Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Schmeichel

Just when you think things have hit rock bottom. Our house has gone into crisis mode with KWS ‘please don’t go’ played on loop. Hope kasper and Wes can hear it on full volume. The missus has started to get creative and suggested we set up Wes with Danica from love island when she gets out. She likes footballers and will help him with the analysis of his performance. Apparently she is good at that. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, taupe said:

He wasn't alone in that. Many candidates for dropping that day, if that game is going to be the only criteria.

That was a torrid day, and I think any keeper would have had to have been at their best. Not least one that rarely gets a look in. Nobody covered themselves in glory that day (not on our side at any rate)

Rather crucially I think you missed off the last part of my sentence. 

2 minutes ago, Clive Taylor said:

Leno at Arsenal would be a good signing, very good keeper who needs a move for his World Cup ambitions.

The keeper that has lost his place in the arsenal team. Desperation springs to mind.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

Harvey Barnes was raved about in the Championship and loved by West Brom. KDH was raved about in the championship and loved by Luton. 

So why are we doubting Iverson? Its what we do. I get he has big shoes to fill but if he isnt given the chance now then what is the point? A goalkeeper is under the spot light more than anyone but he knows that and so do the club. 

We have little to lose and a lot to gain seems like a no brainer to me. 

Let him and Ward fight it out for the number 1 spot and then invest Kasper's wages to somewhere else when it is needed. 

I think technically he has weaknesses and at the end of last season talk to PnE fans as his confidence wained - he has potential but that’s not where we are as a club unfortunately it will need more than potential 

The club has managed its talent fantastically on loans as both Barnes and KDH were not ready until they had experienced championship footy and been outstanding and consistent - I think Iversen needs another season at least and we cannot gamble as Kasper has so much impact on and off the pitch we at least need some experience.

15 minutes ago, Clive Taylor said:

Leno at Arsenal would be a good signing, very good keeper who needs a move for his World Cup ambitions.

No thanks. awful keeper. You seen all the clangers he has dropped at Arsenal? Opposite of reliable. 

Fact of the matter is if he goes, we clear a load of room in the wage budget - we could bring in 3 players on nearly £50k a week and be in more or less the same position wages-wise. If we ended up with Schmeichel leaving (and it doesn't sound like he'll be the only one) and we bring in Lafont, Colwill and Madueke for example, I don't think many of us will have much criticism of that business.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Stadt said:

I don't usually shy away from criticising Rodgers but it was an issue under Puel too so it's Rudkin that deserves the flak. I've made the point before but we spent ~ £25m on Ghezzal and Ward that summer after we'd lost Mahrez - we could have signed a decent replacement and not lumbered ourselves with expensive back ups. Every poor recruitment decision affects us further down the line in different way. Sometimes a transfer just doesn't work due to unforeseen circumstances but the Ghezzal, Ward, Perez, Vestergard, Soumare and Bertrand signings were unforced errors and there were question marks at the time too.

I think if were truly gambling on the champions league we'd have rolled the dice in January 2020 and/or 2021

You are right that it’s not Brendan’s fault entirely for the wages etc but I wonder how much of an influence he has had on some of it but yep the bottom line on this is the buck stops with Rudkin.

Agreed on the January thing as well which makes it all very strange, but why else have we agreed to pay back ups an astronomical wage. I’ve said elsewhere, paying Hamza 50/60k borders on pure incompetence.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Costock_Fox said:

You are right that it’s not Brendan’s fault entirely for the wages etc but I wonder how much of an influence he has had on some of it but yep the bottom line on this is the buck stops with Rudkin.

Agreed on the January thing as well which makes it all very strange, but why else have we agreed to pay back ups an astronomical wage. I’ve said elsewhere, paying Hamza 50/60k borders on pure incompetence.

Looking back to 2019, what on earth had he even done at that point to justify a new contract with such an increase? I'm all for bringing through youth prospects, and we've had some great success with it, but he's one that should have been moved on a while ago.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, indierich06 said:

Fact of the matter is if he goes, we clear a load of room in the wage budget - we could bring in 3 players on nearly £50k a week and be in more or less the same position wages-wise. If we ended up with Schmeichel leaving (and it doesn't sound like he'll be the only one) and we bring in Lafont, Colwill and Madueke for example, I don't think many of us will have much criticism of that business.

one of the main issues is that we already have too many players. Top see it as wasted money having a professional on our books who can’t get into the premier league squad, especially with no European competition.. It will be a one in one out policy

Edited by MPH

4 minutes ago, indierich06 said:

Looking back to 2019, what on earth had he even done at that point to justify a new contract with such an increase? I'm all for bringing through youth prospects, and we've had some great success with it, but he's one that should have been moved on a while ago.

Nothing is the answer. I can’t remember the year but at one point he played in back to back wins V Man City and Chelsea.

29 minutes ago, Micky said:

Rather crucially I think you missed off the last part of my sentence. 

Deliberately so. I acknowledge "far from convincing in other appearances" and see at as valid reasoning for your conclusion. You do choose that performance to remark upon though, as if it was indicative, and that's what I intentionally wanted to pick up on.

My intention was to make the point that he was not the only one to be rubbish that day. For me, one should strike that performance from the books. Forget that day even. Ward can't be the only one to be judged by it. 

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Given we are in a right old mess with wages, we have to start taking some risks. Risking Iversen, Ward or even Stolarczyk as number 1 for 6 months to a year when we have a big overhaul coming and can always revisit it then.

I do wonder why you'd sign for Leicester as a young keeper, we sign one every season and they play for their country at youth level but surely they must understand they've very little chance given the competition. We've 5 keepers that fall in to that bracket! 

Yep, start the season with Iverson and if he is a disaster sign another.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, taupe said:

Deliberately so. I acknowledge "far from convincing in other appearances" and see at as valid reasoning for your conclusion. You do choose that performance to remark upon though, as if it was indicative, and that's what I intentionally wanted to pick up on.

My intention was to make the point that he was not the only one to be rubbish that day. For me, one should strike that performance from the books. Forget that day even. Ward can't be the only one to be judged by it. 

I disagree. Daniel Amartey was also very poor that day but he has had games in the premier league where he been excellent. Ward however does not have that behind him. And before you say it's because he's not been given a chance, that is for a reason.

11 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Of course a sad day, but no doubt it is time, and he deserves to move at a time of his choosing - of course respecting the club.  Ward and Iverson are good enough to fight it out imo, to save vast wages and focus money elsewhere.

Was just going to post similar. Absolutely no point at this moment in replacing when we have so many other keepers on the books and most of them are highly rated.

Give Iverson the chance to make the spot his own while knowing we have some top quality youngsters coming through too. If we can save £120k a week then that can only be good for ffp. 

1 hour ago, Old Fox said:

I think technically he has weaknesses and at the end of last season talk to PnE fans as his confidence wained - he has potential but that’s not where we are as a club unfortunately it will need more than potential 

The club has managed its talent fantastically on loans as both Barnes and KDH were not ready until they had experienced championship footy and been outstanding and consistent - I think Iversen needs another season at least and we cannot gamble as Kasper has so much impact on and off the pitch we at least need some experience.

Every player has weaknesses even the top keepers. 

We need to trust in our youth development and if Iverson is the new line then give him chance. 

I disagree to we this season are in the best place to experiment with potential. No European football and a strong enough team to finish comfortably in the top half of the league. 

Next season if we clear a massive chunk of the wage bill we can re-asses our position. 

Fans are almost going to have to bear with the team this season and give the likes of Iverson a chance as i think its clear we are go into the season in a position that everyone is not 100% comfortable with. 

1 hour ago, goose2010 said:

Harvey Barnes was raved about in the Championship and loved by West Brom. KDH was raved about in the championship and loved by Luton. 

So why are we doubting Iverson? Its what we do. I get he has big shoes to fill but if he isnt given the chance now then what is the point? A goalkeeper is under the spot light more than anyone but he knows that and so do the club. 

We have little to lose and a lot to gain seems like a no brainer to me. 

Let him and Ward fight it out for the number 1 spot and then invest Kasper's wages to somewhere else when it is needed. 

Agree with this.  Give him his chance 

You can add Maddison and Justin to that list too.

• Like 1