Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Schmeichel

Means we can invest those wages elsewhere in the squad (RW) and hopefully quite quickly. If it’s a total disaster we’ve got January window to do some GK business. Will struggle to get better than what we’ve got without a barrel load more wages so may as well give them both an opportunity.

5 minutes ago, Corky said:

Not surprised, there must've been a reason for giving Ward a new deal.

True, but there must've been a reason why Ward has always been a number 2 and made something like 70 appearances in over a decade as a professional. 40+ of those appearances in the Championship. He's been #2 behind some absolutely awful keepers too. I'd hedge my bets that he's a massive step down from Kasper without even seeing him much. 

Just now, EnderbyFox said:

Very nervous if Ward is the one we go for. Isn't he second choice for Wales behind Wayne Hennessey? 

He's been second choice his entire career behind some awful keepers too. The only time he's been first choice is in the championship and scottish prem. If we go ahead with Ward and he's a disaster, that will be yet another horrendous decision made by BR.

obviously certain things have been shared with the Merc and close sources over the last few days and they have allowed them to release small pieces this week as things unfold- I find those quotes from Rodgers absolutely mind boggling- he thinks Ward is a number 1 and has just been unlucky- wowsers- Ward is ok- bang averagely ok- Forest are going to have Henderson in goal and we are going into the season with Ward- holy crap- thats proper mental

• Like 1

Just now, cityfanlee23 said:

He's been second choice his entire career behind some awful keepers too. The only time he's been first choice is in the championship and scottish prem. If we go ahead with Ward and he's a disaster, that will be yet another horrendous decision made by BR.

I would hate to be stuck with ward being our number one, until January at the earliest lol 

• Like 1

Just now, jv1 said:

obviously certain things have been shared with the Merc and close sources over the last few days and they have allowed them to release small pieces this week as things unfold- I find those quotes from Rodgers absolutely mind boggling- he thinks Ward is a number 1 and has just been unlucky- wowsers- Ward is ok- bang averagely ok- Forest are going to have Henderson in goal and we are going into the season with Ward- holy crap- thats proper mental

Honestly, I think top half will be a hell of an achievement. My prediction is 11th-12th, after Rodgers manages to injure half the squad again and we have absolutely nothing on the bench to fix it. Can't get excited about this season, I really can't. Such a shame.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

In twenty years time we'll be looking back on Kasper Schmeichel thinking "what a player".

I'd say less than 20 and more like 10 when he becomes our manager. 

9 minutes ago, happy85 said:

Unsurprising, the goalkeepers we were linked with didn’t fill me with much confidence. 

Sticking with familiar surroundings and seeing how it goes might be the best way forward this season.

Losing a goalkeeper who’s been with us since 2011 could be a difficult task to replace, giving Ward & Iversen a shot who the players are already familiar with is fine by me for at least one season.

• Like 2

Iversen is 25 with 150 league appearances behind him and looked a star in the Championship for two years running.

I'm more than happy for him to be given the opportunity to prove himself, if he's not ready now he never will be. It makes good business to cash in on Kasper now and get a small fee and his big wages off the bill, not may rate Kaspar higher than I do but the timing is right for all concerned for him to move on now.

1 minute ago, cityfanlee23 said:

Honestly, I think top half will be a hell of an achievement. My prediction is 11th-12th, after Rodgers manages to injure half the squad again and we have absolutely nothing on the bench to fix it. Can't get excited about this season, I really can't. Such a shame.

lol

15 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

He did also kick in into the back of ndidi for Bournemouth to equalise in the 4-1 meltdown. He's had his share of blunders over the year but so has every keeper, the main thing is the number of incredible moments he's had for us such as the CL penalty save or the FA cup final, our greatest ever keeper imo.

Yep, he’s been a superb keeper and for the record, he was very good in both of those seasons. You could literally dig out individual errors / players who have gone missing so many times from every single player over those two years, just as a keeper you are scrutinised way more. 

As you say though, his good moments comfortably outweigh his poor ones. Pointing out poor moments in the odd big game to justify how we will fare with his departure is quite narrow minded.

Edited by Matt_Lcfc
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

It just may make sense to go with Ward/Iversen until next year?

I dont think going with a sub standard goal keeper makes any sense in any possible way at any possible time- a top top keeper is so important- we will quite possibly have one of the worst keepers in the Prem - Insane not to get a keeper in- time will tell

• Like 1

I can only hope the fact we're not intending to replace him means we've got his wages earmarked for a winger and/or a centre back. Neither Ward nor Iversen inspire me with a great deal of confidence but if we really think giving them a chance is the best option we've got then so be it.

• Like 1

Just now, jv1 said:

I dont think going with a sub standard goal keeper makes any sense in any possible way at any possible time- a top top keeper is so important- we will quite possibly have one of the worst keepers in the Prem - Insane not to get a keeper in- time will tell

So it makes sense to blow our budget on an area we are not short? Bigger fish to fry, and if you are not going to back youth or backup now, you never will.

Just now, jv1 said:

I feel the same, a quality keeper is a must. Going for a second choice goalie and hoping for the best won’t work 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, EnderbyFox said:

Very nervous if Ward is the one we go for. Isn't he second choice for Wales behind Wayne Hennessey? 

Me too but, a long stint in goal might do a lot for his confidence and prove he is worthy of filling Schmeichels boots or.... Gloves. I mean none of us have seen Ward play consecutive games for us, it might be just what he needs. Hopefully it works out. The way this summer has gone I have the same doubts as I did going into 15/16 and we all know what happened there 😉 Gonna miss Kasper though. Solid keeper. Legend! 

2 minutes ago, Guest said:

I can only hope the fact we're not intending to replace him means we've got his wages earmarked for a winger and/or a centre back. Neither Ward nor Iversen inspire me with a great deal of confidence but if we really think giving them a chance is the best option we've got then so be it.

If it comes down to that, I think I would go with Iversen, I feel he is capable of being a future number one, ward is just a number 2 and that won’t change