Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfcfoz

Danny Ward

10 hours ago, Mike1983 said:

When our current goalie plays like any goalie you'd pull out of a sunday league side, then yes it does make Kasper seem like Lev Yashin in comparison.

Also, it's not just about his reflex. His kicking is awful, always conceding the possession to the opponent and opened the door for their counter attack.

His commanding is awful, the defenders don't know where to stand and whom to defend. His positioning is awful, so the opponent's can score easily.

Maybe he is afraid of being the national shame so he doesn't want to play in the world cup, that's why he is basically telling rob page that he doesn't want to start in the world cup.

31 minutes ago, francis39 said:

Also, it's not just about his reflex. His kicking is awful, always conceding the possession to the opponent and opened the door for their counter attack.

His commanding is awful, the defenders don't know where to stand and whom to defend. His positioning is awful, so the opponent's can score easily.

Maybe he is afraid of being the national shame so he doesn't want to play in the world cup, that's why he is basically telling rob page that he doesn't want to start in the world cup.

He just seems to lack so many fundamental skills a professionel goalkeeper should have, i.e. position, awareness, etc.. 

And you’re right it does look like what was left of his confidence has been completely shattered - which is another recipe for disaster.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mike1983 said:

He just seems to lack so many fundamental skills a professionel goalkeeper should have, i.e. position, awareness, etc.. 

And you’re right it does look like what was left of his confidence has been completely shattered - which is another recipe for disaster.

he should have moved to a lower tier team or a newly promoted team to get first team football instead of coming to be the understudy of kasper at a growth age.

He has passed the critical period and unlike hennessey who played more than 400 games in his career, he hardly acquired the any week-in-week-out regular football rhythm. That's why Wayne is no.1 again in Wales and Page dropped Ward even before Ward's calamitous start of the season.

It may take him a long time to get into form. But the club cannot wait-it would have relegated by then. Give Iversen a chance, at least he has much more potential and has played many matches in recent years.

• Like 1

It's a similar situation to when we tried to replace Kante with King for the first half of the post title season. Replacing an established prem player with one who should only really make the occasional cameo creates a huge drop off in terms of quality and it shows even more with Ward being a keeper. 

Edited by Gubbins
  • Like 1

On 09/05/2022 at 02:19, phoneticerror said:

I love Wales as a country. But when Danny Ward is the best goalie in the talent pool, you’ve got no chance with the footie 😂😂

Wayne Hennessey is going to start. He played well in the playoffs after taking back the no.1 jersey due to Ward’s injury, he is the national hero, he is far more experienced, he commands the box well, and Ward’s appearance in the league has actually closed the door for him—only a psycho would pick him instead of Wayne for the Worlds.

57 minutes ago, phoneticerror said:

Completely agree. We need to give Iversen a try because chubby Ward ain’t going to be the guy for us.

At least he proved himself last season. And he is young, he has a higher ceiling. 

Ward hasnt really kicked a ball in club level since 2017. He has passed the critical period and has reached the ceiling.

8 games is a pretty healthy amount of time to judge whether a goalkeeper can handle the standard required in the PL. I imagine the collective sense is a bit like when you had a supply teacher at school; hard to take them seriously because they've not established any sense of authority in the group. 

What I find really strange with the incessant backing of him by BR, is the fact that Iversen was Preston's player of the year and played 46 games last season - in fact, he's played more games than Ward has in his career and he's 4 years younger. Matchday experience counts for a lot in football and it was clear in our EFL game (which, ironically is the only clean sheet we've kept this season) that Iversen has an air of authority about him. I can't remember a Leicester player in our recent history that's looked quite as bad in their position as him. You could argue with quite some conviction that a good shot-stopper would have saved 5 out of the 6 goals that Spurs scored last weekend. Just another display of arrogance, stubbornness and potentially nepotism from Brendan. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just watched the horror highlights again (don’t know why) and ward is simply not ready for prime time I’m sorry. Give Iverson a chance and hopefully he’s better at keeping the ball out of the net. January we need to be going all out for a serious high quality no.1 also some better defenders.

mad much as I want a quality right sided winger we have to sort this defense out or we are going straight down fast!

So many reasons that Iversen should start ahead of Ward now.

One that hasn’t been raised so much is that we have such a rebuild to do next summer, that if we can get Iversen to PL level (he’s so close already, we just haven’t seen it). Then that’s one less player we need to bring in.

Of all his odd decisions this season, not bringing Iversen in after his Stockport performance is one of the bigger ones to me 

If Ward fails to step up - I do think it’s harsh to judge him when the defence is so calamitously poor - it will be yet another indictment on Brendan’s failure to plan effectively. The club has gathered four non first team apparently talented goalkeepers in recent seasons and by now one should be ready to be first team first choice keeper. And Brendan should know who that is. With that apparent  strength in depth - we should not need to spend money on a new first team keeper to replace Schmeichel. Otherwise what is the point  in having all these others on our books at all? He should have spent the last season and a half judging who would be replacing Kasper and preparing them for that day. 

Posted this in reply to a comment in the Rodgers thread but thought it might be worth posting in here too…

If Ward had wanted regular football throughout his career, he’d have played at the level Iversen and Smithies have (and not necessarily played better than them at that level). 

Him being a number 3 at Liverpool and number 2 here, has somehow elevated his standing as a goalkeeper. When in reality, he’s absolutely bobbins. 

The whole dynamic changes when you go from being a number 2 to the number 1, leading the team out week in and week out.

The way the defenders shout back at him and argue in game shows he has no respect and cannot command.

Iverson should 100% be given the chance. 

I only worry that our current system and defensive issues are a much bigger problem as a whole.

Therefore when Iverson does come in, it will knock his confidence as we will still be losing, just maybe not by a 3+ goal difference

2 hours ago, HeskeyForever said:

8 games is a pretty healthy amount of time to judge whether a goalkeeper can handle the standard required in the PL. I imagine the collective sense is a bit like when you had a supply teacher at school; hard to take them seriously because they've not established any sense of authority in the group. 

What I find really strange with the incessant backing of him by BR, is the fact that Iversen was Preston's player of the year and played 46 games last season - in fact, he's played more games than Ward has in his career and he's 4 years younger. Matchday experience counts for a lot in football and it was clear in our EFL game (which, ironically is the only clean sheet we've kept this season) that Iversen has an air of authority about him. I can't remember a Leicester player in our recent history that's looked quite as bad in their position as him. You could argue with quite some conviction that a good shot-stopper would have saved 5 out of the 6 goals that Spurs scored last weekend. Just another display of arrogance, stubbornness and potentially nepotism from Brendan. 

This incessant backing when it’s clear Wardy is a major factor in our poor form, is one of the factors that makes me think BR is actively trying to engineer his own sacking.