Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Schmeichel

1 minute ago, SheppyFox said:

Yeah I hear you mate, I think we’ll miss him, but a large part of that is for leadership and really being a talisman for the club. I personally think we’re short on on-field leadership as it is, that’s a bigger concern for me than replacing him as a player, which I think we can do. 

I'm not sure how much of a leader Kasper is, he's a bit of a loose canon when it comes to mouthing off.  We definitely need more characters at the club that hold themselves and everyone to a high standard whether it be on the pitch on match day or a training session.

I genuinely think we'll see Madders doing a bit more of that this year, he seems to have really undergone a personality change and seems a lot more driven these days. Also KDH may feel more comfortable dishing out telling offs now he's got a season under his belt. He's certainly a player that leads be example on the pitch.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Genuinely upset mate. Although it might be the ‘right move’, for the player and the club, it’s pinching a little. Especially as some genuinely don’t seem to give a toss

I would be sad to see him go, and as I have said in the past, he has literally won us many games on his own... Those saves in the FA Cup Final being the ones that stick out, but the performance against Rennes more recently, Sevilla at home, so many games in the title winning season. He is a legend, no doubt.

That doesn't mean he doesn't have his flaws and something we have been terrible at for a while, even the year we won the league, is defending set pieces... He is partly responsible for that. His wayward distribution he annoyed plenty for years... but all that is outweighed by his many positive attributes. I will miss him, but all good things come to an end. 

Will be worse the day Vardy retires / leaves though, that I don't think I am ready for... and never will be.

3 minutes ago, The_77 said:

Club can’t sit still. They can sit there like most fans do currently and go ‘oh ffs we’ve failed on the last few signings’ or start to financially make moves to save upwards of £3 million. Kasper is 35 with obvious weaknesses in his game, one of which is currently our Achilles heel. 

The blokes a legend but the departure was going to happen. Here’s a chance which suits both parties. Bit like when his Dad went Sporting from United 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Col city fan said:

Mate, making footballers into cult heroes has got to indicate extreme boredom and an unfulfilled existence.

But you fill your boots. Each to their own I guess.

I’ll just miss having such a quality player and bloke at our football club. Kasper I mean, not Dan

Every club has fans who will develop an affiliation and rapport with players who technically might not best, or play every week. That's not a weird thing, it's weirder you treat cult heroes as some kind of taboo. 

No doubt Kasper leaving is a big thing, but it's hardly a surprise it was either now or next summer.

5 minutes ago, Bayfox said:

No doubting that. But allowing him to walk for nothing when we could surely get anything from 5 to 10 million for him. Is some huge thanks from the owners. I wonder why he's decided now is the time and not juat wait another 12 months. He always speaks of being wanted and finding that home at Leicester. 

Family timings, new challenge plus he probably wants a 3 year deal which is easier to get now!

He is a legend here and like his father late in his career wants to try a new environment….Nice is not bad either 

We will look back on him as our finest keeper ever part of a legacy that will never be repeated and he deserves the exit he chooses which is imo rare as on many levels on the pitch and off he has been an inspiration!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Kasper was going most likely in twelve months 

I think this is more what it is likely to signify- a top player staying at a provincial club for a decade or more is unlikely to happen again, especially here. Beyond boyhood fans I don't see this type of career with us again. Kasper and Vards stand out that little bit more.

We all know he was going at some point soon but it does feel sudden.

• Like 1

Just now, TrentFox said:

Golf break. Just checking in. Can’t be arsed to trawl through 36 pages. Has he gone? Was a few involved? Is  it definite or speculation? 😳

Maybe going 

Unknown fee (if any) 

Leaked from Nice end, apparently we want a replacement before he goes 

• Like 1

I adore Schmeichel.  What a player he's has been. He deserves a rousing  testimonial. He is clearly a club legend. 

But he is not a must keep.

We

In the past couple of seasons, I have been involved in conversations where the view has been forwarded that he is the player we most need to replace.  He has had great moments  but has led a defence that has conceded a mind-boggling number of goals to set pieces.  We have stockpiled keepers and probably/possibly don't need to replace him.

We have to trim wages.

For me,we must keep Evans, Fofana,  KDH, Ndidi, Maddison, Barnes, Vardy and Daka.   We need to keep three of our fullbacks.   We will keep others and hopefully sign two, three, four others.

We can lose a few players and still mix it.

Reckon this one could be true. He took the loss to Roma pretty badly and in hindsight it makes sense why. As much as I’ve had my times criticising him, partly because he makes some crazy decisions in possession of the ball at his feet, he will go down as a Leicester legend. His shot stopping is elite, world class and tbh if the other parts of his game were similar he’d have never played for us. Lafont would be an outstanding replacement in the long run if we could get him in. 

• Like 1

I adore Schmeichel.  What a player he's has been. He deserves a rousing  testimonial. He is clearly a club legend. 

But he is not a must keep.

We have three potential replacements. 

In the past couple of seasons, I have been involved in conversations where the view has been forwarded that he is the player we most need to replace.  He has had great moments  but has led a defence that has conceded a mind-boggling number of goals to set pieces.  We have stockpiled keepers and probably/possibly don't need to replace him.

We have to trim wages.

For me,we must keep Evans, Fofana,  KDH, Ndidi, Maddison, Barnes, Vardy and Daka.   We need to keep three of our fullbacks.   We will keep others and hopefully sign two, three, four others.

We can lose a few players and still mix it.

6 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

The opportunity at Nice has arisen as their main keeper target fell through. They need a senior keeper for a couple of years tops as they have a prospect in back up. 

We are taking the word of a newspaper which is incredibly hit and miss with transfer rumours as gospel - firstly that the deal actually exists and secondarily the details of it. 

We sign a keeper on £70k a week, that’s £3 million saving on wages alone. We can structure transfer money over years so any reasonable transfer fee for an incoming keeper is not so much an issue 

So if they are in desperate need you demand a fee.

As for incoming I get we probably ain't offering anyone kaspers money for the 1st deal. But it still doesn't actually fix anything in terms of squad size which is actually a bigger problem. Having potentially 3 or 4 players sat in the stands puxking up money is still our biggest issue with regards to incoming because 2 or 3 come in then we have 4 or 5 sat in the stands.

We have got ourselves in one hell of a pickle here all because we tried to build our squad to cope with Europe. And now we don't have it.

I'd much rather we allowed, hamza, mendy, Hurst, Bertrand, jannick, perez I mean take your pick. Walk away for nothing and clear the wage bill and decks that way. Than lose an experienced keeper. I'm actually not too fussed he's going but it doesn't look good for a club supposedly so we'll run. 

• Thanks 1

Guest Col city fan
4 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Every club has fans who will develop an affiliation and rapport with players who technically might not best, or play every week. That's not a weird thing, it's weirder you treat cult heroes as some kind of taboo. 

No doubt Kasper leaving is a big thing, but it's hardly a surprise it was either now or next summer.

It’s not taboo. It just smacks of immaturity and boredom. I do think it’s mainly the realm of the younger generation which I’m assuming you are.

But as I said, if you’re happy to see legends like Schmeichel leave the club whilst defending your cult heroes to the hilt, that’s your perogative. 
Personally I see it as the start to the end of an era. The most special era in the clubs history. And as a lifelong City fan, that’s hard to take. And especially when we see our better players leave and the rubbish still remain.

Change is inevitable. I just hope it’s going to be change for the better.

Just now, Col city fan said:

It’s not taboo. It just smacks of immaturity and boredom. I do think it’s mainly the realm of the younger generation which I’m assuming you are.

But as I said, if you’re happy to see legends like Schmeichel leave the club whilst defending your cult heroes to the hilt, that’s your perogative. 
Personally I see it as the start to the end of an era. The most special era in the clubs history. And as a lifelong City fan, that’s hard to take. And especially when we see our better players leave and the rubbish still remain.

Never said I'm happy he's leaving, just able to accept he probably wants to go and was certain to go next year anyway. If we're able to free up some wages and he gets the move he wants then both parties win (providing Iversen comes good or we get a replacement in). I was probably more shocked when Dyer left having not got a crack at the Prem. Kasper has achieved more than he probably could have ever imagined when he joined us.

Not sure how it smacks of immaturity and boredom to be honest, and the younger generation comment is a weird thing as cult heroes aren't exatly a new phenomenon. We'll leave it there anyway.

10 minutes ago, Bayfox said:

So if they are in desperate need you demand a fee.

As for incoming I get we probably ain't offering anyone kaspers money for the 1st deal. But it still doesn't actually fix anything in terms of squad size which is actually a bigger problem. Having potentially 3 or 4 players sat in the stands puxking up money is still our biggest issue with regards to incoming because 2 or 3 come in then we have 4 or 5 sat in the stands.

We have got ourselves in one hell of a pickle here all because we tried to build our squad to cope with Europe. And now we don't have it.

I'd much rather we allowed, hamza, mendy, Hurst, Bertrand, jannick, perez I mean take your pick. Walk away for nothing and clear the wage bill and decks that way. Than lose an experienced keeper. I'm actually not too fussed he's going but it doesn't look good for a club supposedly so we'll run. 

Again, we are taking the word of an article that it’s a free. The reality is it’s incredibly tough sell to get a fee for a 35 yr old keeper with 12 months left on his contract.

Where I would suggest this deal suits the club is that we won’t have to pay the difference on his wages like we have done with numerous players we’ve let go. 

The players you mentioned don’t have takers currently and if they do have takers, we will still be paying a proportion of their wages over the remaining period of their contract at Leicester hence we awaiting and hoping someone takes on the liability of all those wages. We could take the first offer of a season long loan for them all but that pushes the can down the road and they know it’s always going to be there as a last resort in the final

week. 

The Schmeichel deal if true here represents an opportunity to come out financially better on an asset they never expected to recover money from and a player who was never going to continue playing for Leicester after his contract expired. The situation is not much different from Tielemans 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

13 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Unlikely really! I doubt we will see the likes of Vardy, kasper and Marc again at the club in terms of longevity and sheer achievement. 

They have been with us for a combined 29 year and played over 1000 games winning just about everything in domestic football. 

What a 10 years its been. I could be wrong of course maybe Dewsbury Hall will see out his career here picking up a champions league along the way. But as I say highly unlikely we will see the like of them again. 

There's a couple I think could stay with us for a while yet but it's obviously going to be incredibly hard to match the achievements of the old guard. Wilf (already a fair way there), KDH and Barnes as it stands I could see racking up 200+ league appearances

Edited by Miquel The Work Geordie

16 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Again, we are taking the word of an article that it’s a free. The reality is it’s incredibly tough sell to get a fee for a 35 yr old keeper with 12 months left on his contract.

Where I would suggest this deal suits the club is that we won’t have to pay the difference on his wages like we have done with numerous players we’ve let go. 

The players you mentioned don’t have takers currently and if they do have takers, we will still be paying a proportion of their wages over the remaining period of their contract at Leicester hence we awaiting and hoping someone takes on the liability of all those wages. We could take the first offer of a season long loan for them all but that pushes the can down the road and they know it’s always going to be there as a last resort in the final

week. 

The Schmeichel deal if true here represents an opportunity to come out financially better on an asset they never expected to recover money from and a player who was never going to continue playing for Leicester after his contract expired. The situation is not much different from Tielemans 

Several of those players apparently do have suitors but we demanding fees. If we allowed hamza and perez for example to leave for nothing I'm pretty sure there wouldn't be an issue, but you are correct there's no way the clubs linked wan to pay 10 to 15 million and wages.

Seems 10 years of service has brought kasper enough good will to walk for nothing.

That's fine. Just not sure any of this shows us as well run.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KingsX said:

Let me get this straight.  We’ve just been linked with:

- an “FM legend” kid GK who’ll set us back €20M

- some other keeper named after a Greek myth who can’t crack Benfica's XI

- some CB named after Arthur Treacher who can’t win a header

- oh, and Bernd ***ing Leno

… while we give away Kasper Schmeichel for free, to an equally wealthy club.  And the deadwood on our bench continues to rot.

And some of our fans are dancing in the streets?  World’s gone mad.

Where’s everyone gotten that we’d give away Kasper for free to Nice?

5 minutes ago, KingsX said:

Let me get this straight.  We’ve just been linked with:

- an “FM legend” kid GK who’ll set us back €20M

- some other keeper named after a Greek myth who can’t crack Benfica's XI

- some CB named after Arthur Treacher who can’t win a header

- oh, and Bernd ***ing Leno

… while we give away Kasper Schmeichel for free, to an equally wealthy club.  And the deadwood on our bench continues to rot.

And some of our fans are dancing in the streets?  World’s gone mad.

Pretty much sums it up. 

Although, I’m in the camp if he’s going in 12 months time anyway, so this frees up the wages to sort the squad, I’m happy for it to be now. 

Is it Nice football club or rugby club; impressed with his lineout kicking skills? He has high wages so it would make sense to wish him well with a move onwards for the limited playing time he has remaining.

12 minutes ago, The_77 said:

Where’s everyone gotten that we’d give away Kasper for free to Nice?

https://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Actualites/Kasper-schmeichel-d-accord-pour-rejoindre-nice-mais-leicester-doit-encore-trouver-son-remplacant/1345459

After the turnaround of Yann Sommer, Borussia Mönchengladbach goalkeeper who finally refused to join the Gym, the people of Nice are looking for another number 1 to succeed Walter Benitez, a free party at PSV Eindhoven, and they chose Kasper Schmeichel, as revealed on Saturday on our website.

The Leicester goalkeeper is an ambitious but accessible target because he has, according to our information, agreed to join the Azure club. Although the Dane (35) is under contract until 2023 with Leicester, where he has been playing since 2011, he is able to sign for free in a foreign team this summer, provided that the Foxes find him a replacement. They have not yet succeeded and this is what is currently blocking the arrival of Peter Schmeichel's son on the Côte d'Azur.

• Thanks 1