Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfcfoz

Danny Ward

Rodgers clearly didn’t like Kasper personally.

Made the demeaning statement about having 2 number 1s when clearly not true 

Rodgers finally makes the fella with more footie knowledge and influence than him leave as unwelcome 

Rodgers now has an obligation….

Ward and the team have had a decent run but don’t lose sight of the opposition.

7 hours ago, NewEnglandFox said:

I would easily be described as a Ward hater over the 65 pages of this thread. Frankly I agree, he isn't premier League quality. But to ask him to save a goal today was unrealistic. And a 3-0 loss it's unrealistic that any keeper would ever be expected to save a point today.

See this is one of problems with Ward, it is really hard to pinpoint howlers on him. But fact is he just never makes the wonder save. And as others have said a Prem goalkeeper makes wonder saves every two games. Neither were errors but prem keeper makes the save and keeps you in the game.

his 1-1 technique also makes me feel sick most of the time, when he just jumps to his near post and hopes for best

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Sly said:

Is he the long term answers - no. 

Is he the immediate problem - no. 

I thought Iversen, Young or maybe even Stolarczyk long term would be the plan. None of those are seeing much football this season though. 

I don’t understand why Iversen hasn’t had a go yet, perhaps he isn’t performing in training?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

Rodgers finally makes the fella with more footie knowledge and influence than him leave as unwelcome 

to be fair Kasper did have a bit of a Diva personality when here.  He  had extremely high standards and would expect things to be done a certain way and in many cases that’s a good thing but  I can definitely see how that would clash with a manager who is equally authoritarian with how he wants things done.

Edited by MPH

2 hours ago, eblair said:

See this is one of problems with Ward, it is really hard to pinpoint howlers on him. But fact is he just never makes the wonder save. And as others have said a Prem goalkeeper makes wonder saves every two games. Neither were errors but prem keeper makes the save and keeps you in the game.

his 1-1 technique also makes me feel sick most of the time, when he just jumps to his near post and hopes for best

Off his line a half a second earlier and he saves the second goal. Other (better) keepers would’ve read the play better and given themselves half a chance at saving it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

Off his line a half a second earlier and he saves the second goal. Other (better) keepers would’ve read the play better and given themselves half a chance at saving it.

He’s indecisive. Never seen a Premier League keeper start to come and then not so much, or delay in making a move because he’s questioning himself.

• Like 4

I know Ward has his weaknesses but what player hasn't?

I've seen 'Dynamite' Tielemans mis-direct passes, Vardy & Barnes miss simple goal-scoring chances I could go on.

At the end of the day we saw a defence in front of Ward in disarray and not for the first time this season.

1 hour ago, David Hankey said:

I've seen 'Dynamite' Tielemans mis-direct passes, Vardy & Barnes miss simple goal-scoring chances I could go on.

At the end of the day we saw a defence in front of Ward in disarray and not for the first time this season.

The problem is it’s the one position on the pitch where you can’t make mistakes/have a glaring weakness. 

The vast majority of keepers are pretty unspectacular but reliable. Those at the very top level are reliable but then also have the ability to prevent goals the unspectacular but reliable keepers would concede.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

The problem is it’s the one position on the pitch where you can’t make mistakes/have a glaring weakness. 

The vast majority of keepers are pretty unspectacular but reliable. Those at the very top level are reliable but then also have the ability to prevent goals the unspectacular but reliable keepers would concede.

Having said all that you will accept that ALL players make mistakes. I appreciate that if a goalkeeper makes a mistake it invariably ends up as a goal but at the end of the day Ward is only human just like everyone else at the Club from Top to Brendan to the coaching staff to the players. I don't think it's fair to single one player out when there are mistakes being made all over the park, just as we saw yesterday.

5 hours ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

He’s indecisive. Never seen a Premier League keeper start to come and then not so much, or delay in making a move because he’s questioning himself.

Lack of confidence, he played so much better after a good run. A dangerous cocktail for a premier league goalie - consistency wins the race.

13 hours ago, MPH said:

to be fair Kasper did have a bit of a Diva personality when here.  He  had extremely high standards and would expect things to be done a certain way and in many cases that’s a good thing but  I can definitely see how that would clash with a manager who is equally authoritarian with how he wants things done.

If Rodgers hates Kasper he would not have confined ward to the bench in all but 1 league match in 4 years and even most Europa games and FA cup games LoL 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, David Hankey said:

Can you think of a positive in Ward, because I can't think of any.  Is he a good shot stopper, who will pull out that vital save that wins you a game.  I don't think he is.  He has made a few decent saves during our good run, but none that you would say were saves that most other keepers wouldn't have made.  Is he good coming for crosses, no not really, he's collectrd a few, and he has flapped at plenty and completely missed a few. I wouldn't say he makes the defence feel any more secure than they did with Kasper when we face an incoming corner or free kick. He is often indecisive when coming off his line, and doesn't control his area very well either, and not the best in one on ones either. He can be a bit heart in your mouth, with his feet too, when the ball is played back to him.  I just don't see him even being close to a top level goalkeeper when I watch him. I'm not even sure what level I would judge him to be at. Probably league one level maybe, given that he is no better than a David Martin or David Stockdale who we had playing for us in league one.  Would i be happy to have him if playing in goal for us if we were a championship club, I can honestly say that I wouldn't be, and yet there he is, our last line of defence in one of the best leagues in the world.  Its madness!

Edited by smudger63
  • Like 2

On 27/12/2022 at 08:59, Bob Hazels shorts said:

Kasper left because the club wanted him to take a pay cut in his new contract, the same way Vardy did.

Its was a simple as that nothing else.

The club wasn't willing to continue with him being the 3rd highest keeper in the league when he was clearly on the decline.

Edited by coolhandfox

You can't pin our decline on one player really.  It's collective.  Everywhere throughout the team has regressed.  We've regressed with staff.  We've seemingly regressed with finances.

It does scream at the minute that we've had our moment in the sun and might begin to drop back to our normal routine of being a yo yo team. 

He's solid and reliable, he makes decent saves, comes for a cross occasionally and his kicking is solid. If he has a good defence infront of him then it makes for a solid dependable defensive set up. However, if things start to go south, like they did on Saturday then he gets exposed, he's not great at one one ones, he gets consistently beaten by shots from distance, think Rashford in the WC, he doesn't seem to be to be athletic and can spring across his goal at speed. 

Lets think back to the FA Cup winning save against Chelsea by Kasper, does Ward save that? Does he have the speed and agility to keep that out? I think Iversen does, he's tall, moves his feet quick and has a good spring (small sample size admittedly). Unfortunately, Rodgers has put his marker down regarding Ward and only an injury would see that change this season. So let's get behind him and hope he can prove me wrong.