Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfcfoz

Danny Ward

3 minutes ago, francis39 said:

So did people overstate the importance of regular playing time of a goalkeeper? LOL

Is training all they needed? 

Not at all, but he hadn't trained at all, where as Hennessey had.

I see you completely ignored the height post though, but you keep trying mate lol

4 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Not at all, but he hadn't trained at all, where as Hennessey had.

I see you completely ignored the height post though, but you keep trying mate lol

Im only comparing him with hennessey, so Hennessey claims crosses far more easily coming with Ward

But ppl said becoz he didnt play regularly in his club while Ward did so Ward shd start for Wales (completely ignoring that Ward didnt play well for 60% of the matches this season, their national team performance and their diff in exp)

Edited by francis39

Just now, francis39 said:

Im only comparing him with hennessey, so Hennessey claims crosses far more easily coming with Ward

Why are you only comparing him to Hennessey when you a critiquing his performance in league as a whole? 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, francis39 said:

But ppl said becoz he didnt play regularly in his club while Ward did so Ward shd start for Wales (completely ignoring that Ward didnt play well for 60% of the matches this season, their national team performance and their diff in exp)

Obviously a keeper who is playing regularly is better to select than one that isn't, but its not that important, especially if they are training. An international manager might prefer someone who is regularly playing competitive games, as they might be slightly sharper, but they'll be equally as fit. People were just pointing out Ward missed the whole of preseason, pretty much, and that will have more of an effect on his form, the not training part.

Edited by Facecloth
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, brucey said:

He was never terrible in cup matches in previous years. I suspect his bad start to this season was more due to him coming in straight away after being out injured for months with no preseason. And now that he's finally match fit, he's playing more like we expected. 

Forest FA Cup 

• Like 2

"Tell me what you need": Rob Page listening to Gareth Bale ahead of Qatar World Cup 

The Wales manager is working with his senior players to try and get the most out of their performances in Qatar

Wales manager Rob Page is taking an active approach in understanding what his senior players, such as Gareth Bale, require in order to perform at their optimum ahead of the Qatar World Cup. 

Speaking individually to these players, Page then says he has the information he needs to tailor training accordingly. Believing it is the best way to get the most out of his senior stars, Page suggests it is about showing respect so that he is repaid with high-quality performances. 

Speaking exclusively to FourFourTwo in the latest issue, a World Cup special available to order, Page explains: "I pull in each of the senior players – Wayne Hennessey, Joe Allen, Aaron Ramsey, Gareth, all of the players who might need a little bit more care – and just see where they’re at. I show them that respect. 

"I have five minutes with them and check what they need to get them out there. I’ll work backwards – if the game is on Saturday, tell me what you need and we’ll factor that into training. 

course, that group of four core aforementioned players range in age between 31 and 35, with Ramsey and Bale in particular both suffering from well-documented injury problems the last few years. 

After reading this article, I think Page has made up his mind.
No way he would tailor made his training for Hennessey if he is not going to start him. they have the cap record holder in Chris Gunter too but he didnt tailor made the training schedule for him. 

8 hours ago, Facecloth said:

Obviously a keeper who is playing regularly is better to select than one that isn't, but its not that important, especially if they are training. An international manager might prefer someone who is regularly playing competitive games, as they might be slightly sharper, but they'll be equally as fit. People were just pointing out Ward missed the whole of preseason, pretty much, and that will have more of an effect on his form, the not training part.

8 hours ago, Chelmofox said:

Think its clear he wasn't fit when he started the season. Can't work out if Brendan sticking with him was bad or good management. If he wan't fit, Iversen should really have started the season.

It may have probably caused us a few points n we would be v much better than 18th had we started a healthy goalkeeper. Ward better than the survival of the club

you have your point. If Ward is the no.1, no way for Hennessey to overtake him without club game time.

If they were both played alternately, Ward wins too. 

But the no.1 berth is Hennessey’s to lose now, 13-game wise, Ward hasnt done enough to persuade Page that he warrants to climb up the ladder. Fans look at recent form; coaches look at a bigger sample size (otherwise Rodgers may have dropped him after the first 9 matches!) 

Same goes for Romero, Ochoa and Lehmann or Neuer etc. They hardly kicked a ball the season before the major tournament (s) yet they were given the nod ahead of the teammates who started for their club for the whole season and done pretty well, becoz of their experience and tendency to do well in national team, let alone the fact that Ward has actually started in club football for only 2.5 months. If the wc were held in 2023 summer, and ward keeps playing like recently til the end of the season, I think he will start. But it werent though. 

As quoted in the previous comment, I really cannot see Page thinking the other way round becoz he had talked to the 4 core senior members to tailor made the training schedule for them to make sure they bring out their best in the WC (not every senior members— the cap record holder wasnt talked to becoz he is going to be a benchwarmer)

Edited by francis39

3 hours ago, phoneticerror said:

Forest FA Cup 

To be honest, he didnt really have many errors before this season, aside from a miskick howler against Czech, but his positioning is too bad that made lots of saveable shots looks like world class shots. 

Considering the amount of questionable positions and errors leading to goals in such a small sample size (he is still the starting EPL goalkeeper with the lowest whoscored score this season, showing how calamitous he was in the first 8-9 matches) it is weird that most guys here believe he should be given more chances. A goalkeeper had to be ready once he is given a chance- a mistake and he could be out. Why is he an exemption? 

Edited by francis39

8 hours ago, francis39 said:

It may have probably caused us a few points n we would be v much better than 18th had we started a healthy goalkeeper. Ward better than the survival of the club

Ward has cost us precisely one goal this season. That's it. One. The reason we have conceeded so many goals was not Ward - it was down to the number of shots on target we as a team were allowing the opposition. I think we conceded 46 shots on target in the first 10 games - more than anyone else. And that's not down to the keeper. That comes from defense and midfield. We've seem to have sorted that out in the last few games; teams are having fewer shots and what do you know, medically we stop conceding. 

If we had the best GK in the world between the sticks we'd still be 18th in the league. Anyone who blames Ward for where we are doesn't understand football. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sean2000 said:

Ward has cost us precisely one goal this season. That's it. One. The reason we have conceeded so many goals was not Ward - it was down to the number of shots on target we as a team were allowing the opposition. I think we conceded 46 shots on target in the first 10 games - more than anyone else. And that's not down to the keeper. That comes from defense and midfield. We've seem to have sorted that out in the last few games; teams are having fewer shots and what do you know, medically we stop conceding. 

If we had the best GK in the world between the sticks we'd still be 18th in the league. Anyone who blames Ward for where we are doesn't understand football. 

LMAO.. Look at Whoscored… He got <6 in 5 matches becoz of his errors. 

The shots by Solanke.. a decent goalkeeper wouldnt have jumped up. 

The long ball to Man Utd and let them counter attack and scored

The howler against Arsenal and let Xhaka score

He could have saved quite a few more should he had a better positioning. 

Dont think Leicester would still be at 18th if they had a better GK. At least 2 more points and will be in top 15 

He has the lowest Whoscored score among all starting GKs

although Henderson conceded more than him, Henderson had a far better score. More key saves. fewer errors.

Edited by francis39
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, westernpark said:

Burton Albion in 2019, poor technique for their goal also. 

Lack of experience of top flights heavily while being already 29… So his ceiling is only that much. He can save the goals a goalkeeper is expected to save. Nothing elite. 

28 minutes ago, francis39 said:

Lack of experience of top flights heavily while being already 29… So his ceiling is only that much. He can save the goals a goalkeeper is expected to save. Nothing elite. 

He's a poor goalkeeper, but his defence has improved in the last few games. This has limited the shots he has seen. Except for the Wolves save, no clean sheet should be credited to him. In the Nottingham Forest game, there were two moments when his indecisiveness would have led to a goal against better finishing.

• Like 1

On 31/10/2022 at 01:09, francis39 said:

you have your point. If Ward is the no.1, no way for Hennessey to overtake him without club game time.

If they were both played alternately, Ward wins too. 

But the no.1 berth is Hennessey’s to lose now, 13-game wise, Ward hasnt done enough to persuade Page that he warrants to climb up the ladder. Fans look at recent form; coaches look at a bigger sample size (otherwise Rodgers may have dropped him after the first 9 matches!) 

Same goes for Romero, Ochoa and Lehmann or Neuer etc. They hardly kicked a ball the season before the major tournament (s) yet they were given the nod ahead of the teammates who started for their club for the whole season and done pretty well, becoz of their experience and tendency to do well in national team, let alone the fact that Ward has actually started in club football for only 2.5 months. If the wc were held in 2023 summer, and ward keeps playing like recently til the end of the season, I think he will start. But it werent though. 

As quoted in the previous comment, I really cannot see Page thinking the other way round becoz he had talked to the 4 core senior members to tailor made the training schedule for them to make sure they bring out their best in the WC (not every senior members— the cap record holder wasnt talked to becoz he is going to be a benchwarmer)

In the end,it’s down to the manager,and his last minute hard thought feelings.

He might prefer one characteristic to another…

But for Wales,I have an interest in the Wales GK choice,but whatever my thoughts lean towards how Ward actually performs for us…

20 hours ago, Sean2000 said:

Whilst I understand that Ward's level of negative impact has been overstated, I feel like you might be going a little too hard in the other direction. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Whilst I understand that Ward's level of negative impact has been overstated, I feel like you might be going a little too hard in the other direction. 

Ward has been a major reason why we are now ranked 18. With a decent goalkeeper like Henderson we would easily been in 12-14th. 

• Haha 1

He had a very poor start but has improved a lot.

Against Man City specifically he made a few good saves and commanded his area well while defending set pieces,  with one two-handed catch on the stretch being particularly impressive.

He's warming up and his relationship with his defence is as much a part of his performance as anything else. When there's mutual trust there, the performances of the individuals and the collective also improve.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

In the end,it’s down to the manager,and his last minute hard thought feelings.

He might prefer one characteristic to another…

But for Wales,I have an interest in the Wales GK choice,but whatever my thoughts lean towards how Ward actually performs for us…

Agree. Leicester fans would go for Ward, certainly. But Page… he will pick a player based on how he performs for Wales. after all, that player played well in the club doesnt mean that he plays well with his national team (Ward had been pretty good for Wales bar vs Czech and Belgium, but he had rarely played for the Wales team this year. He doesnt have a warm-up game for trial before the WC as well, making it difficult for him to overtake Hennessey in the WC. Im pretty sure he will be reinstated for 2024 Euros cycle though as Hennessey is not young anymore.)

• Like 1

Guest Col city fan
49 minutes ago, francis39 said:

Ward has been a major reason why we are now ranked 18. With a decent goalkeeper like Henderson we would easily been in 12-14th. 

No, don’t agree at all.

We’re 18th due to a collective run of bad performances. 

20 hours ago, westernpark said:

He's a poor goalkeeper, but his defence has improved in the last few games. This has limited the shots he has seen. Except for the Wolves save, no clean sheet should be credited to him. In the Nottingham Forest game, there were two moments when his indecisiveness would have led to a goal against better finishing.

I agree. But fans are usually shallow and only look at CSs. Awoniyi let him run away with an awful positioning by a poor finish. 

He had never faced another one on one since vs Bournemouth. 

The only great save was Podence’s. Other saves r all what a goalkeeper is expected to save. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, francis39 said:

I agree. But fans are usually shallow and only look at CSs. Awoniyi let him run away with an awful positioning by a poor finish. 

He had never faced another one on one since vs Bournemouth. 

The only great save was Podence’s. Other saves r all what a goalkeeper is expected to save. 

We should get Danny's address for you so you can drop off your analysis and insights in person to him. Though you've probably got it judging how he lives rent free in your head. 

• Haha 1