Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Schmeichel

11 minutes ago, StanSP said:

£1m is a bargain for Nice. 

What wages was he on here? 

Maybe it could be a blessing in disguise. We've lost someone who will remain an absolute hero and legend for us, but is nearing the end of his career. Absolutely gutted to sell him so suddenly and unexpectedly, but paves the way for someone new to take up the reigns. No doubt he was on big wages so hopefully frees some up. 

Fear his personality and character will be missed just as much as his quality on the pitch. 

Good luck to him - no Leicester fan should realistically show any ill-will towards him after all he's done and all he's been through. 

He will be welcome back any time! 

Sketchy random "footballer salary" websites reckon about £130k-£140k per week. Football Manager (who I'd trust more given their connections) reckon about £150k per week.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

If he goes this week then he’d better be there on Sunday to receive a presentation in front of the fans 

He bloody best be, he's arguably our 2nd most influential player in our history behind Vardy and his heroics in the cup final might actually elevate him higher. Its a very sad day thst its come to this but that's the nature of time and aging and wanting new challenges. Its probably about the right time, however hard this is to see him go.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

1m and his £120k a week wage effectively removes £140k a week from the wage bill. Get someone like Vestergaard and the likes of Praet, Perez and Hamza gone and we'll be fine to bring replacements in.

We should keep Praet!..

He's very decent.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, weller54 said:

We should keep Praet!..

He's very decent.

He's supposedly on a very big wage with Brendan also seemingly not being that bothered. I agree he's a good player but i'd sooner free the wages up for someone new.

A great player for the club who will go down as a legend. However hate him being captain and he doesn’t help us out on our set pieces it’s definitely time for a change. Can’t help feel we’re going to be spending money in the positions we don’t want to though. 

For a legend of the club to leave suddenly just before the start of the season seems all wrong to me. He's not had a proper send off, which he fully deserves, and we're left with a very major change to our first team less than a week before the PL starts. Things just don't feel right about the club at the moment. 

3 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

For a legend of the club to leave suddenly just before the start of the season seems all wrong to me. He's not had a proper send off, which he fully deserves, and we're left with a very major change to our first team less than a week before the PL starts. Things just don't feel right about the club at the moment. 

I was shocked last night: Kasper didn't do a lap, didn't give a wave (even Youri did that) - he just walked down the tunnel. 

• Sad 2

12 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

It seems like this is entirely Schmeichel's decision, so the club can't be blamed for not giving him a proper send-off. The timing is unfortunate perhaps, but lots of clubs will be selling and buying key players for the next month until the window shuts. I suspect we'll replace him rather than rely on Iversen/Ward, but that will become clearer in due course...

I think you have to consider as well how much long did we have good quality Schmeichel left as well? They look to have given him three years at Nice but they have a rated young keeper and you'd think it's mentor type idea. It's similar to what occurred with Dad when he went to Sporting 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

2 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Can't underestimate how lucky we've been to have such a solid keeper in the nets for over a decade. Yep his distribution was poor at times. He could have done better at corners. But it was rare that you looked back at a game and thought "we lost that one because of Schmeichel." Conversely how many times did we stay in games and ties thanks to his heroics? We won that FA Cup Final not just because of Tielemans' rocket, but Schmiechel's save.

Massive shoes to fill for whoever comes in. 

As much as I hate to say he made very notable gaffs in the two games where we lost a CL place on the last day of the season. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

18 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

He’ll play Sunday.

39 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

1m and his £120k a week wage effectively removes £140k a week from the wage bill. Get someone like Vestergaard and the likes of Praet, Perez and Hamza gone and we'll be fine to bring replacements in.

Vestergaard, Perez, Hamza all I agree with. Would sooner sell Mendy & Amartey instead of Praet.

1 minute ago, StriderHiryu said:

Can't underestimate how lucky we've been to have such a solid keeper in the nets for over a decade. Yep his distribution was poor at times. He could have done better at corners. But it was rare that you looked back at a game and thought "we lost that one because of Schmeichel." Conversely how many times did we stay in games and ties thanks to his heroics? We won that FA Cup Final not just because of Tielemans' rocket, but Schmiechel's save.

Massive shoes to fill for whoever comes in. 

All true @StriderHiryu, yet I also ask myself ‘what if?’ about his meltdowns away at Bournemouth and at home to Spurs. Both contributed to missing out on 4th place finishes. Not all down to him of course (Cags at Bournemouth!), but he failed us badly then when it really mattered. Except at Wembley of course - an unforgettable performance!

36 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

I’m hopeful it will prove to be a blessing in disguise @StanSP, but without doubt this is my ‘be careful what you wish for’ moment 

Yeah, that's fair. I don't wish for this signing at all don't get me wrong. Just trying to pluck at the positives that could come out of it :D 

Guest Col city fan
25 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

I agree

And Schmeichel IS a huge legend at the club!

For him just to drift off to France without a proper goodbye would be really really poor imo.

The club feels ‘strange’ at the moment.