Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfcfoz

Danny Ward

Guest Col city fan

Still can’t believe that anyone thought he’d be a good enough replacement for Schmeichel.

That said, Donnarumma would struggle behind this defence.

Just watched the highlights back from Saturdays game. Christ, the space both in front of our defence and the gap between the two CB’s was big enough to get a bus through.

First rule of defending as a CB is to act like a magnet between each other. Where one goes, the other goes in line with them. If you watch our two CB’s against Spurs they were miles apart.

Thats probably because they aren’t used to playing together.

Conclusion: we are terrible at defending and it’s not all Ward’s fault. Though he don’t help!

I think it demonstrates just how often Schmeichel saved us from bigger poundings last season.

2 hours ago, Mike Oxlong said:

He’s about the level of the outfield player that goes in goal when your goalie’s been sent off and you’ve used all your subs 

Haha. He isn’t quite that bad. I have nothing against Ward at all.  But he is not good enough for what we need and made worse by the fact that he looks out of form and devoid of confidence. Kasper was a big loss but we should have seen it coming and got one of the many great goalkeepers who moved this summer. I’m sure Pope for example would have got us more points by now and given the whole team a boost. Pound for pound I have always thought investing in a great keeper is a sound investment. 

That said the management must have known the financial situation well before the end of the season. I guess they couldn’t make that public as it would have made the situation worse. It makes Brendan’s post forest outburst even more confrontational. 

There's a notable gasp when he actually saves a shot. 

He doesn't seem to predict danger either when he has the ball or when someone's lining up a shot - He also doesn't move his feet and dive. 

His fundamentals are poor - trying to catch the ball with one hand, not covering off his near post. 

I think his Leicester career is already over  

When you're already struggling with form and morale it doesn't help that you are constantly 2-3 goals behind, you're not catching a break.

I mean yes our defense is shit, but half of the goals we have conceded has been goals you'd expect a PL goalie to save most of the time - Ward lacks the basic fundamentals to be playing at this level. I honestly think he's below championship level, and given that's where we seem to be headed, we need to get rid of him ASAP.

2 hours ago, Mike Oxlong said:

He’s about the level of the outfield player that goes in goal when your goalie’s been sent off and you’ve used all your subs 

Haha this is so true. How ridiculous.

I was initially supportive of him being given a run, but I think that was based on his performances for Wales. How wrong I was.

Have such a flakey base is a recipe for disaster at the PL level, and the rest of the side must have no confidence at all.

Obviously Iversen should get the gig now. It’s so painfully obvious. Or even Stolarcyzk - I was really impressed with the latter in pre season.

Edited by Wasyls Pec Deck

On 18/09/2022 at 16:24, iancognito said:

Nah. The only one he should have done better with is Son's hat-trick. The only difference is Schmeichel would have been out on the edge of his box afterwards bolocking our useless defence for - yet again - being nowhere near the guy having a free shot. Let's not pretend Kasper never conceded 5s and 6s playing for us, even 7 against Spurs. Great shot stopper but nowhere near the Lev Yashin status he's aquired in the last 2 months

When our current goalie plays like any goalie you'd pull out of a sunday league side, then yes it does make Kasper seem like Lev Yashin in comparison.

8 minutes ago, phoneticerror said:

I’ve been in the FT slammer for a month 😂😂

I think the last month has just proved me to be 100% right on the whole Danny Ward situation. Not much more I can say that I haven’t already said, but I’ll say it again anyway. He’s shite!

Yes Ward is shite, yes he's absolutely fkn useless, but it's not his fault it's the manager who chooses the squad.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

Bet the **** saves everything against England at the world cup.

That's if he keeps his place, funny that actually playing games could cost him his place internationally. 

Nope. He is now the no.2. Wayne Hennessey told his place back after Ward's injury against Austria. He did fine and Page sticked to him against Ukraine, and he single-handed won the match for Wales, becoming the national hero. It is a no-way back for Ward after that. 

Ward would have given Page a question to answer if he plays well this season, but instead, he is calamitous. You don't drop your No.1/national hero just because the no.2 plays more matches in the club recently (look at Guillermo Ochoa in Mexico, or Romero in Argentina ahead of Marchesin, Armeni and Rulli until his injury before world cup 2018). You only drop your no.1 because your no.2 plays well in the club regularly. But Ward obviously didn't play well- he was calamitous. Ward's performance has helped Page settle the question. 

Edited by francis39

9 hours ago, Mike1983 said:

Yes Ward is shite, yes he's absolutely fkn useless, but it's not his fault it's the manager who chooses the squad.

he may rather not play. he lacks confidence now. if he keeps playing, he keeps making mistakes and his confidence will reach the historic low

• Like 1

On 19/09/2022 at 15:13, Collymore said:

Could it be that's he just trying to get Ward into the World Cup team? Have they had a gentleman's agreement where he'll play Sept and October? Maybe this is giving Rodgers too much merit suggesting he's thinking of others though... 

Having said that, if he is putting a player before the club - that is awful.

The irony is that by playing him over these last few months he's probably cemented himself as a sub for the World Cup anyway! 

Ward was injured before Wales played against Austria, and Hennessey took his place. He did fine and kept his place against Ukraine and was the hero and the reason why they qualified.

Ward had no chance to start in the WC unless Wayne is injured, or he becomes a no.1 in the club and plays well.

The departure of Kasper opened the door for him, but as it shows, he has been abysmal and calamitous. Only a psycho would drop Wayne for Ward. But as Page said, he sticked to Wayne against Ukraine because Wayne had done nothing wrong against Austria and it would have been harsh to drop him.

It shows that he isn't a psycho and will not drop Wayne just because Ward plays 7 matches (with horrible performance week-in-week-out) vs Wayne's 1 at the beginning of the season