Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfcfoz

Danny Ward

5 hours ago, TK95 said:

My instant thought was surely it's Danny's time now. Rodgers has forever insisted we've got two number ones here and when one is finally departing, it seems the obvious choice.

Big factor will be the extent to his injury of course. But with Iversen touted as another potential successor, why not let him start the season and prove his worth?

For being supposedly skint this season, it just feels like such an avoidable expense

Because it's such an awful position to piss about with. We need a number one. Can't be going into the season giving Iversen a chance, that not working out, then playing Ward.

Iversen has impressed wherever he's been at loan, he's done all he can, so he probably is worth giving a go. But there's something that just doesn't sit right with me having Iversen and Ward as the first two goalkeepers.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

If it isn't then I'm not sure why we paid so much for him or kept him all this time.

Precisely! It would be another nail in the coffin of our “squad management” policy if the departure of Kasper meant the signing of a new number one - having paid so much for Ward ..if he isn’t good enough he should have been sold long ago ..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Fox92 said:

Because it's such an awful position to piss about with. We need a number one. Can't be going into the season giving Iversen a chance, that not working out, then playing Ward.

Iversen has impressed wherever he's been at loan, he's done all he can, so he probably is worth giving a go. But there's something that just doesn't sit right with me having Iversen and Ward as the first two goalkeepers.

Its iversons time.

18 minutes ago, smudgerfox said:

Precisely! It would be another nail in the coffin of our “squad management” policy if the departure of Kasper meant the signing of a new number one - having paid so much for Ward ..if he isn’t good enough he should have been sold long ago ..

But you need a strong and able number two, who can be relied upon, this doesn’t always mean they will step up to be number one.

It’s hard to find someone who is happy to be back up, but has the ability to play a few games a season without the team losing too much. 
I don’t think many teams in the PL if they lost there number one keeper would look to their number two to take over without buying anyone new in.

• Like 3

Ward isn’t at the level to be a number 1 with us. Similar flaws with crosses as Schmeichel, not on the same level with shot stopping and seems to be way too laidback/passive with his defensive colleagues. Not just that, he currently appears to have a mysterious injury that the club have barely spoken about 🤷🏻‍♂️

do not rate him at all; but feel bad if he does play for us

atmosphere will be toxic if he starts dropping clangers; gonna be difficult for anyone to replace kasper really do not think ward has desire, skill or minerals for it

Guest Chocolate Teapot

I reckon he'll start the season as number 1 (if fit) regardless if we sign someone or not.

Might be worth us signing someone like Lafont and giving them a few weeks to settle.

Can very likely see this scenario - I reckon the hold up on Kasper isn't signing a replacement but will be dependent on how bad Ward's injury is.

1 hour ago, Nalis said:

Ward is a solid back up keeper but not sure he has the consistency for our level to be our first choice. Obviously hope I'm proven wrong if he will be.

I am not sure we can speak about "consistency for our level" with a player that has never played regularly. We have no idea what he'd be like after a run of games. (This is true for any backup). That's the main argument for bringing in a new #1: That they have been playing regularly at a high level.

However, Iversen has been playing regularly at a high-ish level. I think his clunkers in pre-season were because he was trying too hard to impress the gaffer, and I think more emphasis should be given to how he played at Preston.

In any event, I actually don't mind a GK battle for the shirt. I think Ward and Iversen bring different aspects to the squad, and it will be interesting if they are our two main choices.

• Like 3

Outside of the top two, how many truly outstanding goalkeepers are there in the Premiership? Are there many that are light years ahead of Ward or Iverson? 

Schmeichel was always going to be difficult to replace despite his foibles but he was hardly a world class goalkeeper when he arrived here. Time and match experience have made him what he is today like any new first team goalkeeper. 

Perhaps any money would be much better spent on the right sided player we need together with a move away from the tippy tappy slow play in around our own box, would cause our defence and subsequent new goalkeeper less problems and pressure in the first place.

25 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Iversen is still on a development curve, Ward isn't. Unless Ward is significantly better (he isn't) then playing him is pointless. 

Ward is coasting and getting a comfortable salary to sit on his arse for 90+% of matches. Move him on to a championship team where he will have a bit of a shock to actually have to earn a living 😂

Iverson isn’t ready, but I’d play him over Ward and think about the development trajectory. Baptism of fire could work. Could end up with us in a relegation battle too 

Edited by phoneticerror
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Everyone's gotta start somewhere though. How do you expect a player to be ready if they don't have a run of games 

2 minutes ago, TK95 said:

Everyone's gotta start somewhere though. How do you expect a player to be ready if they don't have a run of games 

It's a judgment call that only the coaching staff can make. The L'Equipe story apparently says we will only let Schmeichel go if we are able to buy a replacement, which - if true - suggests that Rodgers and the other coaches don't trust Ward or Iversen enough.

37 minutes ago, phoneticerror said:

Ward is coasting and getting a comfortable salary to sit on his arse for 90+% of matches. Move him on to a championship team where he will have a bit of a shock to actually have to earn a living 😂

Iverson isn’t ready, but I’d play him over Ward and think about the development trajectory. Baptism of fire could work. Could end up with us in a relegation battle too 

Iversen isn't incompetent. He's a professional footballer who was absolutely lorded by Preston fans just the same as KDH was lorded by Luton. Yeah maybe he makes a mistake here or there which costs a goal but it's not like we're putting the Swedish women's goalkeeper in the sticks is it.

6 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Iversen isn't incompetent. He's a professional footballer who was absolutely lorded by Preston fans just the same as KDH was lorded by Luton. Yeah maybe he makes a mistake here or there which costs a goal but it's not like we're putting the Swedish women's goalkeeper in the sticks is it.

So the bit where I said I’d pick him over Ward was interpreted as me comparing him to the Swedish womens goalkeeper 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️