Ward would require Rodgers to go back on his word about him being his number 1, which I don’t think he will do unfortunately

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Rodgers towards the end of last season was saying that we had two number ones in Kasper and Ward - was probably expecting Kasper to leave and wanted to big up Ward

Then in the summer once Kasper left he very much put his hat on Ward being his chosen number 1 - should’ve gone for the “I have two number ones” again, given Iversen more of a chance, and not made it seem like Ward had it comfortably which it does unfortunately look like he has

Dropping Ward would require Rodgers to go back on his word about him being his number 1, which I don’t think he will do unfortunately

I'd be very surprised if that was the reason, he knows very well as a manager that you can't get every thing right. I think he honestly believes Iversen is a worse choice (and he might be right?).

Imo goalkeepers nowadays are tasked with more than those in the past. Fair enough - they get paid more for the most part and the game has changed. They have to be like  Hoddle in their distribution, play it out from the back to beat the press, can't gather a back pass with their hands etc. Although goalkeepers are protected more from challenges. Lots of mistakes even from top keepers in the PL. Paul Cooper had a nice line in throwing the ball out to get us on our way but mostly it was the big boot. Maybe the requirements of the position nowadays can detrimentally affect overall performance/create doubts. For what it's worth I thought DW did ok yesterday. It was our inability to make our dominance count in the first half that did for us.

• Like 1