Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Schmeichel

We’ll miss his brilliant shot stopping big time, but let’s face it, he’s no spring chicken and we all know his flaws, which were more prominent than ever last season.

When all is said and done, however, Kasper owes us nothing. He’s a bona fide LCFC legend. If he goes, he goes and good luck to him.

• Like 1

I wonder if you rounded up all those who think Kasper is past it, how many of those say it’s down to his ball playing ability. 

Yes, it’s absolutely shite. It has been for years. To me, it’s something easily rectified over trying to rectify something that requires natural instincts, such as reflex or shot stopping. 

His dad was master of the art of long over arm throws and I’ve always been bemused why Kasper hasn’t had more of a go at that. 

For me though, a ball playing goalkeeper does not make you a good keeper. A good shot stopper makes you a good keeper. And Kasper is still a good shot stopper. 

• Like 2

Played every minute of the 15/16 season alongside Wes. Would be gutting to lose him, still with some years left in him.

Whatever happened to last season where the FBS deal apparently made it feasible to stretch our wage bill higher? No signings and selling off star players. Grim.

10 minutes ago, ttfn said:

Hypothetically, let’s say we do have the money to spend on a replacement and this is exclusively an FFP issue.

Schmeichel is allegedly on £6m/year. We sell him for (say) £2m. Our forecast for this year improves by £8m and for future years £6m/year.

We sign a replacement on a 5 year deal for £20m (surely the going rate for a top flight number 1). We pay them £60k/week (which given that’s supposedly what Hamza gets again seems a reasonable assumption). This is an FFP cost of £7m this year and every year for the next 4 years after that.

So we’d be net £1m better off this year for FFP purposes by replacing Schmeichel with a younger model. When we’re supposedly £90m in the hole? It doesn’t add up for me.

If there’s a genuine FFP problem for this coming season we either need to shift 8-10 players or we’ve got to sell Maddison or Barnes. Or of course there’s a middle ground and we sell Tielemans plus 6-8 players. Either way if those FFP figures from Percy are right then this is the start of a grim five weeks.

FFP is now wages as a proportion of turn over 

signing players isn’t relevant as far as I understand …….

so reducing our wage bill by 60k/week is relevant

8 minutes ago, ttfn said:

Hypothetically, let’s say we do have the money to spend on a replacement and this is exclusively an FFP issue.

Schmeichel is allegedly on £6m/year. We sell him for (say) £2m. Our forecast for this year improves by £8m and for future years £6m/year.

We sign a replacement on a 5 year deal for £20m (surely the going rate for a top flight number 1). We pay them £60k/week (which given that’s supposedly what Hamza gets again seems a reasonable assumption). This is an FFP cost of £7m this year and every year for the next 4 years after that.

So we’d be net £1m better off this year for FFP purposes by replacing Schmeichel with a younger model. When we’re supposedly £90m in the hole? It doesn’t add up for me.

If there’s a genuine FFP problem for this coming season we either need to shift 8-10 players or we’ve got to sell Maddison or Barnes. Or of course there’s a middle ground and we sell Tielemans plus 6-8 players. Either way if those FFP figures from Percy are right then this is the start of a grim five weeks.

I reckon if he goes we give one of our current keepers a chance as number 1 and are 6m per year better off on FFP. The only way he goes is if we are comfortable we already have his replacement.  No chance we let him go and spend 20m on a GK. More likely we go and get a RW. Soumare goes and we get a CB and bank on the remaining midfielders being enough if someone gets injured. Those 2 positions have to be the priorities.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Sankey93 said:

I think we struggle to get a replacement tbh. If only pope or Henderson was available ffs

Doesn’t Pope have all the exact same weaknesses people say of Schmeichel? In that he’s a great shot stopper but awful distribution and in the air?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

Wages are a bigger issue than transfer fees.

When a player is purchased, his cost is capitalised on the balance sheet and is written down (amortised) over the length of his contract. So player A brought for 30m on a 5 year contract is amortised by a club in its accounts to the value of 6m per season.

You can kick the can further down the street by giving them a new contract 2 years in, as you can re-amortise the remaining book value of the player over the new contract. 

We could buy 3 players this summer for 75m on 5-year contracts and it would only affect the accounts by 15m per year. 

Can a future value be taken into account??

So sign a youngster for £50m on 5 year deal, but value his future transfer at £30m on year 4, writing down £5m/pa?? Or do the rules not give that possibility??

19 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Wages ain't a problem at Nice tbh with INEOS/Radcliffe in charge 

18 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

They have an owner worth 12bn

they still won’t be spending 120k/week on a keeper. From what I can see, kluivert is their top earner on €55k. He’s going there for an experience - if I had the chance to live in the south of France with the money he has then I’d be there before the ink was dry ! 

Guest ttfn
1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

FFP is now wages as a proportion of turn over 

signing players isn’t relevant as far as I understand …….

so reducing our wage bill by 60k/week is relevant

Not in the Premier League (as far as I know), we need to make less than £105m loss over 3 seasons. Uefa were talking about having a wages:turnover limit but it doesn’t kick in for 3 years anyway.

1 minute ago, desertfox2 said:

I reckon if he goes we give one of our current keepers a chance as number 1 and are 6m per year better off on FFP. The only way he goes is if we are comfortable we already have his replacement.  No chance we let him go and spend 20m on a GK. More likely we go and get a RW. Soumare goes and we get a CB and bank on the remaining midfielders being enough if someone gets injured. Those 2 positions have to be the priorities.  

This would make sense if it’s being driven by FFP but it’s a huge gamble to put Ward or Iversen in.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
18 minutes ago, ttfn said:

If it doesn't help us then why would we be willing to let him go for free?

If that's true it says a lot in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, desertfox2 said:

I know Iversen has been shaky in pre season but Preston fans loved him.  Could he step up and save us a packet. At some point we will have try him or sell?

7 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Doesn’t Pope have all the exact same weaknesses people say of Schmeichel? In that he’s a great shot stopper but awful distribution and in the air?

There very good GK’s tho and I think most of the fan base would of approved.

Also

What fee would we want to really soften the blow?

I reckon if we were to miraculously get £20-25m for him then I’d probably be regarding it as great business.

My mate reckons £7-8m would be a good bit of business. I think having him as an LCFC player is worth more than £8m.

£8m also doesn’t buy you half a player these days unless you scout incredibly well. 

1 minute ago, rachhere said:

How many goalkeepers are there who can do everything? Unless you are talking the top top clubs, there is always a compromise to be made. They are also all capable of an embarrassing error from time to time. 

Correct. I maintain that Schmeichel was the best keeper in 1 on 1s in the league. Supposedly best in class GKs like Ederson and Allison just come out and smash the player. Kasper gets the save in.

6 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Pope’s shot-stopping and crosses-stopped stats are very good.

• Like 1

Just now, The Year Of The Fox said:

Also

What fee would we want to really soften the blow?

I reckon if we were to miraculously get £20-25m for him then I’d probably be regarding it as great business.

My mate reckons £7-8m would be a good bit of business. I think having him as an LCFC player is worth more than £8m.

£8m also doesn’t buy you half a player these days unless you scout incredibly well. 

Gotta take into account his contract length, too. 

I reckon we get about £5-6m for him. 

Seems like getting his wages off the books could be the bigger factor though. 

Guest ttfn
Just now, Chocolate Teapot said:

If it doesn't help us then why would we be willing to let him go for free?

If that's true it says a lot in my opinion.

Maybe they want a change? Maybe it’s gratitude for 11 years here?

If we’re going to sign a replacement, unless it’s for tuppence ha’penny I don’t see how this helps our financial situation.

Even a £10m replacement (we spent £12m on Ward) at £60k/week for 5 years is a £1m saving this year if we let him go for free. Not to mention that we’ve already paid Kasper £1m in the club’s 2022/23 accounting year so actually we’d probably break even for the year.

1 minute ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Correct. I maintain that Schmeichel was the best keeper in 1 on 1s in the league. Supposedly best in class GKs like Ederson and Allison just come out and smash the player. Kasper gets the save in.

And how many penalties has he saved over the years?!

Good stuff, makes sense for him and makes sense for us. Hopefully he plays the Sevilla game and gets to have a proper goodbye with the fans.

I hope we give Iversen a crack, he's been high rated in the Championship, so even if he doesn't cut it, he's not going to wildly affect our league position. Worst case, we dip in the market next summer if needed. This is why we've been stockpiling keepers, don't bottle it now Leicester.

• Like 1