Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfcfoz

Danny Ward

Not signing a new keeper is the difference between getting dragged back into a potential relegation fight vs not.

Look through the other 20 teams in the league, how many would you take Ward over their keeper? If we’re aiming to be a top 10 team then the answer to that question shouldn’t be more than 10 in such a crucial position.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, phoneticerror said:

I’m Danny’s biggest doubter, but the whole team was shite today. He shouldn’t take the brunt of the responsibility.

Tbf this is the Ward thread so the emphasis will be on him. The outfield players were poor as well but to some extent, that’s his opportunity to shine. He didn’t look good at crosses/corners, his decision making looked decidedly shaky and his kicking was poor.

5 minutes ago, Thebluefox85 said:

That header ward should be saving no problem he’s no number 1 that’s for certain! But until top grows a pair and clears Rodgers and his Rot out this club ward will be number 1 for along  time to come 

What a weird point of view. 

1 hour ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

Look through the other 20 teams in the league, how many would you take Ward over their keeper? If we’re aiming to be a top 10 team then the answer to that question shouldn’t be more than 10 in such a crucial position.

He's the worst number one in the league.

Ramsdale > Ward
Pope > Ward
Ederson > Ward
Lloris > Ward
de Gea > Ward
Sanchez > Ward
Alisson > Ward
Leno > Ward
Kepa/Mendy > Ward
Raya > Ward
Martinez > Ward
Meslier > Ward
Fabianski > Ward
Pickford > Ward
Sa > Ward
Bazuno > Ward

The only 3 that come close are Guaita, Henderson and Travers. At a push I'd probably only choose Ward over Travers.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

I'm yet to see a world class save, but I have seen lots of worrying signs.

At his best he's fine, at his worst he's a liability.

We need better.

Made a good save from a header against West Ham. Schmeichel would have been lauded for it as a world-class save but Ward doesn't.

Think there were a couple against Wolves, too?

Just now, StanSP said:

Made a good save from a header against West Ham. Schmeichel would have been lauded for it as a world-class save but Ward doesn't.

Think there were a couple against Wolves, too?

Decent saves. They only stand out because it's unusual for him to make good saves.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, lcfcsnow said:

He's the worst number one in the league.

Ramsdale > Ward
Pope > Ward
Ederson > Ward
Lloris > Ward
de Gea > Ward
Sanchez > Ward
Alisson > Ward
Leno > Ward
Kepa/Mendy > Ward
Raya > Ward
Martinez > Ward
Meslier > Ward
Fabianski > Ward
Pickford > Ward
Sa > Ward
Bazuno > Ward

The only 3 that come close are Guaita, Henderson and Travers. At a push I'd probably only choose Ward over Travers.

I think it is between Travers and Bazunu for the worst number 1

Then Ward

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

So he can't ever make world class saves because it's unusual for him to make good ones?

I'm saying those saves weren't world class. We should be expecting our Premier League goalkeeper to make some good saves.

1 hour ago, cruzFOX said:

Ward is a player that lays well when the team is playing well. When the rest our down he’s equal to it. He’s not the type of keeper who can keep us in s game when we really need him too. Just comedic defending today.

Opposite of Kasper. Kasper had so many games where he was great but the rest of the team were terrible but we'd still get a result as Kasper saves and leadership dragged us through. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jayfox26 said:

Opposite of Kasper. Kasper had so many games where he was great but the rest of the team were terrible but we'd still get a result as Kasper saves and leadership dragged us through. 

Opposite of not just Kasper, this is what makes a PL-class goalkeeper imo, someone who can occasionally save his team even when they're not performing. He's way too fragile and unstable. 

12 minutes ago, NewEnglandFox said:

He's only as good as the players in front of him and the players in front of him were absolutely garbage.

Not true at all. A good keeper means we are only 1-0 down after 30 mins

He really isn’t prem quality. Doesn’t make notable saves and is nervous wreck at sweeping up

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, eblair said:

Not true at all. A good keeper means we are only 1-0 down after 30 mins

He really isn’t prem quality. Doesn’t make notable saves and is nervous wreck at sweeping up

I would easily be described as a Ward hater over the 65 pages of this thread. Frankly I agree, he isn't premier League quality. But to ask him to save a goal today was unrealistic. And a 3-0 loss it's unrealistic that any keeper would ever be expected to save a point today.

Edited by NewEnglandFox

Is he the long term answers - no. 

Is he the immediate problem - no. 

I thought Iversen, Young or maybe even Stolarczyk long term would be the plan. None of those are seeing much football this season though.