Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Non League Football - 2022/23

Coalville made hard work of beating a poor Barwell side. Need to sort out the defensive side, especially set pieces. I think Stevo is a bit too loyal to certain players.

Anyone see what happened at the end with Stevo ?

Edited by Lcfc82

1 hour ago, Lcfc82 said:

Coalville made hard work of beating a poor Barwell side. Need to sort out the defensive side, especially set pieces. I think Stevo is a bit too loyal to certain players.

At this point I'm happy for us to go 3-4-3 from the start at home and just try and outscore the opposition.

Today's win was a big 3 points, but we need to follow it up with 3 more at Basford.

The Barwell GK impressed me. He made one great save from Timmy late on. Enoru on the RW also had a very lively game.

13 minutes ago, Gary Eatfood said:

At this point I'm happy for us to go 3-4-3 from the start at home and just try and outscore the opposition.

Today's win was a big 3 points, but we need to follow it up with 3 more at Basford.

The Barwell GK impressed me. He made one great save from Timmy late on. Enoru on the RW also had a very lively game.

I wouldn’t against Tamworth but it’s definitely worth trying against these sides that just come and defend.

Yeah 3 points at Basford is a must 

6 hours ago, Lcfc82 said:

I think their manager refused to shake Stevo’s hand for some reason

Edited by leicesterisme
  • Thanks 1

I went to Grantham Town v Lincoln United yesterday, 3-3 draw with Grantham grabbing 2 goals in injury time to nick the point.

Still far from acceptable - only 3 wins in the league all season - but it's a start!

And 3 goals!

Edited by Tuna

Guest Col city fan
6 hours ago, Lcfc82 said:

Did he get sent off at the end? I heard he did?

I thought Coalville were much the better side second half. I like the look of the number 6. Is it George somebody..? 

9 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Did he get sent off at the end? I heard he did?

I thought Coalville were much the better side second half. I like the look of the number 6. Is it George somebody..? 

I just saw a bit of a melee as I was walking out and Stevo was being dragged away.
Another touchline ban for him then, not sure why he wouldn’t shake hands as it wasn’t that type of game. 

I thought Coalville were far better for the 90 minutes but kept letting Barwell back in with there poor set piece defending.

George Wilson was the number 6 he’s joined this season, decent player.

18 hours ago, Lcfc82 said:

‘Poor’ is a bit harsh on Barwell this season, they’ve been crap in seasons gone but Ian King has gave them some proper direction and after a bad start where they just couldn’t get the results they’ve now claimed some good scalps this season: Ilkeston, Redditch and Nuneaton mostly recently. I wasn’t there yesterday but it’s a good result for Coalville even if it doesn’t look like it purely on paper.

1 hour ago, CosbehFox said:

AFC Hinckley up to third now. Bit of a distance from the top two though. 

MFL Div 1 - as mentioned Hinckley doing pretty well in tough circumstances. Ingles as well battling hard towards bottom. 

It’s come together more recently since Belford came back as assistant, and we started the season with half a team of no-hopers, but losses to Smethwick and Shawbury really cost us the thin chance of threatening for the title. Granted Ashby end up winning, then 7 January against Dudley is the acid test. Last year we were hoping to avoid Belper & Radford in the play offs as we just didn’t have the tools to beat them. Dependent on the Dudley game, we could be going in with the ability (and having beaten) any team in the play offs. 

I definitely think being in a tougher league benefitted us, we got too soft and arrogant last year and half the games weren’t even competitive. We look a lot more on it this season, but we could still do with a couple additions here and there I reckon.

1 hour ago, CosbehFox said:

South Mids - the oddity of Lutterworth Athletic being lumped into a division with teams from MK, Luton and north London. They’ve had problems with getting their pitch converted to 4G. So they been playing at all different venues - they are 11th and probably hoping to put back playing teams closer to the midlands

Wisbech in the UCL instead of eastern counties was another strange one.

Just now, Tuna said:

Wisbech in the UCL instead of eastern counties was another strange one.

Latest projections have a bit of shake up for next season - midlands league potentially having teams in from Cheshire. Might be good for Leics clubs as they could all end up in the same division 

2 hours ago, Lako42 said:

The defending of corners / free kicks is a real problem at the minute. 

The defending of any balls into the box has been a problem for at least 5 years lol

We had a lad called Jack Duggan who was an absolute colossus in the air, but he played about 5 games, went on a trip to America and we never saw him again.

The forward line can play a level above, the majority of the defence and keeper should be playing a level below. The only solution is to replace them with better players. Annoyingly the cup run didn't make half as much as we'd have liked. No UK TV appearances and fairly low attendances for the Notts County and Charlton games.

3 4 3 at home is the way forwards I think, if we can't defend then we may as well just try and outscore the opposition every game.

1 hour ago, Finnaldo said:

‘Poor’ is a bit harsh on Barwell this season, they’ve been crap in seasons gone but Ian King has gave them some proper direction and after a bad start where they just couldn’t get the results they’ve now claimed some good scalps this season: Ilkeston, Redditch and Nuneaton mostly recently. I wasn’t there yesterday but it’s a good result for Coalville even if it doesn’t look like it purely on paper.

It’s come together more recently since Belford came back as assistant, and we started the season with half a team of no-hopers, but losses to Smethwick and Shawbury really cost us the thin chance of threatening for the title. Granted Ashby end up winning, then 7 January against Dudley is the acid test. Last year we were hoping to avoid Belper & Radford in the play offs as we just didn’t have the tools to beat them. Dependent on the Dudley game, we could be going in with the ability (and having beaten) any team in the play offs. 

I definitely think being in a tougher league benefitted us, we got too soft and arrogant last year and half the games weren’t even competitive. We look a lot more on it this season, but we could still do with a couple additions here and there I reckon.

To be fair that’s the only time I have seen Barwell this season, so I can only go on that. I didn’t think they offered anything at all from open play.

7 hours ago, Finnaldo said:

Yeah I have saw Barwell a couple of times before yesterday and they are so much better than they have been in previous seasons even if their points & league table dosen’t really show it at the moment, they play with miles more ambition than in recent seasons & are actually a pretty decent watch now.

Think that ambition went out of the window yesterday with their gameplan but that’s the case with most teams that come to Coalville as if you play expansive football you will usually come away with a heavy defeat. 

• Like 1

Guest Col city fan
12 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

AFC Hinckley up to third now. Bit of a distance from the top two though. 

Not been a bad season from the county’s non league teams. 

Step 3 - Coalville 5th, gone have to be some effort to get top spot. Leiston look the stand outs for me at the moment. Barwell four clear of relegation with games in hand. 

Step 4 - Harborough and Loughborough are 7th and 8th. If they get a run together, playoffs are achievable. Hinckley LRFC could be a problem though four points above relegation but if rumours are to believed, the lack of support is beginning to hurt them with the additional finances needed to compete at Step 4 (I’m not particularly losing sleep over that). Shepshed 11th. 

Step 5 - Leicestershire dominates the UCL North. Loughborough Uni, Melton, Quorn and Anstey Nomads are the top four. Nomads have five games in hand and they are 14 behind. If L’boro Uni win the league, 2nd are promoted. Nirvana still battling away whilst Heather look a certainty for relegation, 1 win in 19. 

UCL South - Oadby middle of the pack; question their direction as they have real ground problems at the moment. Lutterworth Tn two from bottom are in a scrap to stay up. 

Step 6 - UCL Div 1 - Aylestone Park with the dollar running away with it. Birstall Utd impressively in the playoffs. Other Leics teams mid table except St Andrew’s’ with their regular relegation battle. 

MFL Div 1 - as mentioned Hinckley doing pretty well in tough circumstances. Ingles as well battling hard towards bottom. 

South Mids - the oddity of Lutterworth Athletic being lumped into a division with teams from MK, Luton and north London. They’ve had problems with getting their pitch converted to 4G. So they been playing at all different venues - they are 11th and probably hoping to put back playing teams closer to the midlands

Coalville have about 5 matches in hand though don’t they? Due to the FA cup run 

We've not managed to put together any kind of good run of wins this season either, so games in hand count for very little. We can make playing bottom of the league look like a chore, yet equally we can go and beat any side by 3 or 4 and make it look comfortable lol

At this point I'd happily see us go out to Banbury. Our squad is thin enough as it is without needing to play 3 games a week towards the back end of the season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, filbertway said:

We've not managed to put together any kind of good run of wins this season either, so games in hand count for very little. We can make playing bottom of the league look like a chore, yet equally we can go and beat any side by 3 or 4 and make it look comfortable lol

At this point I'd happily see us go out to Banbury. Our squad is thin enough as it is without needing to play 3 games a week towards the back end of the season.

As good and enjoyable as the cup runs have been they have been detrimental to the league campaign 

2 hours ago, Lcfc82 said:

As good and enjoyable as the cup runs have been they have been detrimental to the league campaign 

Nature of the beast in non league.

Saving grace is that the playing budget should be much more next season without hurting yourself long term (or you get to invest it into something more tangible). 

17 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

4 in hand but 13 behind top. Leiston have 2 in hand but are 4 behind. 

All comes down to if Tamworth can keep hold of Dan Creeney, he's currently on 21 goals! interestingly when he was away injured, Tamworth's form dipped. Sign of a team relying too much on one player, at one point they had ten point lead at the top which as been reduced to 3, due to that poor run. Heard there's a lot interest from the higher leagues, a guy I know who works at Tamworth. Says the King's Lynn manager and coaching team have been coming down quite a few times, reckon they come to see him play. So potential interest from their. It's said Tamworth have put a 40k price tag on him.  

3 hours ago, Leicesterpool said:

All comes down to if Tamworth can keep hold of Dan Creeney, he's currently on 21 goals! interestingly when he was away injured, Tamworth's form dipped. Sign of a team relying too much on one player, at one point they had ten point lead at the top which as been reduced to 3, due to that poor run. Heard there's a lot interest from the higher leagues, a guy I know who works at Tamworth. Says the King's Lynn manager and coaching team have been coming down quite a few times, reckon they come to see him play. So potential interest from their. It's said Tamworth have put a 40k price tag on him.  

Interesting. Always thought Creaney lacks the application to play higher up the pyramid