Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfcfoz

Danny Ward

He’s not good enough, but if I’m honest I’m not convinced Iversen would be either. Wouldn’t hurt to give him a chance though, would either give us the confirmation that we would need a new keeper or save us a good amount of money if he stepped up.

It’s sad because I don’t think Ward is the utter car crash he’s being made out to be. I think he’d be one of the better goalkeepers in the championship, but the margins are so fine in the PL and he’s simply not up to the standard of this league. 

• Like 1

I don't think he's a bad keeper, he's had his really bad moments/games which stand out but he's pulled off a few saves to remember too.

He just doesn't instil the confidence I had in Kaspar or I would have in any other big name keeper. I always felt assured with the  presence of Kaspar between the sticks but with Ward, I just get apprehensive and nervous. We are certainly more vulnerable with him as our shot stopper.

Against Villa I had more faith in our defenders than of late, as long as it didn't get as far as Ward having to get involved.

36 minutes ago, ElusiveEd said:

I don't think he's a bad keeper, he's had his really bad moments/games which stand out but he's pulled off a few saves to remember too.

He just doesn't instil the confidence I had in Kaspar or I would have in any other big name keeper. I always felt assured with the  presence of Kaspar between the sticks but with Ward, I just get apprehensive and nervous. We are certainly more vulnerable with him as our shot stopper.

Against Villa I had more faith in our defenders than of late, as long as it didn't get as far as Ward having to get involved.

Has he? The only worldie save he’s pulled off that I can remember was a header he tipped onto the bar against spurs…where he still conceded 6.

I honestly can’t think of more than 1, during that 6 game spell before the wc he did make some routine stops and looked far more assured but unfortunately for us it was just a flash in the pan

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, It'sblueupnorth said:

Has he? The only worldie save he’s pulled off that I can remember was a header he tipped onto the bar against spurs…where he still conceded 6.

I honestly can’t think of more than 1, during that 6 game spell before the wc he did make some routine stops and looked far more assured but unfortunately for us it was just a flash in the pan

Made a great save v West Ham tipping a lob over the bar. Has been nominated for save of the month 3 times I think, so obviously someone thinks he's made some good saves.

Mixed on this. If Kasper leaving caught everyone off guard, then I can see plenty of clubs whacking up the price tag on a keeper - which would have made a summer signing harder - especially as we only signed Faes.

Not sorting it in January, in isolation, I can understand. Other areas need addressing and you might as well try and outscore the opposition. We also don't have massive pockets either.

But, I fail to see why giving Iversen a go is such a band thing. Could he be worse than Ward? Maybe. But we've already conceded plenty so whatever. If he's rubbish then at least you gave it a go and we just pray we scrape 4-5 more wins (which I think is doable). If he's capable then you say goodbye to Ward in summer, bring in a proper No. 1 and let Iversen keep developing. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Made a great save v West Ham tipping a lob over the bar. Has been nominated for save of the month 3 times I think, so obviously someone thinks he's made some good saves.

The lob v West Ham from what I remember was routine, it was a header with little pace on from 18 yards out. He didn’t even tip it over the bar he scooped it out. Maybe my expectation of a great save is at too high a level. But he’s not made a save bar 1 that I wouldn’t expect him to make. I would be interested to know the 3 saves he’s got nominated for save of the month though?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, It'sblueupnorth said:

The lob v West Ham from what I remember was routine, it was a header with little pace on from 18 yards out. He didn’t even tip it over the bar he scooped it out. Maybe my expectation of a great save is at too high a level. But he’s not made a save bar 1 that I wouldn’t expect him to make. I would be interested to know the 3 saves he’s got nominated for save of the month though?

Sorry I can't remember the saves, just remember him making the nominees.

1 hour ago, Facecloth said:

Sorry I can't remember the saves, just remember him making the nominees.

Must have been some very routine saves in those months then, because I honestly don't remember him making any save you wouldn't expect a run of the mill keeper to make.  Although the feeling seems to be that we had other areas we had to address in the transfer window, and we did, the truth is, the goalkeeper is a massively important area, because he can effect the performance of the whole defence. I mentioned before an interview with Lee Dixon talking about Ramsdale at Arsenal, and how much of an impact he has had on their defence. He said that as a defender if you are worried about the keeper, it can have an impact on how you defend, and decisions you make, but if you have confidence in your keeper it allows you to just concentrate on your own game. For me, bringing in a keeper in January was one of the priorities, especially as we were going to spend 20 million on Harrison, so clearly there was money there to bring a keeper in  

To some extent we just have to give Ward as much of our support as possible as the moment to bring in a replacement, the January transfer window, has gone.

One thing I am slightly confused about is how ready Iversen is as a Ward replacement. There are those who say he should be given a go and those who say he's not very good. I haven't seen enough of him, for long enough, to make an informed judgment, but I do know that he has done very well whilst on loan in the Championship. 

We often conjecture that the better performers in the Championship should be given a try in the Premier League. If Iversen has proven himself there - then isn't he worth a go? 

Ward is so slow to react.  Villas first goal, it was like watching a slug trying to spring into action, after the ball had hit the bar, a goalkeeper trains to save one shot then spring up quickly to try and save another shot Ward obviously doesnt do this.

Good job Coutinho was offside for their disallowed goal, how on earth did that squirm in?  Watching back later on tv Ward again culpable.

I am afraid I am still sticking to my view he is the worst keeper we have ever had and we have had a few howlers.  Ward is nowhere near a premier league goalkeeper he is truly awful.

• Haha 2

Just now, It'sblueupnorth said:

Yeah I will agree, although he’s not getting enough stick for the 2nd or ruled out 3rd

I don't see how he's at fault for any of them. Not at fault for the 2nd in my opinion either,  seems like that's just an unfortunate deflection.

No highlights on youtube seem to be showing the disallowed Coutinho goal so I can't comment :D 

18 minutes ago, suffolk fox said:

Ward is so slow to react.  Villas first goal, it was like watching a slug trying to spring into action, after the ball had hit the bar, a goalkeeper trains to save one shot then spring up quickly to try and save another shot Ward obviously doesnt do this.

Good job Coutinho was offside for their disallowed goal, how on earth did that squirm in?  Watching back later on tv Ward again culpable.

I am afraid I am still sticking to my view he is the worst keeper we have ever had and we have had a few howlers.  Ward is nowhere near a premier league goalkeeper he is truly awful.

Worse than all of Kevin Pressman, Rab Douglas, Zeljko Kalac and Ricardo? :o:unsure:

• Like 1