Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kushiro

Jock's Kids and the Nine-Goal Deficit

I was surley there but if not, was in earshot of the mighty roar. I only remember one pitch invasion under Jock Wallace and that was the season after...... we won the league.....

Despite some snotty remarks in one of the kit threads, that is a proper Leicester kit. No generic we look like a knock off Chelsea or Everton there.

Mind you, a bit suspect that photo, did you cut and paste it in a scrapbook? 

EDIT. tricky cutting aroung those heads, how did you not crease or bend the necks?

another edit.  it was away....... wasnt there for that one nor in ear shot

Edited by He aint bald

28 minutes ago, Foxesmints said:

I pretty much went to all games in this period, but for the life of me can't remember Alan Lee.

Me too. Blonde striker? Played wide I think. Wasn’t he the one that got beaten up by a Sheff fan that game??? 🤔

8 hours ago, He aint bald said:

I was surley there but if not, was in earshot of the mighty roar. I only remember one pitch invasion under Jock Wallace and that was the season after...... we won the league.....

Despite some snotty remarks in one of the kit threads, that is a proper Leicester kit. No generic we look like a knock off Chelsea or Everton there.

Mind you, a bit suspect that photo, did you cut and paste it in a scrapbook? 

EDIT. tricky cutting aroung those heads, how did you not crease or bend the necks?

I'm not that clever! That's just the way it appeared in the programme:

youth-79-1.jpg

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, kushiro said:

On May 8th 1979, Sheffield United needed to win 9-0 at home to Leicester City to stay in Division Two. An impossible task, surely - but United may have allowed themselves a flicker of optimism when they saw the Leicester team sheet - for it included seven teenagers. Jock Wallace fielded what was then, and still remains, the youngest side ever to take the field in a senior City fixture.

It's funny how the memory plays tricks on you as the years go by.   

I would have sworn that Sheff Utd "only" had to beat us by 7 goals to go above Charlton Athletic.   But I checked, and you are right.   It was 9.   Charlton's goal difference was 8 better, and they had scored 10 goals more.

There was another potential part to the equation that I had totally forgotten ... and that was Sheff Utd actually had a 2nd route to staying up.

If they had beaten us by 1 goal, they would've stayed up if Oldham Athletic then lost their 2 remaining games in hand (home to Millwall and Burnley) which were to be played some days later.    

There was a good chance that Oldham would get at least a point from those 2 games, so I don't think Sheff Utd were holding out too much hope of success from that avenue.   But it was an option.   and as I say, one that I had completely forgotten about.

As it happens, it was a draw and so Sheff Utd were down.   So the Oldham fixtures never became relevant.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

It's funny how the memory plays tricks on you as the years go by.   

I would have sworn that Sheff Utd "only" had to beat us by 7 goals to go above Charlton Athletic.   But I checked, and you are right.   It was 9.   Charlton's goal difference was 8 better, and they had scored 10 goals more.

There was another potential part to the equation that I had totally forgotten ... and that was Sheff Utd actually had a 2nd route to staying up.

If they had beaten us by 1 goal, they would've stayed up if Oldham Athletic then lost their 2 remaining games in hand (home to Millwall and Burnley) which were to be played some days later.    

There was a good chance that Oldham would get at least a point from those 2 games, so I don't think Sheff Utd were holding out too much hope of success from that avenue.   But it was an option.   and as I say, one that I had completely forgotten about.

As it happens, it was a draw and so Sheff Utd were down.   So the Oldham fixtures never became relevant.

You're doing well to remember that much forty years on.

Yeah - thanks for pointing out that Oldham situation. There was another unlikely possibility - that even had United beaten us 9-0 they could have gone down - if Millwall, who had loads of games in hand for some reason, had won most of those to move clear of the drop zone.  But they couldn't manage it. 

20 minutes ago, kushiro said:

You're doing well to remember that much forty years on.

Yeah - thanks for pointing out that Oldham situation. There was another unlikely possibility - that even had United beaten us 9-0 they could have gone down - if Millwall, who had loads of games in hand for some reason, had won most of those to move clear of the drop zone.  But they couldn't manage it. 

Oh yes, that's right, Millwall were still in the equation.  Albeit, an unlikely set of results would've been needed.

Millwall had 4 additional games in hand over sheff utd.   If sheff utd had won 9-0, millwall could've overtaken them with 4 wins and a draw, from their last 5 games.  Interestingly  the first of their extra games in hand was against Oldham ... who were also in the mix.

Not sure why Millwall had 5 games left after the last Saturday.  But might've been extra postponements they suffered as the Old Den pitch was terrible and prone to waterlogging.

Remember it all like it was yesterday.  I couldn't make sheff utd away, as it was a school night.   But i had a couple of mates who went up.  They said it was a bit hairy  and the locals were not happy bunnies.   Extra tensions as there were sheff wed fans in the Leicester end taunting United fans.  The City coaches got bricked after the match.  The good old days!

Edited by worth_the_wait

7 hours ago, Foxesmints said:

I pretty much went to all games in this period, but for the life of me can't remember Alan Lee.

6 hours ago, TrentFox said:

Me too. Blonde striker? Played wide I think. Wasn’t he the one that got beaten up by a Sheff fan that game??? 🤔

Ginger winger IIRC. Never quite made the grade and soon disappeared.

13 hours ago, worth_the_wait said:

Remember it all like it was yesterday.  I couldn't make sheff utd away, as it was a school night.   But i had a couple of mates who went up.  They said it was a bit hairy  and the locals were not happy bunnies.   Extra tensions as there were sheff wed fans in the Leicester end taunting United fans.  The City coaches got bricked after the match.  The good old days!

Interesting you mention Wednesday - 1978/79 was a real Sheffield sandwich for Leicester - with those games against United at the start and finish of the season, and in the middle three layers of Wednesday at Filbert Street - that wonderful FA Cup replay marathon with Third Division Wednesday eventually falling to Arsenal. 

I used to have a paper round at that time and couldn't see Saturday games. Midweek games were different - and those three replays were the highlight of my season.

And here's another picture of the Leicester youth team of that season - from the programme for the Sheffield United game way back in August after they'd won a pre-season tournament. It might be the first ever photo of Lineker in the City programme:

Youth-78-1.jpg