Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfcsnow

Other clubs transfer news

13 hours ago, EastAnglianFox said:

Well said :appl:easy to forget how young he was when he went to Madrid with his Mrs and new born kid.

Over 100 caps for his country and was not far off 50 goals scored for a bang average Spurs side at that time.

Definitely a player that for whatever reason has never got the respect he deserves.

I don't think we can blame him for maximising his income over the years, and he's certainly been a classy player. But there will always be the feeling that he eased up in regards to club football, He was meant to be the next best player once Messi and Ronaldo were over the hill, but it didn't turn out that way. Of course we don't know the full back story, and whether injury issues meant he could never reach those heights. In a sense he's the exact opposite to Vardy, who's battled away and remained loyal to his club. 

Guest Col city fan

Have to agree with the poster above about Bale. He’s essentially given up football at any real competitive level and he’s still only 32 I think?

It shows a real lack of wanting to play anymore and going for the lifestyle that LA brings with it. 
If that’s his decision then it’s up to him. 
Peak Bale was a phenomenal footballer but something in him made him ‘give up’ essentially too early imo.

But as I said, I ain’t him.

4 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Have to agree with the poster above about Bale. He’s essentially given up football at any real competitive level and he’s still only 32 I think?

It shows a real lack of wanting to play anymore and going for the lifestyle that LA brings with it. 
Peak Bale was a phenomenal footballer but something in him made him ‘give up’ essentially too early imo.

Agreed.

Although am sure there's a few good golf courses around there that may have tempted him to move?..:whistle:

4 hours ago, Col city fan said:

I think he’s only gone America as that’s where he will live when he retires which will be after the World Cup, play at that and he retires I think. 

Guest Col city fan
1 hour ago, Lesta2014 said:

I think he’s only gone America as that’s where he will live when he retires which will be after the World Cup, play at that and he retires I think. 

Was having this conversation earlier with my lad. 
There are very few elite sportsmen/women who go on and on for the love of their sport.

Some names spring to mind… Federer in tennis, Ronaldo in football, Phil Taylor, Rocket Ronnie….

There is something in-built with these guys that just push them to keep going. It’s not money, it’s possibly a fear of having to finish being so good at what they do?
They become legends of their sport.

In football, the top players are paid such obscene wages (and I think that term is valid… it’s an obscene amount of money), that if their primary ‘driver’ is financial, it becomes a clear disincentive. 
Bale fits into this mould I think. He seemed content to sit on 500k per week at Real Madrid, having achieved everything there that he’d ever wanted to. To become less fit, not focus as much on his weight and to become a ‘bit part’ player. To be fair though, this was seemingly fueled by him not being respected anymore by Zidane. 
Bale doesn’t seem to have this drive to remain at the top. And he’s now chosen to go to the MLS, similar to many British players before him, at the same stage of their career. But with Bale, this lack of long-term desire seemed to happen at a younger age than with Lampard, Gerrard, Ibra etc..

It must be a character issue, bound up in his personality. 
But my main point I think is the financial disincentive that puts off the majority of top sportsmen from wanting to keep going. With the likes of Cristiano, there’s something else involved. As I said, possibly the fear of not being ‘the best’ anymore. 
These characters deserve the biggest praise of all I think. Even Messi looks to have all-but finished at PSG. With Ronaldo he strives to be the best he can fit as long as he can. Bale doesn’t and hasn’t.

9 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Was having this conversation earlier with my lad. 
There are very few elite sportsmen/women who go on and on for the love of their sport.

Some names spring to mind… Federer in tennis, Ronaldo in football, Phil Taylor, Rocket Ronnie….

There is something in-built with these guys that just push them to keep going. It’s not money, it’s possibly a fear of having to finish being so good at what they do?
They become legends of their sport.

In football, the top players are paid such obscene wages (and I think that term is valid… it’s an obscene amount of money), that if their primary ‘driver’ is financial, it becomes a clear disincentive. 
Bale fits into this mould I think. He seemed content to sit on 500k per week at Real Madrid, having achieved everything there that he’d ever wanted to. To become less fit, not focus as much on his weight and to become a ‘bit part’ player. To be fair though, this was seemingly fueled by him not being respected anymore by Zidane. 
Bale doesn’t seem to have this drive to remain at the top. And he’s now chosen to go to the MLS, similar to many British players before him, at the same stage of their career. But with Bale, this lack of long-term desire seemed to happen at a younger age than with Lampard, Gerrard, Ibra etc..

It must be a character issue, bound up in his personality. 
But my main point I think is the financial disincentive that puts off the majority of top sportsmen from wanting to keep going. With the likes of Cristiano, there’s something else involved. As I said, possibly the fear of not being ‘the best’ anymore. 
These characters deserve the biggest praise of all I think. Even Messi looks to have all-but finished at PSG. With Ronaldo he strives to be the best he can fit as long as he can. Bale doesn’t and hasn’t.

Good summary.

Somebody said he has effectively retired apart from internationals for wales, but I'd say he pretty much did that years ago, and has made it clear he only gives a shit about playing for wales.

Fair play with the money, and obscene is the right word when people like demarai gray become multi millionaires having never really "made it".

Yes I know not many get to play in the premier league etc.etc, but the low bar for being obscenely rich is ridiculous.

I genuinely thought at some point with the money, that clubs could pay within their means but it just goes more and more to the players. The argument for the very best being the ones who people are paying to see is one argument (not for me as I pay to see my team) but years ago there was an article about pascal chimbonda dodging tax through image rights whilst playing for ****ing wigan.

Apologies, bit of a tangent but seemed to fit well here.

Guest Col city fan
27 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

:rolleyes:

Yeah OK, I'll bite. 

Guy is clearly well past his prime, has been struggling with injuries for years and his body is ready for retirement. 

His country hasn't qualified for a world cup since his dad was a kid, let alone his lifetime and he played a huge role in that - which has been his life's #1 dream. 

He wants to extend his career and give himself the best possible chance of being fit to play out there. 

On top of the fact he's quite openly spoke of his fondness for the West Coast and deserves a chance at enjoying a last stint playing, the MLS runs til mid/late October which is pretty much perfect for him to get a few games in to get some match sharpness back and build up his confidence in a playing environment on which he should be more than comfortable and then be fit for the WC. 

Probably pretty good acclimation for a WC in an extremely hot country, too. 

Seems pretty sensible all round tbh.

Oh & his many mates will be waiting for him when he gets back. 

_125283732_walesceleb.jpg

Only thing that's really pathetic is the weird English fans that have never gotten over the fact the best British player of his generation was Welsh and have been desperate for him to fail since he first went to Madrid. 

Sensible post until final paragraph.

Final paragraph sounds like chip on shoulder time imo.

From my perspective, prime Bale is one of the best players I’ve seen in my lifetime. Some of the goals he’s scored have been ridiculous. And that’s why I think it’s a shame he couldn’t (or wouldn’t) keep going. I’d have like to have seen more ‘prime Bale’. 

Just now, Lambert09 said:

sven botman going to newcastle hurts! They are going to be very good 

If the announcement video isn't something along the lines of...

'na na na na na na na na botmannnnn' then they shouldn't be allowed to sign him to be honest lol 

• Haha 4