Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfcsnow

Other clubs transfer news

Guest Col city fan

I just think we have a bang average squad.

I say again, look at last season when we had injuries to Fofana and Evans, Wilf and Vardy.

We woz rubbish and went on that long slide down the table before the main players returned and the form picked up.

Evans, we know, will get injured. And if we lose little Wes again, I think we have one of the worst CB pairings in the division.

It’s taking a big gamble again to not be strengthening the squad, though I admit it’s still (relatively) early.

I like how Gerrard has done it. Identified targets, got them, such that Villa can have a proper pre season with them.

2 minutes ago, SixtiesFox said:

I fear Rodgers was playing games with his announcement that a major squad refresh was needed. As others have pointed out, this provides him with an excuse if we start poorly after a transfer window with little movement. I also agree with those who suggest we already have a strong squad. We were good enough to finish 8th after a season with catastrophic injury problems and a heavy fixture schedule. For me a couple of key signings (right wing, defensive cover) and unloading some dead wood will be enough. The key will be if Rodgers can make more of the talent he has at his disposal. He needs to stop trying to put square pegs into round holes (Madders, Perez - played out wide -,Kels, Daka - deployed as lone strikers -), over playing certain players (Tielemans) and freezing out quality players like Mendy and Praet. He also needs to sort out our woeful record of defending set pieces and self destructive habit of throwing away leads late in games. For me the spotlight falls squarely on Rodgers himself as he will be key in determining how we perform this season. It's time for him to stop shooting his mouth off to manipulate the narrative and get his squad to do his talking with their on-field performances. 

Now this is a sensible post! 

37 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I say again, look at last season when we had injuries to Fofana and Evans, Wilf and Vardy.

We woz rubbish and went on that long slide down the table before the main players returned and the form picked up.

Evans, we know, will get injured. And if we lose little Wes again, I think we have one of the worst CB pairings in the division.

It’s taking a big gamble again to not be strengthening the squad, though I admit it’s still (relatively) early.

I like how Gerrard has done it. Identified targets, got them, such that Villa can have a proper pre season with them.

Evans and Vardy will both be injured at points during the season. Need the players to replace them not that you can replace Vardy. 

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

To be fair though, Evans, Fofana, Wilf and Vardy ate essentially the spine of the team... No side would manage well without the core of their team out.

Take out the best striker, two best CBs and arguably most important CM out of any side in this division and they would struggle. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

No, it's not. As @Scotchsaid, we were missing our spine of the team for most of the season. We did alright, all things considered. 

I'm utterly confused by that response. That's pretty much what the chap said.  We finished 8th with catastrophic injuries.  That's good.  The squad is pretty decent but does need some back up.  Rodgers does talk a lot of b@llocks, which is just my opinion, but then so do many managers in the modern era of spin.  But overall the post was eminently sensible and pretty balanced.

I understand you are a fan of Rodgers and more power to your elbow but come along let's not squabble on a Sunday evening.  

• Like 1

Genuinely think Jesus to Arsenal is a ridiculously underwhelming transfer for them. He's nowhere near as good as Auba was and I don't really think he's the calibre of finisher than Lacazette is when he's in the mood, either. Genuinely think he's a somewhat average player that's been carried by a Man City squad whose first eleven he's never been good enough for.

Arsenal fans might think it's a sign of progress, I just think it's them doing an Everton. This could well end up being my one big awful call for the season ahead, egg on the face Col style etc. But I really can't see him tearing it up there at all to be honest.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Genuinely think Jesus to Arsenal is a ridiculously underwhelming transfer for them. He's nowhere near as good as Auba was and I don't really think he's the calibre of finisher than Lacazette is when he's in the mood, either. Genuinely think he's a somewhat average player that's been carried by a Man City squad whose first eleven he's never been good enough for.

Arsenal fans might think it's a sign of progress, I just think it's them doing an Everton. This could well end up being my one big awful call for the season ahead, egg on the face Col style etc. But I really can't see him tearing it up there at all to be honest.

I think he’ll smash it to be honest. Has the attitude and work ethic that auba should have and will lift the mood of the whole team. Still a good age at 25 too. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Doing an Everton?

Arsenal will be nowhere near close to a relegation battle. Their signings this summer will once again improve the squad, whether that's enough for the top 4, i'm not convinced, as long as Conte remains at Spurs and Levy backs him, they will be up in the mix of 3rd/4th.

But to suggest they're going to be slugging it out at the bottom of the league, when they've improved upon a squad which got them fifth, is one of the craziest and most delusional things i've read on here.

They've also slashed their wage budget over the last 12 months too, whilst being more competitive.

Arteta has improved more players at Arsenal in the last 12 months, that Rodgers has his whole time here.

14 minutes ago, FoxyLeon said:

Doing an Everton?

Arsenal will be nowhere near close to a relegation battle. Their signings this summer will once again improve the squad, whether that's enough for the top 4, i'm not convinced, as long as Conte remains at Spurs and Levy backs him, they will be up in the mix of 3rd/4th.

But to suggest they're going to be slugging it out at the bottom of the league, when they've improved upon a squad which got them fifth, is one of the craziest and most delusional things i've read on here.

They've also slashed their wage budget over the last 12 months too, whilst being more competitive.

Arteta has improved more players at Arsenal in the last 12 months, that Rodgers has his whole time here.

Fyi "Doing an Everton" is an oft used phrase relating to big money moves for the wrong type of player, a la Delli Ali, Moise Kean etc, not doing everything Everton do all rolled into this one transfer.

But thanks for the Arsenal love, it made me wish I had that kind of confidence/optimism in my team as you clearly do with yours. 🤭

Edited by gw_leics772
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, FoxyLeon said:

Doing an Everton?

.......... I think you've significantly misunderstood what I meant by "Doing An Everton" and run absolutely wild with it. 

I simply mean paying 40-50 million for players from big clubs whose career trajectory is destined to head in the opposite direction. 

Our transfer philosophy is generally buying slightly untested, upwardly mobile players - usually from smaller clubs - who are somewhat unknown qualities and gambling that they'll progress under us and their value will rise (Ndidi, Kante, Mahrez, Tielemans, Ricardo, Soyuncu, Fofana, Justin, Vardy, etc.) 

Everton's philosophy over the same period has been to do the opposite. They buy what they think are established qualities for large sums of money and on high wages but what they're essentially doing is buying rejects from the top clubs whose careers are trending in the opposite direction. Not only are they buying players who have been found to be not really good enough (or are past their prime) at the highest level, they're also spending good money on players that they'll never recoop because their value will only depreciate from that point on. 

What I'm saying is that I see Jesus to Arsenal as being more the latter than the former. I think he's a fairly skillful, hard working, decent top flight player but he's nowhere near the quality Arsenal want to be leading their lines. I'm making an early prediction (which I fully just admitted could come back to make me look stupid in nine months time) that it'll be an underwhelming move and given the chance to play week in, week out in a team that doesn't have Man City's quality behind him, he'll be found out. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I think it's an interesting one, reminds me a little bit of the Nacho transfer in a way.

We got excited about a player who look great in cameos for Man City but ultimately he was made to look better by playing in a team of stars.

Think he's a decent player, but not a natural number 9, I'd argue he makes them stronger, as they were losing Auda and Lacazette anyway,

57 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

I think Arsenal have actually recruited really well. They’ve had a recent track record of signing pre-Madonna’s and it’s horribly backfired. They will do well this season. 

Prefer the post-Madonna's myself

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Who hasn't signed anyone now then?

Us and Wolves?

Us and Chelsea whose finances have been curtailed for obvious reasons.

Make no mistake, this isn't a positive off-season and with pre-season starting at the weekend it's concerning me.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

.......... I think you've significantly misunderstood what I meant by "Doing An Everton" and run absolutely wild with it. 

I simply mean paying 40-50 million for players from big clubs whose career trajectory is destined to head in the opposite direction. 

Our transfer philosophy is generally buying slightly untested, upwardly mobile players - usually from smaller clubs - who are somewhat unknown qualities and gambling that they'll progress under us and their value will rise (Ndidi, Kante, Mahrez, Tielemans, Ricardo, Soyuncu, Fofana, Justin, Vardy, etc.) 

Everton's philosophy over the same period has been to do the opposite. They buy what they think are established qualities for large sums of money and on high wages but what they're essentially doing is buying rejects from the top clubs whose careers are trending in the opposite direction. Not only are they buying players who have been found to be not really good enough (or are past their prime) at the highest level, they're also spending good money on players that they'll never recoop because their value will only depreciate from that point on. 

What I'm saying is that I see Jesus to Arsenal as being more the latter than the former. I think he's a fairly skillful, hard working, decent top flight player but he's nowhere near the quality Arsenal want to be leading their lines. I'm making an early prediction (which I fully just admitted could come back to make me look stupid in nine months time) that it'll be an underwhelming move and given the chance to play week in, week out in a team that doesn't have Man City's quality behind him, he'll be found out. 

This would make sense if Jesus was genuinely found out at Manchester City and wasnt in their starting XI for the Champions League Semi Final. 

The reason man city are selling him isn't because he's not good enough, it's because they've just had the opportunity to sign a generational talent in his position. Jesus may end up flopping as his finishing is pretty poor but it's hardly an Everton signing considering he's recently put in good performances at the highest level of football.

• Like 2