Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

PROVIDE YOUR THOUGHTS ON SINGING SECTION TRIALS

20 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

there's a tone of gloating to the post as well - had a great convo with jim putting the dampeners on! not going to tell anyone what about but so happy!

smh

Not putting the dampners on anything, its just nice that LCFC will do things for fans who might need to move seats. I'm not going to publically detail levels of compensation as its may differ from person to person 

2 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

Not putting the dampners on anything, its just nice that LCFC will do things for fans who might need to move seats. I'm not going to publically detail levels of compensation as its may differ from person to person 

But it might be the same for everyone. How much?

11 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

If you want to be so secretive then why even post at all but of course you could be right and you could actually be getting the lowest amount of compensation 

Just now, jammie82uk said:

If you want to be so secretive then why even post at all but of course you could be right and you could actually be getting the lowest amount of compensation 

It's not secretive its just not appropriate - my point being actually raise any concerns with the club and they will likely do something about it, has been my experience. Depends how well worded your email is too, I guess. The club are aware they may have alienated a section of fans, and its up to the fans to put that point across and negotiate, like you do with anything in life.  

It’s really good to see the club supporting on this and acting on it. And fair play to the individuals in Union FS who have expended time and energy on making it happen - this is just the latest in a long list of commendable achievements for the group.

From this thread it’s clear there are a couple of dynamics at play that are interesting and will influence the long-term success of this:

1) The people in, or near, the section, who support in a different way to standing and singing, objecting based upon personal interest (not wanting to move seats and the “not on my doorstep” brigade) - there are small isolated examples of those objecting on these grounds but careful they don’t influence the wider fanbase (Union FS are still a significant minority in the stadium)

2) A sense of exclusivity around the singing section and the Union FS group. Whilst there’s no doubt they work for the benefit of the overall fan base, it feels like members of the group have an image of what they want it to be that in actual fact doesn’t welcome all who want to sing as they would say they do. There’s a sense - whether justified or not - of superiority when it comes to L1, for example. I’ve been in L1 since 2008 when the ground was only two-thirds full (as have many of those around me) and, whilst there are many undesirable characters in there and some moronic ‘banter’ at times, the section carried any semblance of atmosphere in the stadium for a long time. It feels like if all of L1 wanted to move into the singing section that wouldn’t appeal to Union FS as there would be plenty coming over who don’t align with what the group sees itself as. That’s also a problem in terms of image and wider fan perception.

I’d class myself as part of a crucial group the singing section will need to win over in it’s next growth phase. I’m not one of the ones you might class as undesirable from L1, I do like to sing and contribute to the atmosphere but - despite having been in the singing sections for Watford and Brighton - it doesn’t feel like a space I would move into yet.

That said, I watch with anticipation and with huge hope that it really takes off. Maybe I’ll get involved at that point in time.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

I’d class myself as part of a crucial group the singing section will need to win over in it’s next growth phase. I’m not one of the ones you might class as undesirable from L1, I do like to sing and contribute to the atmosphere but - despite having been in the singing sections for Watford and Brighton - it doesn’t feel like a space I would move into yet.

That said, I watch with anticipation and with huge hope that it really takes off. Maybe I’ll get involved at that point in time.

You'd like to think this comes with time and as it's effect is felt, more will be more inclined for sure. 

21 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

It's not secretive its just not appropriate - my point being actually raise any concerns with the club and they will likely do something about it, has been my experience. Depends how well worded your email is too, I guess. The club are aware they may have alienated a section of fans, and its up to the fans to put that point across and negotiate, like you do with anything in life.  

I mean common sense says the club arent just going to banish those who might need to move. Their engagement around this subject has been great so it's unsurprising they're going to help people move. 

36 minutes ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

2) A sense of exclusivity around the singing section and the Union FS group. Whilst there’s no doubt they work for the benefit of the overall fan base, it feels like members of the group have an image of what they want it to be that in actual fact doesn’t welcome all who want to sing as they would say they do. There’s a sense - whether justified or not - of superiority when it comes to L1, for example. I’ve been in L1 since 2008 when the ground was only two-thirds full (as have many of those around me) and, whilst there are many undesirable characters in there and some moronic ‘banter’ at times, the section carried any semblance of atmosphere in the stadium for a long time. It feels like if all of L1 wanted to move into the singing section that wouldn’t appeal to Union FS as there would be plenty coming over who don’t align with what the group sees itself as. That’s also a problem in terms of image and wider fan perception.

Not really sure where this sense is coming from but it's unfair. There are plenty of group members who are ex-L1, still have mates in there and so on. Like you say, there's a historic attachment to the area and in its glory days it was miles better than anywhere else in the ground. I can't blame anyone for sticking with it and holding out hope they might return.

When UFS started out there were long discussions about whether they should try and set up in L1, and it was decided, on balance, they shouldn't for three main reasons. 1) Because they'd all struggle to get tickets together up there, 2) Because ticket prices were higher and would therefore price a fair few out compared to SK1 and 3) Because it was, and still is, ST only and therefore lads who couldn't afford a season ticket wouldn't be able to get involved. It was nothing to do with wanting to have a different image or any of the other nonsense claims of elitism that get chucked the group's way.

Some of the stereotypes bandied about over what they think UFS are/want to be are absolutely laughable (plenty of examples in here). I guarantee the group would be made up if literally all the lads in L1 who sing all game moved their season tickets over. A few already have in recent years.

Edited by Voll Blau
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, GlennyFox55 said:

Not exactly related but has anyone heard anything on the retiring of clappers to collection only?

I really wish they'd address this. 

Putting one on every seat is horrendously wastleful - the footprint of printing, delivering and disposing of these must be huge every match. seems completely at odds with the demands for more mindfulness about our consumption.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

Putting one on every seat is horrendously wastleful - the footprint of printing, delivering and disposing of these must be huge every match. seems completely at odds with the demands for more mindfulness about our consumption.

Yeah really ironic when they claim that the electronic ticketing system is to "address sustainability" when they print 30000 of those abominations every fortnight. 

Collection only has been mentioned a couple of times but I'll believe it when I see it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Corky said:

I've seen several clappers chucked around during matches recently- should be the same as coins and bottles as potential weapons despite the club encouraging their use.

Still find it really amusing they're not in L1 for this reason. 

1 hour ago, Tommy G said:

Which a lot of folk were saying would happen but people continued going about ‘what ifs’. 

It’s a huge step by them. They will have done the ‘maths as any business. What they lose in ‘compensation’ gets made up by new season tickets. I have a gut as well that that the club are braced for a fair bit of change this summer when it comes to renewals etc. 

Great work by Union FS over the years to get to this point. Already looking forward to next season with the prospect of a decent match day atmosphere as it was starting to get very stale in SK1.

I’m already based in SK1 and have completed my application to stay there. Does anyone know how you will be able to choose to move near to other friends in SK1 when tickets go live? Guessing you might be able to do this as a group booking with ST reference numbers? 

1 hour ago, lifted*fox said:

I think to get rid of the clappers you would have to consider where the idea originated from, especially  if it came from high up.

Am I the only one that’s a bit pissed off about this situation?

I don’t mind a singing section that can potentially boost the atmosphere at the ground but now my grandad, disabled brother and my seats are up for grabs.

We’ve sat in our seats in SK1 for years yet we now risk losing them and getting moved elsewhere when we are very happy where we are.

• Like 2

Just now, buzzer_b said:

Am I the only one that’s a bit pissed off about this situation?

I don’t mind a singing section that can potentially boost the atmosphere at the ground but now my grandad, disabled brother and my seats are up for grabs.

We’ve sat in our seats in SK1 for years yet we now risk losing them and getting moved elsewhere when we are very happy where we are.

Just move into the corner, better view believe it or not.