Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

PROVIDE YOUR THOUGHTS ON SINGING SECTION TRIALS

Dear davieG

As you may be aware, the 2021/22 season has seen the Club identify several fixtures through which to continue the trial of a Singing Section, giving like-minded supporters an opportunity to congregate in a defined area of the stadium to provide sustained and coordinated vocal support for the team. This has been a continuation of a trial started in January 2020, at the request of a number of supporters through the Club’s Supporter Engagement operations.

The process has been trialed at five fixtures to date: Wigan Athletic in the FA Cup Third Round (January 2020); Brighton & Hove Albion in the EFL Cup Fourth Round (October 2021); Watford in the FA Cup Third Round (January 2022); Rennes in the UEFA Europa Conference League Last 16 (March 2022); and Roma in the UEFA Europa Conference League Semi Final (April 2022).

During each trial, the Club has tested different locations, configurations, and ticket sales processes, to establish the appetite for such a section, its bearing on all match-attending supporters and its impact on the matchday atmosphere. Feedback received on the initiative to date has been extremely positive.

As a supporter who has attended a game where at least one Singing Section has taken place this season, we would like to gather your thoughts as we undertake a more detailed consultation with supporters on the success of the trial.

To provide feedback via our survey, where you can also opt-in to be a part of an in-person/virtual discussion to further clarify your thoughts.

Thank you for your continued support.

LCFC

I’ve never bought a ticket in that area, but still received the email

One of the questions was ‘why have you never bought a ticket there’

My reply was because L Block needs people like me there too as the atmosphere there is dire (that sounds very big headed, but it’s true) 

Its good that they’ve asked these questions. I hope everyone answers appropriately and stated about needing rail seating implemented in the expansion 

• Haha 1

Guest David Oldfields Gate
11 minutes ago, Haywood_6 said:

That's exactly what I said 

Ditto

1 minute ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

What is your reasoning for that?

There's two types of songs that fans sing (mainly) one supporting the team and one against oppostion fans, if the singing section is not next to the away fans, one of those can't happen, and singing against oppo fans gives a better atmosphere and gets more people singing because it's the "now". It's what leads to spontineaty at football grounds which, historically, has been part of the charm of english football fans. As a previous poster has highlighted, the section next to the way fans is dire, that is the problem, it's as simple as that. If the club reallly wanted to get a proper singing section going, they'd do it in L1, but that's not going to happen because no-one will give up their season ticket in that area to accomodate a singing section. The reason SK1 is being used is because there were loads of empty seats in that area, it's exactly the same as when the fosse boys tried to get a singing section going.

• Like 2

I replied negatively and suggested any singing sections needs to be in the block next to the away fans, and I don't really want to have to relocate my season ticket I've had since the KP opened. 

1 minute ago, yorkie1999 said:

There's two types of songs that fans sing (mainly) one supporting the team and one against oppostion fans, if the singing section is not next to the away fans, one of those can't happen, and singing against oppo fans gives a better atmosphere and gets more people singing because it's the "now". It's what leads to spontineaty at football grounds which, historically, has been part of the charm of english football fans. As a previous poster has highlighted, the section next to the way fans is dire, that is the problem, it's as simple as that. If the club reallly wanted to get a proper singing section going, they'd do it in L1, but that's not going to happen because no-one will give up their season ticket in that area to accomodate a singing section. The reason SK1 is being used is because there were loads of empty seats in that area, it's exactly the same as when the fosse boys tried to get a singing section going.

Thats just the point, there aren't 'loads of seats' in SK1 any more.  There are just 58 seats in SK1 that are not already held by season ticket holders and these are nearly all on rows A-C. Even worse in SK2 (27) & SK3 (38)  There are seats in SK4 but mostly restricted view seats at the back, ones that the club struggle to sell nornally.

In order to accomodate a singing section in SK1 existing ST holders who do not wish to/cannot stand for 90 minutes will have to relocate but the problem is the lack of suitable seats in the South Stand to move to.

Ironic that you say L1 won't give up their seat for a SS.  It appears those in SK1 who will be forced to move haven't got a choice.

I’d happily move to accommodate one (not that’s it’s going to effect SK4 anyway)

My experience with Europe this year has proven that you need to support the development of the right people in the right places to help along the atmosphere which can be a little tepid at the KP when you compare it to European grounds…

The larger and more organised the sections are, the better…. I remember going round the rapid Vienna stadium for work and they had stages for the Kapo to lead the chants…. It has been organised and really well thought through…

Great to see the club responding positively to the fans on this and I really hope it happens…

SK1 seems the obvious place doesn’t it?  Atmosphere is about getting behind the team not baiting the opposition?  Although I had a great time in L1 for the Watford cup game!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

I’ve never bought a ticket in that area, but still received the email

One of the questions was ‘why have you never bought a ticket there’

My reply was because L Block needs people like me there too as the atmosphere there is dire (that sounds very big headed, but it’s true) 

Its good that they’ve asked these questions. I hope everyone answers appropriately and stated about needing rail seating implemented in the expansion 

Club won't go for anything next to the away fans and that includes rail seating. Got stung at the Napoli, Warsaw and to a lesser extended PSV games so they'll do everything they can to prevent that happening again. 

34 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

In my view, I feel a singing section should have nothing to do with away fans being close and singing about them. A singing section should be to back the team first and foremost. Therefore I would stick it in the "Kop". If people then want to sit near away fans (like a fair few currently in L1 might), then just let that happen organically. The main aim of the singing section is to bring together all those people currently spread around the ground, such as myself, and join up together.

I appreciate some people like to be close to the away fans and that should still be possible. The idea is that the singing section, if 1-2,000 are in it and making noise, is that it should pull along other sections of the stadium but at worst, those joined up voices in the section alone could make plenty of noise. Right now it is completely diluted.

Bringing back comparisons to abroad, there aren't many clubs who have their vocal support anywhere near the away fans. In fact, "winding up" away fans is limited. 90-95% of vocal support during a match is to back their team.

Either way, if the club manage to organise a singing section all season it would be a huge success for everyone trying to improve the atmosphere and it would help me renew my season ticket without hesitation.

Just now, SemperEadem said:

Two areas in my eyes is not a bad thing. It caters for the two types of support.

However there is a question mark on the future of L1 with the new stand.

There's demand for two areas, for the games with the sections in SK1 there was still the same number in L1. But like you say there's a big question mark there with the new posh seats going in behind L1. 

1 hour ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

There's demand for two areas

Really? Extreme doubt on that front. 

It's always been naff having multiple pockets of singing support all spread out around the ground. Two shouldn't even be considered tbh except as a last resort. 

It's not rocket science that one solid block of all the people that want to sing in the ground will make much, much better noise. 

• Like 2

The state of some of the coked-up morons in L1 is exactly why me and the other guys I go with are looking into relocating to SK1 (assuming that's where Union FS stay going forward).

Having a go in the singing section elsewhere in the past few months has convinced me that there's no need to put it next to away fans. It was refreshing to be surrounded by people backing the team rather than being more interested in picking fights with the away section, or filming edgy 'banter' for their mates on Insta and Facebook.

I didn't comment on rail seating in my response but did mention that the club is fighting a losing battle against 'persistent standing' as they put it. I'm grateful that the forces that be are actually consulting us on this going forward though. It's the only good thing to come out of this weekend. 

Edited by OntarioFox
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

The club could make an unreserved standing area directly behind the Kop end goal, make tickets a tenner and there would still be people who want to stand next to the away fans. 

Ah right, yeah I mean I agree with that. You're not wrong. 

3 minutes ago, OntarioFox said:

The state of some of the coked-up morons in L1 is exactly why me and the other guys I go with are looking into relocating to SK1 (assuming that's where Union FS stay going forward).

Having a go in the singing section elsewhere in the past few months has convinced me that there's no need to put it next to away fans. It was refreshing to be surrounded by people backing the team rather than being more interested in picking fights with the away section, or filming edgy 'banter' for their mates on Insta and Facebook.

I didn't comment on rail seating in my response but did mention that the club is fighting a losing battle against 'persistent standing' as they put it. I'm grateful that the forces that be are actually consulting us on this going forward though. It's the only good thing to come out of this weekend. 

The one time it was next to the away fans for me it was it's weakest because of a lot of what you have mentioned.

• Like 1

isn't it quite rare for 'signing sections' to be next to the away fans? thinking on the continent / where they have been set up in the UK i cant seem to think of main that are near the away end? in fact the majority are pretty much opposite.