Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Schmeichel

2 minutes ago, taupe said:

I suspect both options were explored, indeed still being explored. It's what you do; you look at the options available. I think if they could/can find someone at the right price etc then they'd bring them.

My gut feeling is we'll stick with what we got. Iversen until Ward is fit, then the two compete for the jersey. That works for me.

logically, if we don’t go with him now,  we need to sell iversen. 

The thing is that after a POTY season we could probably command 10-15m for him.

But I’m convinced we couldn’t sign a better player for the same fee… without some masterful scouting.  With age on his side if he keeps progressing, he could become fantastic. For some reason people seem to rule out the possibility that he can improve further :dunno:

We’d end up paying 20m for someone who’s basically the same as both him and ward. 

The fact we have 2 players that could potentially be premier league level keepers reassures me that we’d be fine without replacing him. (or as fine as you can be after losing such a legend) 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Have you really seen enough of Iversen to be convinced he can step in?

No is the short answer.

In fact, what I have seen makes me decidedly uncertain but I take on board his reputation.

Earlier this season, he admitted it “gnaws” on him that he hasn’t played more Champions League games, even saying: “It is a complex situation but before I stop, I must also try to play somewhere else.”

However, Schmeichel has said previously that having experienced the fragility of life following the death of club chairman and friend Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha, the near-death of Denmark team-mate Christian Eriksen at last summer’s European Championship and the recent passing of his mentor Lars Hogh, he now lives each day at a time and doesn’t look too far ahead.

Don't begrudge him a move as he's more than earnt it. 

Very weird timing by the club who have been publicly hamstrung for transfer credits. This hasn't come from nowhere. Should have been done much, much earlier. 

4 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Unfortunately, it's something we have got to deal with at some point.

I just broke the news to the missus and she is devastated. At least I won’t have to don a blonde wig gloves and goalkeeping jersey in the bedroom any more unless she starts supporting Nice. What is French for ‘mine’?

• Haha 4

Signs have been there. Giving Ward a start last season, plus Kasper looking very emotional on the lap of honour on the final day make me think the club knew this was happening.

I think he is a lot harder to replace than people think. The faith being bestowed in Iverson is totally out of proportion compared to what he’s proved at this point. He was nowhere near the reckoning until a decent loan at Preston. That isn’t enough to have enough faith that he’s a Premier League number one.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

Except when defending. Or playing out from the back.

Just making my point with a touch of hyperbole, soz @Bert!

Everyone’s entitled to their opinion friend 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Supergray22 said:

I just broke the news to the missus and she is devastated. At least I won’t have to don a blonde wig gloves and goalkeeping jersey in the bedroom any more unless she starts supporting Nice. What is French for ‘mine’?

Le mien or la mienne if it belongs to you, but if you mean a mine:whistle: in pit/colliery then it is La mine.

Edited by Le Renard
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, taupe said:

No is the short answer.

In fact, what I have seen makes me decidedly uncertain but I take on board his reputation.

Goalkeeper is the most important position in the team. You don’t gamble on somebody who may or may not be able to step up. If Rodgers and the coaching staff had 100% conviction that Iversen could step up, then fair enough. I don’t get the impression they do, though.

Edited by ClaphamFox

7 minutes ago, Ricey said:

Signs have been there. Giving Ward a start last season, plus Kasper looking very emotional on the lap of honour on the final day make me think the club knew this was happening.

I think he is a lot harder to replace than people think. The faith being bestowed in Iverson is totally out of proportion compared to what he’s proved at this point. He was nowhere near the reckoning until a decent loan at Preston. That isn’t enough to have enough faith that he’s a Premier League number one.

Fully agree with this and his break seemed a bit out of the blue. The annoying part is if the club knew then we should have pushed to get Pope or Henderson 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ricey said:

Isn’t that what players are supposed to do when going out on loan, prove themselves to their parent club. He was also very good at Rotherham and Oldham. Sure he was in team of the year for one of the divisions in those loan spells. 
I still think another goalkeeper should be signed to compete with Iversen.