Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Schmeichel

53 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Bar a couple of mistakes in some meaningless friendlies, what's the issue with Iversen?

Iversen made two howlers in preseason, but now we know why: He was trying too hard to impress, I think. I would rather look at his record at Preston, where he did very, very well. If we don't give two gk's on the books -- one a 12 million international and the other a top Championship player -- a chance at the #1 jersey, what's the point?

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, sdb said:

I think we have to accept that this season is going to be one of consolidation. 

Lose 3-4 big earners, try and tie down a few of our key players and aim towards the rebuild next summer. Personally I'm happy to give Iverson/Ward a chance this season if it means keeping a Madders/Fofana et.al. We may as well determine whether or not they're good enough. 

In all honesty, I think we are a CB and RW away from contending for Top 7. I can't remember which journalist it was, but someone last week said they were in the camp, and was very impressed by the attitude of the squad for the season. I usually don't give much credence to pre-season, but I think having those strong results is going to be very helpful psychologically going forward: Hopefully, we can grab some points off the Top 6 teams we play before the window closes, and really build confidence.

I'm not at all convinced about either Ward or Iversen but I think Iversen has much greater potential as he is still young for a keeper so I'd probably gamble on him. It's far from ideal going into a season with an unproven keeper, though. 

FWIW, however, I think Rodgers will select Ward if he is fit. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

In all honesty, I think we are a CB and RW away from contending for Top 7. I can't remember which journalist it was, but someone last week said they were in the camp, and was very impressed by the attitude of the squad for the season. I usually don't give much credence to pre-season, but I think having those strong results is going to be very helpful psychologically going forward: Hopefully, we can grab some points off the Top 6 teams we play before the window closes, and really build confidence.

Absolutely those are the 2 positions we must improve, but with no European competition and a horrid wage: turnover ratio, I think we just see the season through with Albrighton/Perez and Vesty/Cags unless good offers come in. Far from ideal, but we've only got ourselves to blame. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Can't actually believe it, more upsetting is the way he didn't seem that arsed yesterday.

It feels like we needed a year of him saying it was his last year, even though many predicted this.

I'm not so horrified we aren't replacing him as number 1 but I'm perplexed we think we need a 3rd choice keeper, don't get that at all. 

Let Iversen and Ward fight it out and Stolarczyk can stick around for a year whilst we figure out the pecking order. I still think at least 1 of Iversen and Ward go in the next 12 months too.

I would presume it would be so we can allow Storlarczyk out on loan and go through the same stages as we did with Iversen.

However if he’s going to sit in the U23’s then I completely agree.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

I'm not at all convinced about either Ward or Iversen but I think Iversen has much greater potential as he is still young for a keeper so I'd probably gamble on him. It's far from ideal going into a season with an unproven keeper, though. 

FWIW, however, I think Rodgers will select Ward if he is fit. 

FWIW, the noises coming out of the club are that Stolarczyk is a future first choice keeper. But not now. 

• Like 2

Ward is a perfectly capable goalkeeper.  Iverson looks a decent prospect as back up this season.  

I can see the Ward/Kasper swap working out how the Maguire/Cags did in the first season.  Everyone panicking because we didnt sign a replacement for Maguire but then realised we had a perfectly good one already.

• Like 4

The timing of this suggests , to an old cynic like me , that Schmeichal wanted to put as much pressure on the club as he could to get that extension on his current pay. They have called his bluff and said "as much as we love you Kasper , we are not going to do that " So its make your mind up time , a reduced salary or disruption to your family and supposedly comfortable obscurity. The ball is in Kasper's court.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

In all honesty, I think we are a CB and RW away from contending for Top 7. 

I agree.  Add Van Dijk and Salah to this squad and top 7 would be realistic.

10 minutes ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

I reckon Ward or Iversen will be alright, but it’ll be a noticeable difference to not having Kasper within the sticks. We’ve properly taken him for granted. 

Just hope our fans can get behind whoever steps up. 

I think you are absolutely spot on 

The difference will be huge as he not only is a great keeper (crosses apart), starts our moves with good feet, leads by example and a voice at the back but also a true winner - the qualities he has I believe will be impossible to replace - if you look at successful sides it starts with a great keeper similarly more often poor sides have  average keepers - I think this is a position that now becomes a weakness for us and no disrespect to Ward or Iversen but whoever followed was going to have a momentous challenge !

like replacing Vardy this is a huge huge challenge - a sad day and actually a mistake imo I would have given him at least a two year deal but the season ahead could be our most challenging since we returned to the top flight!!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, l444ry said:

No worse than Benfica's reserve keeper

Reserve keeper?

Think you’ll find Vlachodimos started 32 league games last season, plus every single game of their Champions League campaign.

5 hours ago, daddylonglegs said:

Don't know if this has been posted already, apologies if it has!

What's he on about - "changing in portacabins and driving to a cricket club to train"?

Is that when Vichai had Belvoir Drive renovated? Otherwise, aside from the odd bit of pre-season at Loughborough Uni for their sport science set-up, we only trained at Belvoir Drive pre-Seagrave when in the UK didn't we?

N.B What a keeper he has been for us!

• Like 2

Just now, Incognito said:

What's he on about - "changing in portacabins and driving to a cricket club to train"?

Is that when Vichai had Belvoir Drive renovated? Otherwise, aside from the odd bit of pre-season at Loughborough Uni for their sport science set-up, we only trained at Belvoir Drive pre-Seagrave when in the UK didn't we?

I thought that was odd too. Bit disrespectful to Belvoir drive, unless it was in regard to a small break that I can’t remember.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
Just now, westernpark said:

I thought that was odd too. Bit disrespectful to Belvoir drive, unless it was in regard to a small break that I can’t remember.

Never let the facts get in the way of a good story. 

Just now, Incognito said:

2 minutes ago, westernpark said:

Sven's first pre season (2011) I'm sure we began training at the Recreation Ground in Stoughton whilst we had work done at Belvior Drive 

• Like 2