Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfcfoz

Danny Ward

16 minutes ago, Daggers said:

He’s never going to be a top class keeps. But he could be competent. Being over exposed by his backline does him no favours. 

In the grand scheme, this is an irrelevance given the shambles in the manager’s office. In a normal season we’d be talking about the No.1 as a position we could strengthen in January rather than vilifying the man. 

In a normal season without our current manager, who appears to have lost the plot, we would play the better keeper already on our books in Daniel Iversen.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EnglishOxide said:

I think people have been harsh on him as he has got a Rodgers coached defence in front of him so it's hard to tell if he's any good or not. 

That said, with Kasper gone that no 1 shirt should be up for grabs this season and Iversen should get his turn to show what he's all about.

Over 50% of the shots on goal he faces go into the net so far this season. A cardboard cutout of Peggy Arphexad wouldn’t do much worse.

12 minutes ago, tickler28 said:

He's not Premier League number 1 standard but saying that I don't even think Schmeichel would have earned us many more points this season....problem is deeper than just Ward but yeah....he has to be replaced

Kasper would've stopped at least 2, but possibly 4 of yesterday's goals. I honestly believe that.

Anyone remember Hamer for Huddersfield vs us a few years back? He just looked so small, passive, disengaged and slow. I debated whether he was actually throwing the game for us he was so bad. The difference between him and every other PL keeper I've seen in the last 20 years was stark. Every week this season I've had the same flashbacks when watching Ward. So far below the required standard, on every front.

• Like 1

Don't understand why Rodgers said he has 2 number 1's? He looks to have about 1 good save a match, everything else is a goal.

I've got no idea why he was given the number 1 shirt right from the off, he's 29 and has hardly any league experience! 1 loan season more than 5 years ago that's it, how you supposed to be confident week in week out.

Also there were a few decent experienced keepers up for grabs, could of even taken gone for a championship number 1!

Just another example of poor strategy, recruitment and management!

1 hour ago, tickler28 said:

He's not Premier League number 1 standard but saying that I don't even think Schmeichel would have earned us many more points this season....problem is deeper than just Ward but yeah....he has to be replaced

I don’t agree with you about kasper. He is one of the best shot stoppers I’ve ever seen. We should have pencilled in pope before the season ended if we had an inkling about kasper leaving. Sadly Ward is not the answer. 

I do agree with you though that the problem is much deeper. It’s not just Brendan either and the mentality of the players. It is the senior management’s responsibility to ask questions and check that their colleagues don’t make duff decisions and board to oversee this. This is the one time that I have serious concerns about the owners too but even then there are problems in that their business has had a disastrous few years in terms of revenue. That said anyone with any pride and ambition should be looking at this situation thinking they can make a difference in fixing this mess. 

1 hour ago, EnglishOxide said:

I think people have been harsh on him as he has got a Rodgers coached defence in front of him so it's hard to tell if he's any good or not. 

That said, with Kasper gone that no 1 shirt should be up for grabs this season and Iversen should get his turn to show what he's all about.

It's not hard to tell at all. His positioning is non exsistent and he avoids the ball as best he can. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EnglishOxide said:

It's not harsh. He's literally conceded 1 for every 2 shots on goal. You can't blame the defence for that. Those are league 1 level goalkeeper chucked in at a premier league side kind of shot stopping stats. Iversen has to be given a go. Ward is useless. He manages to almost curl up into a ball he makes himself so small. If its a confidence issue and he's somehow good in training well a decent Keeper needs to be crazy enough that they don't bottle it when put in the first team in a proper match. He's 29 if he hasn't got that now then he never will. 

• Like 1

I know he made a decent save late in the first half when he touched one onto the bar but he simply needs to make more good saves at this level. None of the goals were purely his fault but he’s let five in then followed it a week later with six. Meanwhile the French lad at the other end has made two massive game changing saves, one on half time from Madders and the Daka header. Them saves were huge yesterday.  

3 minutes ago, OwnGoal said:

I know he made a decent save late in the first half when he touched one onto the bar but he simply needs to make more good saves at this level. None of the goals were purely his fault but he’s let five in then followed it a week later with six. Meanwhile the French lad at the other end has made two massive game changing saves, one on half time from Madders and the Daka header. Them saves were huge yesterday.  

I wouldn't put him in goal again until his confidence is up and iversen has messed up his chance. I'd put Danny in the u23's and put smithies on the bench

6 minutes ago, OwnGoal said:

that's the same thing though - Ward's save was totally in vain because our defence is just porous. Lloris save from Daka was backed up by the fact the Spurs defence were actually getting within ten yards of the strikers and defending aggressively. If he makes that save and our defence/system is better he get's applauded for saving us a point. Fact is you could have Schmeichel, Lloris, Ederson, Allison whoever in goal behind our lot right now and they'd concede, we're wide open.

If we're giving Ward pelters for conceding goals, Evans has been gash for much of the season and that stupid nothing pass to Ndidi yesterday was the latest symptom. We've so far had Amartey, Ndidi and Faes next to him in the middle and we're wide open every game. Ward's had his faults but scapegoating him is just covering the fact that our backline right now is all over the place.

• Like 1