Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Schmeichel

1 hour ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

This is what has bugged/confused me about this. Kasper wants to leave for another challenge at the end of his career. Fair enough, he deserves it after 10 years with us. But why can we only sell him if we find a replacement?

We have Iversen, highly rated, rave reviews at Preston. He wants a number 1 spot and why not give it to him and see how it goes. We don't have money so we need to trust in what we have and risk a little. Ward is a solid backup and we have another young guy as third choice, great experience for him.

If we get desperate in January due to some injuries, then we find a short term solution. I think saving money on some hefty wages is key right now (or allocating those wages elsewhere).

I think your question can only be answered if we have some more insight into the talks Kasper had with Top and the rest of the team. As it stands Kasper, as a proper legend of this team, doesn't want to leave the team exposed for moral reasons. The emotional ties between Kasper and our team may be even bigger than we imagine. 

15 minutes ago, Centreleigh said:

Would love to see us sign Ben Foster (free agent) to work with Iversen. Either with Foster as No1 bringing Iversen on, or giving Iversen the gloves and having Foster pushing him and supporting.

Would certainly help with our current predicament of having overpaid players sitting there not offering on the pitch.

5 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

How much do you think he's worth Ric? 

I agree with your remarks totally. I'd propose 3x players @ 50k per year is doable with his salary void, but what kind of capital will we be asking for? Or will schmeichel try to leverage his longevity at the club for a quick reduced fee? That won't help us..

I think we'll agree to let him leave for free if he either agrees to a pay cut or that Nice fund any drop in wages with a signing on fee that they will save on no transfer fee. It's a shame as theoretically at 35 he's still got plenty left as a goalkeeper and for all his faults he's still one of the best shot stoppers in Europe and ought to command a fee.

1 hour ago, Matt_Lcfc said:

I am not sure where I have written him off in my post. I just think it is a massive gamble, he has had one credible season and is being touted as a replacement to arguably our greatest ever keeper. 

I’d much rather utilise his wages to sign an established keeper as there will be game time for Iversen in the domestic cups. 

It could be the difference between ten points, it is absolutely crucial that we get it right.  

It depends on a couple of things:

1. Is this new keeper going to be good enough? If not we risk blowing money.

2. Is Iverson happy playing third choice (surely Ward remains our number 2)? If not, do we sell and risk a future number 1? Or can we loan him out for another season to be number 1 at a high profile club?

Schmeichel is a loss no doubt but it presents us with an opportunity. Personally, I would use that opportunity to have Iverson and Ward fight out for number 1 spot.

Who would you go for in the current market as a replacement?

I reckon he asked for an extension , was told OK but on a much reduced salary and no guarantee of being first choice. This is the usual practise with veteran footballers. I find it impossible to believe that Nice would match his current pay and offer an extended contract to a player of his age  I bet Fabianski is on half of Kasper's pay.

Just now, Lambert09 said:

honestly a bit tired of comments claiming iversen isn’t good enough because you’ve seen him in two pre-season games. I hope you realize how ridiculous that is. 

I hope our club have actually followed his competitive career and are using proper judgement, not writing him off because he flapped a few times against notts county in his first game back in months and didn’t want to risk getting himself or a leuven injured in a friendly …. This forum is something else sometimes! 

You wouldn’t write off an outfield player for being rusty in pre-season yet for a keeper it’s fine? 

Iversen has proved he’s ready for the premier league imo but the question is whether that’s bottom half or top half but i’m more than patient enough to find out this season if given a chance. The whole move seems pointless if we sign someone else 

If this is true. It's a shame it didn't happen last month, then we could have gone all out for Pope.

I do get it though, at his age there is nothing left for him to achieve here. He's done everything he possibly could. 4 trophies and participated in 3 European competitions. So it makes sense he'd want to try something new, IF it is true.

2 minutes ago, Genesis1 said:

If this is true. It's a shame it didn't happen last month, then we could have gone all out for Pope.

I do get it though, at his age there is nothing left for him to achieve here. He's done everything he possibly could. 4 trophies and participated in 3 European competitions. So it makes sense he'd want to try something new, IF it is true.

as controversial as it sounds… I’d personally still prefer to give our keepers a shot over paying 10m for pope and 80k in wages :dunno:

• Like 4

I am not sure where I have written him off in my post. I just think it is a massive gamble, he has had one credible season and is being touted as a replacement to arguably our greatest ever keeper. 

FFS He may be our most successful ever keeper (whilst with the club*, certainly for the club) but he’s nowhere close to as good as Banks or Shilton, probably a few others that could be added to that list.

*Banks won the World Cup while be a city player.

29 minutes ago, Stinky said:

Simply when we're skint and we need to raise money to make signings, we should use whatever money we make from this deal to sign a winger. Getting by a season with Ward/Iversen isn't THAT bad, they might even surprise some people. What is the point in hoarding these young keepers for as long as we have to succeed Kasper if we're just going to blow money we barely have on his replacement? 

I do not think we are skint. It is more the case we have a very high wage bill coupled with enough surplus dead-wood to solve Germany´s forthcoming energy crisis.

So we simply need to reduce numbers first and foremost and partly replace more wisely than we have done in the past with younger players having potential but earning much lower wages.

It is the media and click-baiters that think we need a fire sale of our star assets. I do not believe we are in this position, but could be wrong.

Edited by mozartfox
  • Like 1

For me it would make the club & Rodgers look amateur if they don't go with Ward after BR telling us he has two number one keepers. 

I personally would not be disappointed to see Ward & Iverson battle it out for the job.

57 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

FFS He may be our most successful ever keeper (whilst with the club*, certainly for the club) but he’s nowhere close to as good as Banks or Shilton, probably a few others that could be added to that list.

*Banks won the World Cup while be a city player.

Ability wasn’t the metric that I was using. A good keeper yes, but clearly not as good as Banks and Shilton (this is pretty obvious) hence why I didn’t explain it. 

Schmeichel has given us twelve years of service, won four trophies and played in European knockout games of the highest order. 

For me, that makes him a club legend and our greatest ever keeper. You’ve clearly misinterpreted what I meant.

Edited by Matt_Lcfc

1 hour ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

It depends on a couple of things:

1. Is this new keeper going to be good enough? If not we risk blowing money.

2. Is Iverson happy playing third choice (surely Ward remains our number 2)? If not, do we sell and risk a future number 1? Or can we loan him out for another season to be number 1 at a high profile club?

Schmeichel is a loss no doubt but it presents us with an opportunity. Personally, I would use that opportunity to have Iverson and Ward fight out for number 1 spot.

Who would you go for in the current market as a replacement?

I agree with your first point, as I have said above, we do leave ourselves exposed. 

Regarding your second point, I’d make Iversen two. Ward could easily be sold as he is upper championship / lower PL standard. The reason I’d sell Ward is for two reasons. Firstly, he has higher market value, secondly, he doesn’t have the same ceiling as Iversen because he is four years older. 

There are keepers out there, Raya from Brentford and Sánchez would be far better options. Also, the keeper that we are being linked with from Benfica will also have far superior experience to both Iversen and Ward. There will be keepers out there for a decent price, no concerns about that.

• Like 1

If Kasper goes I see no benefit in signing a new keeper unless they are guaranteed to be amazing. If Ward and/or Iversen are not good enough to be given until January to stake their claim then they are not good enough to be number 2 and so are not good enough to be at the club. Think about it this way if Kasper stays and he gets a long term injury the day after transfer deadline day we would be in the same position.

10 minutes ago, Matt_Lcfc said:

I agree with your first point, as I have said above, we do leave ourselves exposed. 

Regarding your second point, I’d make Iversen two. Ward could easily be sold as he is upper championship / lower PL standard. The reason I’d sell Ward is for two reasons. Firstly, he has higher market value, secondly, he doesn’t have the same ceiling as Iversen because he is four years older. 

There are keepers out there, Raya from Brentford and Sánchez would be far better options. Also, the keeper that we are being linked with from Benfica will also have far superior experience to both Iversen and Ward. There will be keepers out there for a decent price, no concerns about that.

It's a tricky one. Those keepers would no doubt be good acquisitions if a decent price/wage can be agreed.

However, not sure on the number 2 scenario as not keeping Ward leaves us exposed if there is an injury or two. On the other hand keeping Ward would certainly mean Iveren becomes number 3 and not sure he would accept that.

Let's see what happens these next few weeks. Very difficult to cover a GK position multiple times as there is very little chance of rotation like in other positions. So a squad is unlikely to have 2 or 3 fantastic keepers on the books at one time. But if you have one or two injuries it can get desperate. I think Southampton suffered the other season as their two first choices were out.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Captain... said:

If Kasper goes I see no benefit in signing a new keeper unless they are guaranteed to be amazing. If Ward and/or Iversen are not good enough to be given until January to stake their claim then they are not good enough to be number 2 and so are not good enough to be at the club. Think about it this way if Kasper stays and he gets a long term injury the day after transfer deadline day we would be in the same position.

Most keepers can pull a couple of rabbits out of a hat for a game or two but to perform consistently is what makes a keeper class. Trouble is that we can’t afford to pay the wages  for 3 keepers to be equally as good as each other  and for two of them to not play. 

so in other words, yes give one of them a try until January and if it works out great give them a new contract and increase their wages. if it doesn’t  and they are happy to  play back up then that will also be ok.

let’s not forget that Ward pulled off some absolute worldies at the Euros with Wales.  I’d like to see him given 5 games in a row to at least try and settle into the roll. If he can’t do it consistently then either move on to someone else or give Iversen a go.

1 hour ago, mozartfox said:

I do not think we are skint. It is more the case we have a very high wage bill coupled with enough surplus dead-wood to solve Germany´s forthcoming energy crisis.

So we simply need to reduce numbers first and foremost and partly replace more wisely than we have done in the past with younger players having potential but earning much lower wages.

It is the media and click-baiters that think we need a fire sale of our star assets. I do not believe we are in this position, but could be wrong.

Well yeah not that we're skint, but we're not in a position to spend money. Same point lol

1 hour ago, lgfualol said:

If we were looking to sign Iversen from Preston off the back of his POTY season where he made mental saves, I think people would be more open to giving him a chance. 

We are often less impressed with our academy products than new signings. KDH suffered the same thing, and to a lesser extent, Callum Wright (we signed Justin from League One after all).

Just now, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

We are often less impressed with our academy products than new signings. KDH suffered the same thing, and to a lesser extent, Callum Wright (we signed Justin from League One after all).

It is true nearly all our academy products are said to be too young , not good enough and the usual mantra "needs a loan". Callum Wright is not an academy product but is still too young and needs yet another loan according to some. He will be ready before he is 30 - hopefully.

• Like 1

Some players are late developers, lucky we didn’t sell Vardy because he was older and have the same “ceiling”as a younger player.

Iverson has played a lot more matches