Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfcfoz

Danny Ward

1 hour ago, Rossiter said:

Imo goalkeepers nowadays are tasked with more than those in the past. Fair enough - they get paid more for the most part and the game has changed. They have to be like  Hoddle in their distribution, play it out from the back to beat the press, can't gather a back pass with their hands etc. Although goalkeepers are protected more from challenges. Lots of mistakes even from top keepers in the PL. Paul Cooper had a nice line in throwing the ball out to get us on our way but mostly it was the big boot. Maybe the requirements of the position nowadays can detrimentally affect overall performance/create doubts. For what it's worth I thought DW did ok yesterday. It was our inability to make our dominance count in the first half that did for us.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but being clever with your feet should be a nice to have attribute, after we have fulfilled the 'can actually save a shot' criteria

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ParkerPen said:

I'm not saying you are wrong, but being clever with your feet should be a nice to have attribute, after we have fulfilled the 'can actually save a shot' criteria

I agree but usually the players that are best with their feet are under 6' (some by quite a bit) so arguably it's quite an ask to be both. It seems to me that keepers being good with their feet is a bit more than a nice to have attribute in today's game and maybe it puts them under more pressure. I'm sure LCFC will be looking at keepers for the summer, they'll be looking at all areas because it's not always clear who will leave. 

1 minute ago, Rossiter said:

I agree but usually the players that are best with their feet are under 6' (some by quite a bit) so arguably it's quite an ask to be both. It seems to me that keepers being good with their feet is a bit more than a nice to have attribute in today's game and maybe it puts them under more pressure. I'm sure LCFC will be looking at keepers for the summer, they'll be looking at all areas because it's not always clear who will leave. 

I'm almost certainly showing my age / bias in this regard :)

• Haha 1

He was never brought in to be a number one. He's an alright backup, and I think that's what we thought we were getting because we had Kasper well established. 

When we brought him in clearly the club hadn't foreseen the financial issues which led to Kasper leaving. 

People at the club will know he isn't up to it, however the need to replace him hasn't been as great as strengthening other areas of the squad. 

It's a case of "he'll do"

Guest Col city fan

I blamed our defence over Ward for quite some time. 
I don’t think our defence helped much but I was wrong regarding Ward. Individually, I’d suggest he’s lost the club a sizeable number of points already this season.

God knows how anyone thought he’d be an able replacement for Schmeichel. And the club is at fault too for believing that he was ever good enough to step in as a Premiership standard keeper.

Goalkeepers in the top flight are generally very good players. That’s why clubs will pay a fortune now to get them and when you have one, you keep them.

The club is probably going to have to spend quite a few quid to find a proper goalkeeper for next season because it won’t matter much who we recruit in defence, when we have Ward behind them.

What I’ve seen of him, apart from a few very good saves, he’s probably Championship standard at best. His positioning when an attacking player is bearing down on goals is miles off. Rashford’s first goal, for instance, literally had him gaping at two thirds of the goal to simply place it into the back of the net.

Ward is nowhere near good enough to be a number 1 at this level.

7 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I blamed our defence over Ward for quite some time. 
I don’t think our defence helped much but I was wrong regarding Ward. Individually, I’d suggest he’s lost the club a sizeable number of points already this season.

God knows how anyone thought he’d be an able replacement for Schmeichel. And the club is at fault too for believing that he was ever good enough to step in as a Premiership standard keeper.

Goalkeepers in the top flight are generally very good players. That’s why clubs will pay a fortune now to get them and when you have one, you keep them.

The club is probably going to have to spend quite a few quid to find a proper goalkeeper for next season because it won’t matter much who we recruit in defence, when we have Ward behind them.

What I’ve seen of him, apart from a few very good saves, he’s probably Championship standard at best. His positioning when an attacking player is bearing down on goals is miles off. Rashford’s first goal, for instance, literally had him gaping at two thirds of the goal to simply place it into the back of the net.

Ward is nowhere near good enough to be a number 1 at this level.

According to this fanbase we're gonna sign an Allison regen for less than 25m in the summer.

I think this fanbase has been spoiled by having Kasper for so long that they've forgotten what a midtable keeper actually looks like, especially if they think we can afford a full on rebuild if we were to try and sign a long term improvement.

5 minutes ago, Mike1983 said:

According to this fanbase we're gonna sign an Allison regen for less than 25m in the summer.

I think this fanbase has been spoiled by having Kasper for so long that they've forgotten what a midtable keeper actually looks like, especially if they think we can afford a full on rebuild if we were to try and sign a long term improvement.

If you think Ward is genuinely a mid-table standard keeper and we would be unable to get a substantial improvement on him for £25m then you are a maniac 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Guest said:

If you think Ward is genuinely a mid-table standard keeper and we would be unable to get a substantial improvement on him for £25m then you are a maniac 

My bad, I forgot to add league one in the sentence. My point was if we are looking to replace Ward with someone of Kasper’s caliber, it’s going to cost us significantly more than 20-25M.

34 minutes ago, Mike1983 said:

My bad, I forgot to add league one in the sentence. My point was if we are looking to replace Ward with someone of Kasper’s caliber, it’s going to cost us significantly more than 20-25M.

Haha fair enough. I'm not sure I agree though - there's only a handful of keepers in history that have gone for more than that sort of money and I think there may be a danger of Ward's ineptitude elevating our assessment of Schmeichel, who was obviously a terrific player for us but towards the end probably wasn't what I would consider one of the better keepers in the league. Even if we were only able to afford/attract a fairly average keeper for this level - e.g. someone in the Fabianski, Guaita sort of bracket - I think we'd be far, far better off.

Guest Col city fan
6 minutes ago, Guest said:

Haha fair enough. I'm not sure I agree though - there's only a handful of keepers in history that have gone for more than that sort of money and I think there may be a danger of Ward's ineptitude elevating our assessment of Schmeichel, who was obviously a terrific player for us but towards the end probably wasn't what I would consider one of the better keepers in the league. Even if we were only able to afford/attract a fairly average keeper for this level - e.g. someone in the Fabianski, Guaita sort of bracket - I think we'd be far, far better off.

Spot on.

Particularly about Schmeichel who was clearly reaching the end of a Premier League career.

Having Ward now makes me think back on Kasper VERY fondly. 

Even the Fabianski’s of this world are proven Premier League standard keepers and are head and shoulders above Ward.

Guest Col city fan
2 hours ago, FoxTimmy2 said:

Some bargain that was. We didn’t pay much for Vardy either. 

How much did we give for Danny Ward?

Vards was 750k I believe, rising to a cool mill with ‘add ons’

I’d say that was pretty good value…

Guest Col city fan
9 hours ago, Mike Oxlong said:

How he manages to hold down the number one spot in a Premier League Team is beyond me. I bet his Mrs doesn’t even trust him to operate the pop up toaster ! 

He keeps dropping the toast as his positioning is all wrong!

You need to get over the slots in the toaster to catch the fooker as it pops up. He’s placing his feet too far off

😉

4 hours ago, Mike1983 said:

Ward is not a mid table PL keeper. Leno, Fabianski, Guiatta, Sanchez, Martinez, Henderson, Sa, Raya are current mid table PL keepers - Ward isn’t fit to be their understudy! 

Fans are not being ridiculous here, it’s questionable whether Ward is good enough for Championship let alone the PL. He lacks significantly quality and it be nice to get the Allison regen but I’d settle for a equivalent of our direct competitors and the list above. 

Edited by Mickyblueeyes
  • Like 1