Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfcfoz

Danny Ward

3 hours ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Checking in on @francis39.. you ok bro ? 

1 hour ago, baldeagle said:

Wash your mouth out,  Francis will not be having any of that nonsense 

I won't hesitate praising Ward's form. He has been great in this whole month after the international break.

But I still think Hennessey will start, due to the 'don't fix it if it ain't broken' inclination of Page, and his experience, his consistency for the national team, as well as commanding which will be vital in matches with such a high pressure.

Also, I think Page would have reservation on Ward seeing his performances in Aug/Sept and his howler against Czech in a clutch match which could have sent Wales into a non-seeded position in the playoffs. Performance in the national team matters more than in the club for a national team manager. One howler and you could be blacklisted forever. And Ward has played good in 6 club matches after doing bad in 8. really a sufficient sample size? The national coaches look for stability and do not change a goalkeeper too often — you dont have a lot of international matches to test and trial a no.2 goalkeeper who is in form.

Maybe 11-12 in 14 would suffice and would have secured Ward a starting berth in 1 of the 2 matches in the previous international break, and showed his capability to Page. Now he doesn't even have another warm-up match  to show for.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/tell-me-what-you-need-rob-page-listening-to-gareth-bale-ahead-of-qatar-world-cup

And just read this article. Page has obviously decided to stick to these 4 veterans (chris gunter isn't included).

Ward will come in... if Hennessey drops a howler against USA, or if Page considered Hennessey really bad that he would have to waste all the world cup preparation which are centred around Hennessey as the core part of the backline, and reinstate Ward who has played a grand total of 90mins this year for Wales. but i expect ward to fully become the no.1 in the euro24 cycle

Edited by francis39

13 minutes ago, jim5000 said:

Because he’s not conceded from a set piece (apart from a KDB wonder strike) for 7 matches?

The backline has done a great job as well protecting him. He always fails to catch the ball or punch it far enough in set pieces though. he has a good reflex for the low shots, but not good from set pieces. To be honest, Page may also rotate his goalkeepers based on his needs. Facing more low shots- Ward? Facing more crosses--Hennessey?

Edited by francis39

10 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

I'm still not his biggest fan, but he was good today. Tonight was the sort of performance I expected from him at the start of the season; decent to good but not up to Kasper's level. If he plays like tonight every week he'll do us fine though!

Long-term we need to sign someone though, I'm still convinced of that.

I’m starting to get ‘better fit for the team’ vibes from him though (than Kasper). Plus Kasper was coming towards the end of his career.

Kasper also was great when he had a solid defence (Morgan, Huth etc) but we were a shambles in defence with him in goal for some time and he has very obvious weaknesses.

Ward was poor earlier in the season but this is a guy who had barely played so I’m starting to think more than he just needed time to settle in and let’s be honest the club was all over the place in the first 7 games so not easy to do that. 

Kasper had amazing highs with us such as the saves in the FA cup final and of course the Championship and Premier League title wins but Ward seems like he may be more consistent/solid without the extreme highs and stand out for the cameras performances but also not the lows.

Time will tell anyway!

44 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

I’m starting to get ‘better fit for the team’ vibes from him though (than Kasper). Plus Kasper was coming towards the end of his career.

Kasper also was great when he had a solid defence (Morgan, Huth etc) but we were a shambles in defence with him in goal for some time and he has very obvious weaknesses.

Ward was poor earlier in the season but this is a guy who had barely played so I’m starting to think more than he just needed time to settle in and let’s be honest the club was all over the place in the first 7 games so not easy to do that. 

Kasper had amazing highs with us such as the saves in the FA cup final and of course the Championship and Premier League title wins but Ward seems like he may be more consistent/solid without the extreme highs and stand out for the cameras performances but also not the lows.

Time will tell anyway!

He has earned his right to be given much time after 5 steady shows, if not spectacular. 

But still, he was awful in the first 8-9, so we cannot evaluate whether he is good enough or not. Lets evaluate after the season. 

• Like 3

Again in the Everton Match he has made 2 saves that have stopped us giving away an advantage that we had worked hard to build. The save with his feet from calvert lewin clean through was a great save.  Just like those that schmeichel used to make. It just wasnt followed by the bellicose roar and chest thumping. He will end up with 10-12 clean sheets no doubt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FosseSpark said:

Again in the Everton Match he has made 2 saves that have stopped us giving away an advantage that we had worked hard to build. The save with his feet from calvert lewin clean through was a great save.  Just like those that schmeichel used to make. It just wasnt followed by the bellicose roar and chest thumping. He will end up with 10-12 clean sheets no doubt.

Yap. Even though a decent striker would have chipped the ball up, it is still a great save. 

It was always a confidence thing with Ward. Jaspers boots are huge and trying to fill them would have been nerve shredding. Add to that the whole team began the season like dog muck, I think it is understandable that Ward struggled. 

Bit of confidence now. Team playing better. More organised at the back. He’s making better decisions and hopefully he continues his form. Fair play to the lad and to Brendan for sticking with him. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

Yep looked at him and no chance. He was 2 yards away when he took the shot. 

Your saying a player running onto a ball could then chip an on rushing 6ft4 ish keeper. No chance. 

That would prove how important coming out is. Ward was indecisive back in week 1-9, and costed us points

50 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Ward was the Welsh no 1 for qualifying and missed the play offs due to injury, I like his chances to start at the world cup

Unfortunately, he has lost his no.1 berth to Hennessey after the Ukraine match and has only played 90 mins for Wales in the whole 2022. (Hennessey 645, Adam Davies 75).

I cannot see him being reinstated unless Hennessey dropped a howler vs USA. (That’s Rob Page’s style of keeping the unit unchanged, if someone comes in and did nothing wrong he will continue, just like when Ward came in for injured hennessey)

If he had been given a chance in Oct rubbers against Poland or Belgium to build up understanding with the backline he may have a chance though.. now it is too little too late

Edited by francis39