Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Schmeichel

Is there any other keeper currently playing that has been their club's #1 for over a decade? He's the heart of our club, we're going to miss him so much.

For exactly that reason, if he wants to leave then we can't stand in his way. He'll be back someday, I'm sure if it.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Bryn said:

Really sad to see him go but I think the timing feels right for all concerned.

Really think we should be giving Iversen the jersey and using the wages elsewhere.

I don’t. Iversen was highly rated at Preston but has looked shaky in preseason. I really think that we need a keeper who has proven experience of playing at a high-level because Ward isn’t up to it either.

Sell Ward, utilise Iversen in cup games (to enhance his development) and get a decent keeper in.

Edited by Matt_Lcfc

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Given we are in a right old mess with wages, we have to start taking some risks. Risking Iversen, Ward or even Stolarczyk as number 1 for 6 months to a year when we have a big overhaul coming and can always revisit it then.

I do wonder why you'd sign for Leicester as a young keeper, we sign one every season and they play for their country at youth level but surely they must understand they've very little chance given the competition. We've 5 keepers that fall in to that bracket! 

This is what has bugged/confused me about this. Kasper wants to leave for another challenge at the end of his career. Fair enough, he deserves it after 10 years with us. But why can we only sell him if we find a replacement?

We have Iversen, highly rated, rave reviews at Preston. He wants a number 1 spot and why not give it to him and see how it goes. We don't have money so we need to trust in what we have and risk a little. Ward is a solid backup and we have another young guy as third choice, great experience for him.

If we get desperate in January due to some injuries, then we find a short term solution. I think saving money on some hefty wages is key right now (or allocating those wages elsewhere).

• Like 4

6 hours ago, taupe said:

So.... when do you think he'll actually go?

Are we're all assuming it's before the start of the season? With us to let him go without bringing in a replacement? Or is he here, as Equipe said, until we bring someone in? 

Bump?

Anyone any idea of when this will happen? Is Kasper packing his bags as we speak?

• Like 1

Just now, Matt_Lcfc said:

I don’t. Iversen was highly rated at Preston but has looked shaky in preseason. I really think that we need a keeper who has proven experience of playing at a high-level because Ward isn’t up to it either.

You can't write someone off after one or two games. He needs time and a consistent run in the team behind that backline. Plus, pre season games are no great indicator. I am all for giving Iversen his chance this season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, indierich06 said:

Looking back to 2019, what on earth had he even done at that point to justify a new contract with such an increase? I'm all for bringing through youth prospects, and we've had some great success with it, but he's one that should have been moved on a while ago.

I think he was playing in a successful England U-21 setup at the time, but it all went wrong for him (didn't he get himself sent off in a crucial tournament game, and England went out). It has been all downhill from there, or at least from  when he signed that deal.

I might be wrong on timings as it was a while back, but I think that was peak Hamza. He was very fashionable for a while.

1 minute ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

You can't write someone off after one or two games. He needs time and a consistent run in the team behind that backline. Plus, pre season games are no great indicator. I am all for giving Iversen his chance this season.

I am not sure where I have written him off in my post. I just think it is a massive gamble, he has had one credible season and is being touted as a replacement to arguably our greatest ever keeper. 

I’d much rather utilise his wages to sign an established keeper as there will be game time for Iversen in the domestic cups. 

It could be the difference between ten points, it is absolutely crucial that we get it right.  

3 hours ago, Stadt said:

I don't usually shy away from criticising Rodgers but it was an issue under Puel too so it's Rudkin that deserves the flak. I've made the point before but we spent ~ £25m on Ghezzal and Ward that summer after we'd lost Mahrez - we could have signed a decent replacement and not lumbered ourselves with expensive back ups. Every poor recruitment decision affects us further down the line in different way. Sometimes a transfer just doesn't work due to unforeseen circumstances but the Ghezzal, Ward, Perez, Vestergard, Soumare and Bertrand signings were unforced errors and there were question marks at the time too.

I think if were truly gambling on the champions league we'd have rolled the dice in January 2020 and/or 2021

I'm with you. Brendan may want players. But its Rudkins job to balance the books.

Whoever said give Hamza a new contract it was Rudkin that filled in the figures and signed it not the manager.

Iverson (25) should be given the number 1 shirt with Stolarczyk (21) given the 2nd keeper slot, it’s pretty clear that Rodgers doesn’t think Ward is capable so we get rid of 2 wages and promote within, can’t see the point of forking out multi millions in transfers & wages, we need players off our books as we are top heavy before we can make any moves in the transfer market… 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, NewquayFox said:

Iverson (25) should be given the number 1 shirt with Stolarczyk (21) given the 2nd keeper slot, it’s pretty clear that Rodgers doesn’t think Ward is capable so we get rid of 2 wages and promote within, can’t see the point of forking out multi millions in transfers & wages, we need players off our books as we are top heavy before we can make any moves in the transfer market… 

I’m not sure it’s clear Rodgers thinks that about Ward, he’s consistently described Schmeichel and Ward as his “two number ones.” Ward’s been injured this preseason.  

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Centreleigh said:

Would love to see us sign Ben Foster (free agent) to work with Iversen. Either with Foster as No1 bringing Iversen on, or giving Iversen the gloves and having Foster pushing him and supporting.

Ben Foster is a loser, don’t want him or his shit YouTube channel anywhere near us.

• Thanks 1

Wouldn’t want Foster and his GoPro anywhere near us. Bloke had the bottle to vlog himself all week and then drop clanger after clanger whilst his team got the boot from the league. 

Seems like a nice guy but I wouldn’t have it anywhere near a team, let alone one in the Premier League. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Given we are in a right old mess with wages, we have to start taking some risks. Risking Iversen, Ward or even Stolarczyk as number 1 for 6 months to a year when we have a big overhaul coming and can always revisit it then.

I do wonder why you'd sign for Leicester as a young keeper, we sign one every season and they play for their country at youth level but surely they must understand they've very little chance given the competition. We've 5 keepers that fall in to that bracket! 

How much do you think he's worth Ric? 

I agree with your remarks totally. I'd propose 3x players @ 50k per year is doable with his salary void, but what kind of capital will we be asking for? Or will schmeichel try to leverage his longevity at the club for a quick reduced fee? That won't help us..

2 minutes ago, kingkisnorbo said:

Wouldn’t want Foster and his GoPro anywhere near us. Bloke had the bottle to vlog himself all week and then drop clanger after clanger whilst his team got the boot from the league. 

Seems like a nice guy but I wouldn’t have it anywhere near a team, let alone one in the Premier League. 

This. Your mentality is shocking if you are getting your GoPro out and calling opposition players ‘legends’ after being pumped 3-0 away at Fulham.

Edited by Matt_Lcfc
  • Like 1