Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Non League Football - 2022/23

3 hours ago, filbertway said:

I think charm and character are something that develop at a club over a long period of time. The Coalville Town Football club is still a relative baby but the people that volunteer there help the club improve season after season. Local council voted to withdraw £20k a year funding which usually goes to supporting community projects, so hopefully they are able to continue.

As a ground hopper you probably won't take much from the ground compared to others, but much like most other non league clubs. The community spirit and desire to improve is fantastic.

That's the key point. The club has been around for less than 30 years, and the ground was council owned, so is always going to lack the tradition and charm of some grounds.

I read the motion to withdraw the £20k subsidy was defeated.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Christ IMO £10 is a mental price for essentially park football. I think it's around £5 at Jersey Bulls with kids a quid or free. They get around 500/600 at each game, granted there's no competition! If you're paying £10 for a park match, then £30/40 for the highest level of football in the world which is probably what the PL is, is a bargain.

Park football is harsh, the lads at southern league level aren't that bad. I mean your only two promotions away from playing in the national league playing likes of Notts County, Wrexham, Halifax, Scunthorpe etc. If you think of it then £30 or £40 you pay is going towards an already over paid premier league player whole earning 100k a week. While non league your paying a tenner to keep the club running. You also forget Jamie Vardy once played this level, in fact two years before he signed for the foxes he was playing for Stocksbridge Park Steels.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gary Eatfood said:

That's the key point. The club has been around for less than 30 years, and the ground was council owned, so is always going to lack the tradition and charm of some grounds.

I read the motion to withdraw the £20k subsidy was defeated.

It’s an interesting point with Leicestershire clubs, Coalville (as it is now) has been around under 30 years, Barwell was founded ‘92, Hinckley United was started after I was born and folded when I was 16…

That’s more or less your biggest clubs after City in Leicestershire. Loughborough’s teams have probably been somewhat hamstrung by the Uni team, Haborough are only just looking to push up the leagues a bit and Shepshed have always bounced around step 4 and 5. Aylestone have some money behind them now but how far that will take them remains to be seen. 

The point is, perhaps an answer for the issue @CosbehFox pointed out, is that Leics. clubs of any stature are either extinct or have come into their position fairly recently. Barwell for the last few years have probably been out-budgeted and that will likely only continue, without a significant change in circumstance they’re likely to drop with only clever management & player recruitment fending it off. Whereas Coalville, as you pointed out, have only really come to challenge in recent years and an increase in non-league attendance even more recently. 

I’m hoping Coalville go up and stay up, and Harborough and perhaps Shepshed can reach step 3 and begin to build a decent support base up. Of course more than anything that Hinckley can finally get out step 6, but it sometimes feels we’re still a way off…

53 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

Alvechurch chairman declares Coalville for the league as does Peterborough Sports chair 

I remember when we blew a huge lead to Kings Lynn lol

Assuming we can keep injuries to a minimum, we really do have a good chance.

Weve managed to cut out conceding a lot of sloppy goals since Christmas which is what has hampered us in the past. Moving to a midfield 3 has been huge. Obviously with the talent upfront in Gooch, Timmy and Chambo with Tendai and Shaw chipping in, were good for goals.

5 hours ago, filbertway said:

I remember when we blew a huge lead to Kings Lynn lol

Assuming we can keep injuries to a minimum, we really do have a good chance.

Weve managed to cut out conceding a lot of sloppy goals since Christmas which is what has hampered us in the past. Moving to a midfield 3 has been huge. Obviously with the talent upfront in Gooch, Timmy and Chambo with Tendai and Shaw chipping in, were good for goals.

But I'd still like to see us sign Beck-Ray Enoru from Barwell. That lad looks like a real prospect and he's lighting quick.

7 hours ago, Finnaldo said:

It’s an interesting point with Leicestershire clubs, Coalville (as it is now) has been around under 30 years, Barwell was founded ‘92, Hinckley United was started after I was born and folded when I was 16…

That’s more or less your biggest clubs after City in Leicestershire. Loughborough’s teams have probably been somewhat hamstrung by the Uni team, Haborough are only just looking to push up the leagues a bit and Shepshed have always bounced around step 4 and 5. Aylestone have some money behind them now but how far that will take them remains to be seen. 

The point is, perhaps an answer for the issue @CosbehFox pointed out, is that Leics. clubs of any stature are either extinct or have come into their position fairly recently. Barwell for the last few years have probably been out-budgeted and that will likely only continue, without a significant change in circumstance they’re likely to drop with only clever management & player recruitment fending it off. Whereas Coalville, as you pointed out, have only really come to challenge in recent years and an increase in non-league attendance even more recently. 

I’m hoping Coalville go up and stay up, and Harborough and perhaps Shepshed can reach step 3 and begin to build a decent support base up. Of course more than anything that Hinckley can finally get out step 6, but it sometimes feels we’re still a way off…

'I’m hoping Coalville go up and stay up' - I'm hoping this too. The only established non-league clubs when I was a kid were Leicester United, Hinckley United and Oadby Town - two of which no longer exist, and Oadby lives on in a very different form.

1 hour ago, Gary Eatfood said:

'I’m hoping Coalville go up and stay up' - I'm hoping this too. The only established non-league clubs when I was a kid were Leicester United, Hinckley United and Oadby Town - two of which no longer exist, and Oadby lives on in a very different form.

Very true - the county badly needs it. 

Think Harborough are onto a good thing too. 

Shepshed Charterhouse had a a few great years, semi final of the Vase, southern league premier was i think step 2 back then?  I have some fond memories as a kid going to a few games back then including one as a mascot against leicester city.

Edited by purpleronnie

2 hours ago, Gary Eatfood said:

I remember my Dad taking me to two of their pre-season friendlies in summer 1992.

I was only 6 and seeing them play against Grimsby Town & West Bromwich Albion felt massive!

5 hours ago, purpleronnie said:

Shepshed Charterhouse had a a few great years, semi final of the Vase, southern league premier was i think step 2 back then?  I have some fond memories as a kid going to a few games back then including one as a ball boy against leicester city.

Both Charterhouse and Enderby Town reached the 1st round proper of the FA Cup within a few years of each other, and both played in the old Southern League.

Edited by Gary Eatfood
  • Thanks 1

Guest Col city fan

Can’t believe anyone knocking Coalville for charging a tenner to watch them. 
A tenner these days…. 
How on earth are clubs like this going to survive if you expect them to charge any less than ten quid to get in?

I think a tenner’s really good value in the current climate personally 

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

A tenner these days…. 
How on earth are clubs like this going to survive if you expect them to charge any less than ten quid to get in?

I know its same people that would willing to pay £50 to watch us play Fulham. 

Edited by Leicesterpool

3 hours ago, Col city fan said:

A tenner these days…. 

It's cheaper than most clubs in the same league

13 hours ago, Gary Eatfood said:

Both Charterhouse and Enderby Town reached the 1st round proper of the FA Cup within a few years of each other, and both played in the old Southern League.

I think i might have gone to see the final qualifying game against Kings Lynn...but not sure.  I didn't know that Enderby Town reached the 1st round.

49 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Cue the return of his godawful videos from in the goal. 

If he plays at all which I don't think it certain.

But there will probably be a few videos particularly if Wrexham get promoted and will no doubt try to get the owners in on the act.

4 hours ago, Super_horns said:

If he plays at all which I don't think it certain.

But there will probably be a few videos particularly if Wrexham get promoted and will no doubt try to get the owners in on the act.

There's no way they'll pay him big wages and have a "name" sitting on the bench.