Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfcfoz

Danny Ward

6 hours ago, Chelmofox said:

100% happy to put my hands up and say that Rodgers might end up getting this one right. 

Remember, it was only a few weeks ago that there were tweets about saying this was going to be a 10-0 rout. Ward looked great today. Massive improvement.

Yes, Rodgers does.

I am still not 100 per cent convinced but Ward is looking so much better. I dont think he is elite at anything, (like Kasper was at shot stopping) but he is solid. Love how decisive he is when coming to claim the ball. A welcome change there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Just looks better behind a more organised defence…

No coincidence is it

Yes. I have always thought that Ward has no problem dealing with normal shots. His reflex isnt bad. His issue is 

coming out in 1 on 1 (he hadnt faced any one on ones since Awoniyi, and he was damn bad facing that shot, coming out and retreated, only for Awoniyi to hit it onto the bar), that the backline improved help him escaped from his 1 on 1 issue. 

And also facing crosses— he is still shaky, everytime even when he caught the crosses, it was v uncomfortable. due to His height. 

And thats why for those who said he should start in the WC, bear in mind Wales DFs arent Lei’s DFs😂😂. He has only played a fxcking 90mins for Wales this year. If it aint broken, dont fix it. V risky to change a goalkeeper in a WC when there isnt warmup match before WC

Edited by francis39

5 hours ago, Tanya said:

Yes, Rodgers does.

I am still not 100 per cent convinced but Ward is looking so much better. I dont think he is elite at anything, (like Kasper was at shot stopping) but he is solid. Love how decisive he is when coming to claim the ball. A welcome change there.

He is not a epl level goalkeeper. 

Nothing elite, poor at 1on1 positioning, poor at facing crosses, but at least he may not cause so many issues for the team now and can be trusted a little bit. 

Thats a pity that he was calamitous before the international break. Otherwise he might have started one of the two matches for Wales and got important minutes in playing with the fellows. Then, he could win the no.1 jersey in the WC. Now, with only 90 mins of international activity under his belt for the last 12 months, it is extremely unlikely that he can win back the no.1 jersey in WC. 

Or we can say, that he missed the playoffs and let Hennessey shine costed him dearly.

• Like 1

Like I said all along, with the amount of shots that defence was allowing on goal in the first few games, Shilton, Banks and Lev Yashin would have looked shite between the sticks. He made mistakes but some of the criticism was becoming ridiculous. People waking up without an erection were blaming it on the stress of Danny Ward in goal.

Just now, iancognito said:

Like I said all along, with the amount of shots that defence was allowing on goal in the first few games, Shilton, Banks and Lev Yashin would have looked shite between the sticks. He made mistakes but some of the criticism was becoming ridiculous. People waking up without an erection were blaming it on the stress of Danny Ward in goal.

He is not someone you can rely on to have heroic and titanic performance when being ousted for the whole match. Give him a stable backline, he would be fine. If the backline is shit——- have to go for Henderson, Guaita, Meslier, Hennessey etc. 

But if a goalkeeper cannot be relied upon to make stunning saves consistently, and would make low level mistakes when being always under pressure, why do we need to use this goalkeeper?

19 hours ago, phoneticerror said:

I stand by everything I’ve said historically. He has been appalling at times and far below premier league standard. With that said, he has started to show up and is developing himself which is really good to see. Must be working hard behind the scenes, and he’s earning my respect more than I thought he would.

He was never terrible in cup matches in previous years. I suspect his bad start to this season was more due to him coming in straight away after being out injured for months with no preseason. And now that he's finally match fit, he's playing more like we expected. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, francis39 said:

Yes. I have always thought that Ward has no problem dealing with normal shots. His reflex isnt bad. His issue is 

coming out in 1 on 1 (he hadnt faced any one on ones since Awoniyi, and he was damn bad facing that shot, coming out and retreated, only for Awoniyi to hit it onto the bar), that the backline improved help him escaped from his 1 on 1 issue. 

And also facing crosses— he is still shaky, everytime even when he caught the crosses, it was v uncomfortable. due to His height. 

And thats why for those who said he should start in the WC, bear in mind Wales DFs arent Lei’s DFs😂😂. He has only played a fxcking 90mins for Wales this year. If it aint broken, dont fix it. V risky to change a goalkeeper in a WC when there isnt warmup match before WC

What are you on about due to his height he’s 6ft 3 hardly a dwarf 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, francis39 said:

His height? He's 6ft3. Here's a list of current Premier League starting keepers, plus a couple extra like both Chelsea and Bournemouth keepers as those aren't settled yet. And I've included Schmeichel and Hennessey for obvious reasons. As you can see he's pretty average height for the league, he's taller or the same height as Alisson who's often considered one of the best in the world. Ederson who's the current champions keeper. Lloris a world cup winner and England's current number 1 Pickford. The current league leaders have a keeper an inch shorter. The joint tallest can't get a game over a keeper 1 inch shorter than Ward. At this point I think your just saying anything negative even if it has no basis.

6ft6

Sanchez

Hennessey

Meslier

6ft5

Martiniez

6ft4

Mendy

De Gea

Sa

6ft3

Travers

Neto

Guiata 

Ward

Alisson

Pope

Fabianski 

6ft2

Ramsdale

Kepa 

Ederson 

Henderson

Bazunu 

Lloris

Schmeichel 

6ft1

Pickford

6ft

Raya

Edited by Facecloth
  • Like 2

Guest Col city fan
6 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

His height? He's 6ft3. Here's a list of current Premier League starting keepers, plus a couple extra like both Chelsea and Bournemouth keepers as those aren't settled yet. And I've included Schmeichel and Hennessey for obvious reasons. As you can see he's pretty average height for the league, he's taller or the same height as Alisson who's often considered one of the best in the world. Ederson who's the current champions keeper. Lloris a world cup winner and England's current number 1 Pickford. The current league leaders have a keeper an inch shorter. The joint tallest can't get a game over a keeper 1 inch shorter than Ward. At this point I think your just saying anything negative even if it has no basis.

6ft6

Sanchez

Hennessey

6ft5

Martiniez

6ft4

Mendy

De Gea

Sa

6ft3

Travers

Neto

Guiata 

Ward

Alisson

Pope

Fabianski 

6ft2

Ramsdale

Kepa 

Ederson 

Henderson

Bazunu 

Lloris

Schmeichel 

6ft1

Pickford

6ft

Raya

You really do have too much time on your hands

👍

He seems to have some kind of magnet attached to him atm cus almost every shot on target in the last 3 or 4 games has been straight at him. The only decent save I recall is the one against Wolves. So it's hard to judge his shot stopping.

The command and bravery is something that he's shown all season though. The ball definitely seems to be sticking better now, which confidence helps a lot with. You tend to overthink things when the confidence is down whereas he looks like he's doing things on instinct and looking very clean. 

Surely he won't want to go back to being a number 2 though now he's had some game time, so it'll be interesting to see what happens in the summer. I think we could still do with strengthening but it's nice to see there's a keeper in there. This next part is gonna be hard to type... Fair play to Rodgers to sticking with him and having the belief in him. I did say that he should get 10 games minimum, but it was very hard for me to keep making that case after we conceded a billion goals in first 6/7 games.

Playing some weaker teams and having Faes in there will have helped his confidence no end. The big test now is when we're playing teams that aren't a free hit, but also aren't going to roll over to have their tummies tickled. Lucky for us there's a world cup break before we play Newcastle because they're on fire atm.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

6ft6

Sanchez

Hennessey

6ft5

Martiniez

6ft4

Mendy

De Gea

Sa

6ft3

Travers

Neto

Guiata 

Ward

Alisson

Pope

Fabianski 

6ft2

Ramsdale

Kepa 

Ederson 

Henderson

Bazunu 

Lloris

Schmeichel 

6ft1

Pickford

6ft

Raya

Would never have guessed De Gea was 6ft4 in a million years. Always looked a shortarse

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Just looks better behind a more organised defence…

No coincidence is it

And more confident in your defence too.

Not easy being a goalie when you suspect the oncoming attack could beat your defenders in any numbers of different ways and could shoot from practically anywhere.

48 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

You really do have too much time on your hands

👍

Takes 5 mins to go on Wikipedia and look at each teams keeper.....

I mean what do you mean, I knew them all anyway.

Edited by Facecloth
  • Haha 1

Give the man a break. I’ve been hard on him too but he’s not put a foot wrong recently. Doesn’t matter who we are playing. Not too long ago the whole team was looking hopeless. A gift for ANY team.

we’ve stopped sleep walking and playing with focus and determination to climb the table. Ward couldn’t do anything about that free kick from Kevin-da-glum. Plus he had the sun in his eyes too. Apart from that moment we looked set to get a vital point.

show some fight and win our next 2 games than see where we are

I think he’ll improve sufficiently for us to attract offers for him in the summer. He’s a prem keeper but not a top 10 prem keeper. I know we are 18th atm but I’m sure we have aspirations of being too 10 again so that’s the team you want to build. We’ll probably plan on getting a new keeper end of season and he’ll get an offer from a newly promoted team  or low prem team to be a nailed on starter and he’ll take it and he’ll be happy and we’ll all be happy for him.

2 hours ago, brucey said:

He was never terrible in cup matches in previous years. I suspect his bad start to this season was more due to him coming in straight away after being out injured for months with no preseason. And now that he's finally match fit, he's playing more like we expected. 

Is it fair to say he was poor due to the lack of match fitness? Every sub goalkeeper is thrown into the match without match fitness. 

When he does well, it is becoz he is good?

When he does badly, it is becoz he wasnt fit? LOL 

I think we cannot say he is good until after a whole season. 

He is still statistically the worst starting GK in the league according to whoscored after 13 matches. 

1 hour ago, filbertway said:

He seems to have some kind of magnet attached to him atm cus almost every shot on target in the last 3 or 4 games has been straight at him. The only decent save I recall is the one against Wolves. So it's hard to judge his shot stopping.

The command and bravery is something that he's shown all season though. The ball definitely seems to be sticking better now, which confidence helps a lot with. You tend to overthink things when the confidence is down whereas he looks like he's doing things on instinct and looking very clean. 

Surely he won't want to go back to being a number 2 though now he's had some game time, so it'll be interesting to see what happens in the summer. I think we could still do with strengthening but it's nice to see there's a keeper in there. This next part is gonna be hard to type... Fair play to Rodgers to sticking with him and having the belief in him. I did say that he should get 10 games minimum, but it was very hard for me to keep making that case after we conceded a billion goals in first 6/7 games.

Playing some weaker teams and having Faes in there will have helped his confidence no end. The big test now is when we're playing teams that aren't a free hit, but also aren't going to roll over to have their tummies tickled. Lucky for us there's a world cup break before we play Newcastle because they're on fire atm.

the only difficult save is the one against Podence

6 hours ago, Leeds Fox said:

Come on the. @francis39. Let’s find something to say about Danny Ward today… 

Call me back when he finally played great in more matches than played awfully 

still definitely costed us more points than he earned for us this season 

XGA: 18.97 

conceded: 25 

Edited by francis39

6 minutes ago, francis39 said:

Is it fair to say he was poor due to the lack of match fitness? Every sub goalkeeper is thrown into the match without match fitness. 

When he does well, it is becoz he is good?

When he does badly, it is becoz he wasnt fit? LOL 

I think we cannot say he is good until after a whole season. 

He is still statistically the worst starting GK in the league according to whoscored after 13 matches. 

He had a lack of training, not match fitness. You mentioned earlier in the thread about Hennessey coming in for Wales after not playing but he was still training. Ward missed most of the pre season. If pre season had no effect on keepers we wouldn't bother getting them in for it.

22 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

He had a lack of training, not match fitness. You mentioned earlier in the thread about Hennessey coming in for Wales after not playing but he was still training. Ward missed most of the pre season. If pre season had no effect on keepers we wouldn't bother getting them in for it.

So did people overstate the importance of regular playing time of a goalkeeper? LOL

Is training all they needed? 

Edited by francis39