Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfcfoz

Danny Ward

3 hours ago, funkyrobot said:

Harsh on Nuge. Great player for us, even in the Premier League. A much better footballer than Rhodes too. 

Wasn’t meant as a bashing of Nuge! But that’s just the comparison that comes to my head, he was clearly too good for the champ but didn’t kick on in the prem despite having a few seasons but always ended up playing the league below. The Jordan Rhodes comparison as well was that he’d regularly get 20 a season in the champ but afaik never got a single premier league goal

I really do think Ward is trying his best, but it just boils down to poor management.

When we signed him for £12M he had 2 appearances in the PL spanning over 8 seasons, Kasper leaves and we expected what? To have a PL class GK readily on hand? A PL-class goalkeeper in his prime years would not settle for being a back-up.

It's like watching a baby bird thrown from a nest, 3 PL games to his name - alrite Danny you're our undisputed no1 now. 

Edited by FoxTimmy2

I’d give him the benefit of the doubt based on pre World Cup form and not being to blame for any goal V Liverpool but equally we need to have the button ready to press on an improvement should he revert back to how he was before that spell.

• Like 2

That brain dead moment in the game when he smashes the ball at Salas head only for it to bounce into nunez was infuriating.

who does that type of thing?

it wasn’t neccesssry he wasn’t under pressure just foolish and careless.

if I was a defender I too would be nervous with him in goal.

The club has focused so much on grooming Daka to replace Vardy it completely overlooked kasper. Equally important position and reason for our success.

• Like 1

I didn’t like wout’s moments of madness in the own goals but I do have some sympathy. Maybe he doesn’t have faith or trust in Danny ward to command his box.

Wout is a guy who takes the initiative he is a leader. If prime kasper is back there I don’t think he scores those two own goals.

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

I was happy to say 'fair enough' to the rest of the post but this stopped me. Absolute bollocks here, sorry.

Some guy at a game earlier in season said it’s not an issue to get relegated he then said he didn’t care if we did etc and he’s a season ticket holder

23 minutes ago, cruzFOX said:

I didn’t like wout’s moments of madness in the own goals but I do have some sympathy. Maybe he doesn’t have faith or trust in Danny ward to command his box.

Wout is a guy who takes the initiative he is a leader. If prime kasper is back there I don’t think he scores those two own goals.

Prime Kasper was a while ago and we are very clearly in a different space to being able to have someone at that level in the net.

I find his sense of positioning very poor, his reactions when trying to save always look really slow in comparison to other keepers and he does not seem to be any better than Kasper at dealing with crosses. A lot of people on here seem to think it is just a matter of his confidence but i am not so sure. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Lesterlad said:

Some guy at a game earlier in season said it’s not an issue to get relegated he then said he didn’t care if we did etc and he’s a season ticket holder

I meant for myself. I would definitely not be okay with going down. I think we can do better than Ward and actually need to. 

3 hours ago, FoxTimmy2 said:

£12m on a player who had 2 PL appearances in 8 years. Senseless...

I'd rather get a hungry GK from the lower leagues who are desperate for playtime, the kind of mentality Kasper had.

Yeah but we were in the Championship then. GK is such a key area, we needed a good one to replace Kasper. Club should have been looking for years before Kasper left as they knew it was going to happen.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Yeah but we were in the Championship then. GK is such a key area, we needed a good one to replace Kasper. Club should have been looking for years before Kasper left as they knew it was going to happen.

It's not too late to start looking for a replacement now, my worries are that Rodgers doesn't seem to acknowledge that we do have an issue on the GK position.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, foxinsox said:

Putting him behind the worst defence in the league.

The shot difficulity graph shows that he pretty much saves no shots that shouldn't be saved, and has let in quite a few goals that should have been saved. By any means the worst in Europe's top5 leagues.

Here's for the premier league, Ward is ranked in the bottom of the list:

ward.png

https://fbref.com/en/comps/9/keepersadv/Premier-League-Stats 

Of all the metrics measured he only sems to do well on crosses.

Edited by Mike1983

15 minutes ago, FoxFossil said:

Or Hob Nob the pig from Early Man

Had to Google that! :thumbup:

IMHO, the 1st Newcastle goal owes much to Ward. OK, a few others contributed to the fu but it started with him. He can be, at best, an OK keeper but his main fault, again IMHO, is his decision making, or perhaps it's his concentration. Every now and again, he takes these wtf actions that seem to defy explanation. Maybe he's not fully alert, or reads the game wrongly, and so is forced into panic reaction. To me, he just sometimes seems to be in the wrong place, out of phase with the game.