Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Schmeichel

47 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Iversen should be given the number 1 on sold, absolutely no point in keeping him as back up when we have Ward already and some very talented younger keepers. This is make or break for Iversen.

It's a huge call, a real gamble. If we can promote Iversen and save on Kasper's wages, then it's a game changer as far as our transfer window is concerned. Glad I am not making the decision! 

3 minutes ago, rachhere said:

It's a huge call, a real gamble. If we can promote Iversen and save on Kasper's wages, then it's a game changer as far as our transfer window is concerned. Glad I am not making the decision! 

Iversen is at stage of career where he needs to be a first choice. Played at championship level for Preston so should be ready to step up.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Shows up how bad the Ward signing has been - £12m (+ £8/9m in wages) and he's played 19 games for us and now with Schmeichel off nobody wants him to be no. 1

We're incredibly frivolous with players who won't be first choice.

And it’s why we won’t compete for europe after this season in my opinion. What we previously did well was setting a limit to negotiations and never exceeding them but under Brendan, whether it’s his influence or not, we have gambled heavily on Champions League and missed.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sly said:

Maarten Vandevoordt at Genk would be an option, however he doesn’t have the games under his belt really. 

3 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

@Sly Would love us to be really brava and sign Maarten Vandevoordt

Vandervoort would be good, but he signed for Leipzig in April - staying with Genk for a while and joining them in 2024.

• Sad 2

We have 5 PL games before the transfer window closes.

My thought would be to give Iversen a go for those 5 matches.  If he really isn't cutting it, then we have the option of Ward or going into the transfer market.  Yes, we may get our pants pulled down, but is another option.

As Rachhere says, Preston fans thought very highly of him.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Big Dave said:

My thought would be to give Iversen a go for those 5 matches.  If he really isn't cutting it, then we have the option of Ward or going into the transfer market.  Yes, we may get our pants pulled down, but is another option.

This is not how you do business in football or in any other "market" in life. It's like getting an inexperienced GM for your own business for 2 months, bring the business to its feet and then go all in to save it risking a total collapse. 

8 minutes ago, Big Dave said:

From what I've read, it sounds like Schmeichel won't even be allowed to leave the club until we have a replacement in, so it seems like the club has little faith in the alternatives currently at our disposal. I'm all for bringing through young players, but it's definitely easier to bed in a young defender or a midfielder, who would have seasoned pros around them to help them out - for a keeper, you're on your own, you've got no-one to cover for you, and the team doesn't have the luxury of allowing them to get up to speed.

12 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

And it’s why we won’t compete for europe after this season in my opinion. What we previously did well was setting a limit to negotiations and never exceeding them but under Brendan, whether it’s his influence or not, we have gambled heavily on Champions League and missed.

I don't usually shy away from criticising Rodgers but it was an issue under Puel too so it's Rudkin that deserves the flak. I've made the point before but we spent ~ £25m on Ghezzal and Ward that summer after we'd lost Mahrez - we could have signed a decent replacement and not lumbered ourselves with expensive back ups. Every poor recruitment decision affects us further down the line in different way. Sometimes a transfer just doesn't work due to unforeseen circumstances but the Ghezzal, Ward, Perez, Vestergard, Soumare and Bertrand signings were unforced errors and there were question marks at the time too.

I think if were truly gambling on the champions league we'd have rolled the dice in January 2020 and/or 2021

• Like 1

Just now, Grebfromgrebland said:

And if he's not good enough by now to step up we should get rid

Yes. We could get a fee for him. Just thinking what our attitude would be if we had signed Iversen from Preston after his good work with them. Would we be saying right he has done well and must be OK  The fact he was already our player might colour our judgement?

1 minute ago, Stadt said:

I don't usually shy away from criticising Rodgers but it was an issue under Puel too so it's Rudkin that deserves the flak. I've made the point before but we spent ~ £25m on Ghezzal and Ward that summer after we'd lost Mahrez - we could have signed a decent replacement and not lumbered ourselves with expensive back ups. Every poor recruitment decision affects us further down the line in different way. Sometimes a transfer just doesn't work due to unforeseen circumstances but the Ghezzal, Ward, Perez, Vestergard, Soumare and Bertrand signings were unforced errors and there were question marks at the time too.

I think if were truly gambling on the champions league we'd have rolled the dice in January 2020 and/or 2021

Perez played his part successfully in many games. If he was just a 12-15m signing there would be no complaints at all. Soumare needs time, I wouldn't rule him out already. Bertrand had injuries. No comment for Vester.. 

• Like 1

Guest Col city fan
19 minutes ago, Big Dave said:

:nono:

If Iversen doesn't step up then it's time to can the whole academy goalkeeping set up. When was the last time an academy goalkeeper made an appearance? Total waste of time if one of the best prospects for a good while is still behind wage stealer Danny fvcking Ward.

2 hours ago, Reg Vardy said:

Ward was (I think) £12m….and a Welsh international, and in the few games he has played has been outstanding when picked.

At the same time Iversen is ready to be understudy….can’t see us replacing Kasper, it’s a wage off the bill, and that’s how it is…Kasper has been outstanding for the club, and obviously it will be a blow to lose him, but if not this season it would be next….

Ward was absolutely terrible against Forest and he has been far from convincing in other appearances. He's nowhere near a number one in quality, hence all he's ever done is sit on both Liverpool's and our bench. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, indierich06 said:

From what I've read, it sounds like Schmeichel won't even be allowed to leave the club until we have a replacement in, so it seems like the club has little faith in the alternatives currently at our disposal.

That's an interpretation, and I'm not saying it's wrong. I think the club has been looking at options, including getting someone in. I personally wouldn't necessarily translate that as 'having little faith' - but it certainly indicates that alternatives have been considered. It's not as if anyone has thought, straight off the bat, "nah, we're fine as we are" 

Edited by taupe

6 minutes ago, Micky said:

Ward was absolutely terrible against Forest 

He wasn't alone in that. Many candidates for dropping that day, if that game is going to be the only criteria.

That was a torrid day, and I think any keeper would have had to have been at their best. Not least one that rarely gets a look in. Nobody covered themselves in glory that day (not on our side at any rate)

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Iversen should be given the number 1 on sold, absolutely no point in keeping him as back up when we have Ward already and some very talented younger keepers. This is make or break for Iversen.

I wouldn't be surprised to see both Iversen and Ward sold, certainly one will go. I can see Stolarczyk being number 3 next year, with new keeper as no.1 and either an experienced free transfer as no.2 or Ward/Iversen.

Edited by Steve Earle

It's simple guys. We either sign a GK as good as Kasper with extra box commanding/domination skills or we even risk a BR resignation after the Sevilla game and find ourselves in a bigger mess. Or Kasper stays and hope that his relationship with team and owners is not damaged beyond repair. 

Just now, Fear Of The Fox said:

It's simple guys. We either sign a GK as good as Kasper with extra box commanding/domination skills or we even risk a BR resignation after the Sevilla game and find ourselves in a bigger mess. Or Kasper stays and hope that his relationship with team and owners is not damaged beyond repair. 

Why would that happen? I'm sure he would have been informed / knows the situation. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Fear Of The Fox said:

The leaps some of your brains make on this forum I swear to god lol

• Haha 2