Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfcfoz

Danny Ward

1 minute ago, taupe said:

"Amongst", yes, the biggest (which is what I said), no.

Let me put it this way; Rodgers out or new 'keeper?

Certain both. But if you had to pick between the two, swapping Iversen for Ward is an easier, quicker fix that costs nothing to make! 

1 minute ago, taupe said:

"Amongst", yes, the biggest (which is what I said), no.

Let me put it this way; Rodgers out or new 'keeper?

Either would save us from relegation. If neither happens we’re down. It’s not an either/or situation.

And what exactly is your point in saying “oh Danny Ward is only our 2nd biggest problem” anyway? I don’t get why you’re trying to even say if it wasn’t an attempt to play down what an absolutely monumental problem Ward is for us and how he’s already cost us 4-6pts single-handedly and we’re not even 1/4 of the way through the season yet.

12 minutes ago, Sampson said:

And what exactly is your point in saying “oh Danny Ward is only our 2nd biggest problem” anyway? I don’t get why you’re trying to even say if it wasn’t an attempt to play down what an absolutely monumental problem Ward is for us

For the record, I didn't actually say second biggest either ;)

But let's dial it down a notch please. No, of course it's not an either/or position in reality. I simply posited it as one to make the point that Ward is not out biggest problem at the moment. Rodgers is. Change him and we trigger a number of other beneficial changes - maybe even a change of keeper. You can see that, no? Consider it a moot point if you like.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, taupe said:

For the record, I didn't actually say second biggest either ;)

But let's dial it down a notch please. No, of course it's not an either/or position in reality. I simply posited it as one to make the point that Ward is not out biggest problem at the moment. Rodgers is. Change him and we trigger a number of other beneficial changes - maybe even a change of keeper. You can see that, no? Consider it a moot point if you like.

And change Ward and we trigger getting more points on the board and shooting up the league. 

Again, what’s your point in saying this? It’s like saying Kwasi Kwatang isn’t the biggest problem in the government when Liz Truss exists. Sure, but what’s the point in even saying it other than to play down Kwatang’s monumental damage to the economy? 

Ward is a massive problem for us, he’s costing us points single handedly, regardless of what else is happening at the club.

If it’s not an attempt to play down how much damage Ward is doing to our season, why are you bringing it up?

1 hour ago, Sampson said:

He absolutely are amongst the biggest concerns right now though. A half decent keeper and we’d probably be about 14th now, not great still, but not the spiralling disaster we’re currently in.

Can’t believe people constantly try and talk down how many points he keeps actively costing us and just what a monumental problem he is for us right now by saying “oh well, he’s not one of our big problem really”

He’ll cost us 15-20pts this season - that is a monumentally big concern.

He's costing us more points than that. I estimate 40 to 50 if not higher. The goalkeeper is our 5th defender. Our lynchpin. Our protector from goals. And he is throwing the ball into the net and jumping over it. We are wide open every attack.

We might as well have an open goal for the teams to shoot at.. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Parafox said:

The more you watch that, the worse it gets. Even a child wouldn't jump like a starfish if they were in goal.

In all honesty though, ridiculous as his effort was, he's hardly top of the blame list for that goal when one Bournemouth player has outjumped two defenders without even leaving the ground to head it to another who is completely unmarked in the middle of the box.

21 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Again, what’s your point in saying this?

21 minutes ago, Sampson said:

If it’s not an attempt to play down how much damage Ward is doing to our season, why are you bringing it up?

We're going around in circles. I've said what my point was - simply, and to reiterate, Rodgers is a bigger problem than Ward, imho.

It's a forum of a multitude of views and obviously you're under no obligation to agree with what I'm saying - but please don't suggest I have no right to "bring it up". 

Guest Col city fan
2 hours ago, Pliskin said:

I mean…….

DC6B7FCB-8119-49FD-804B-0F3FD5E77C49.jpeg

Whilst Ward is seemingly running in mid air like Penelope Pitstop, Amartey, as usual looks in on a completely unmarked striker scoring yet another goal.

What a fook up the defence at this club has become 

Whilst it's not great on either goal, I also think you are expecting a lot for him to save both like some have claimed, I don't think he's done as bad as others have claimed, but also think he's had ample opportunities and the only one Iverson has had resulted in him winning a penalty shootout for us.

6 hours ago, Parafox said:

The more you watch that, the worse it gets. Even a child wouldn't jump like a starfish if they were in goal.

I’ve played as a goalkeeper for 10+ years and you literally do goalkeeper training sessions that teach you to do this in that scenario. 

The way Christie is attacking that ball it looks like he’s going to hit it with power at close range, which is where you are taught to make yourself as big as possible in this scenario. 

Would he have saved it if he hadn’t have left the ground? Quite possibly, but if Christie had connected properly and Ward hadn’t have made himself as big as possible using the starfish technique (it is called that, Peter Schmeichel made it famous - Kasper used it often - if you can stomach it Kasper does it on the Deeney day goal in anticipation of Jonathan Hogg striking the ball like Christie chose to) then you’d probably be saying “if he’d have made himself bigger, then he might have saved that”. 

I’ve seen enough of him now to be about 80% certain he won’t be our number 1 for the long-term, but he isn’t at fault for either of the goals yesterday. It’s extremely hypercritical. 

Edited by pedmcl

48 minutes ago, pedmcl said:

I’ve played as a goalkeeper for 10+ years and you literally do goalkeeper training sessions that teach you to do this in that scenario. 

The way Christie is attacking that ball it looks like he’s going to hit it with power at close range, which is where you are taught to make yourself as big as possible in this scenario. 

Would he have saved it if he hadn’t have left the ground? Quite possibly, but if Christie had connected properly and Ward hadn’t have made himself as big as possible using the starfish technique (it is called that, Peter Schmeichel made it famous - Kasper used it often - if you can stomach it Kasper does it on the Deeney day goal in anticipation of Jonathan Hogg striking the ball like Christie chose to) then you’d probably be saying “if he’d have made himself bigger, then he might have saved that”. 

I’ve seen enough of him now to be about 80% certain he won’t be our number 1 for the long-term, but he isn’t at fault for either of the goals yesterday. It’s extremely hypercritical. 

I played as goalkeeper too, albeit 40 years ago so I guess training and techniques have changed over the years but, as someone mentioned earlier, when you look at the replay, he jumped starfish-like and at the same time turned sideways. Had he remained face-on, the ball might have hit him or a part of him, possibly his left leg, but he didn't, and a poor connection compounded the error.

FWIW I agree the scenario initially suggests he almost did the right thing, as coached, but by jumping to his right, as well as turning slightly as he jumped meant he had no chance of making contact with the ball. 

Also, what do you make of this angle? Not even a starfish jump. Lifts his legs and more or less jumps over the ball. Hardly making himself big, is he? No spread, no stability. No attempt to close the attacking player. Regardless of Amartey's side-show Bob's failings, he should have done much better. 

As a goalkeeper, surely you'd come out at pace, keep your feet on the ground, drop a knee and spread?

E907E54E-57C4-4C1A-91E6-CC55CC5CFEFF.jpeg

Also, flappy-paddle wrists for the second.

It looked as basic an error as it actually was.

Edited by Parafox