Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Non League Football - 2022/23

10 hours ago, filbertway said:

Couldn't have got my prediction more wrong lol

Horrific end to the season that needs addressing rather than blowing over. What a wasted opportunity.

Hope Rushall win the final, very solid team.

Definitely needs addressing, think a change in the dugout is needed personally. We’ve got the strongest 11 in the league absolute travesty we haven’t been promoted.

I was worried for us coming into the playoffs, knew at half time that we were in trouble last night. We take to long to react when things aren’t going well.

10 hours ago, Gary Eatfood said:

I can't see Rushall or Nuneaton gracing the NLN with much quality.

What an absolute waste of a golden opportunity to get promotion for Coalville.

We were like rabbits in headlights for most of tonight. Little drive and virtually no penetration in forward areas. I didn't even think Rushall were particularly good, they just did the basics well.

Oh well, back to another season in the SLPC. Maybe next year we can finish 5th and win the play-offs.

Yeah definitely. Nuneaton or Rushall being promoted is proof that you won’t get a better opportunity than this.

Agree about Rushall as well, didn’t have to do anything special at all.

26 minutes ago, Lcfc82 said:

Yeah definitely. Nuneaton or Rushall being promoted is proof that you won’t get a better opportunity than this.

Agree about Rushall as well, didn’t have to do anything special at all.

Are Coalville likely to have a good go again next season? Not sure on their finances, player contracts etc etc.

4 minutes ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

Are Coalville likely to have a good go again next season? Not sure on their finances, player contracts etc etc.

I think the league will be harder next season. Telford, Leamington and possibly Kettering coming down, not sure who is getting promoted.

No idea about finances, but a few of the players are under contract for next season though. Wouldn’t be surprised if some want to have a go at a higher level though. 

1 hour ago, Lcfc82 said:

Definitely needs addressing, think a change in the dugout is needed personally. We’ve got the strongest 11 in the league absolute travesty we haven’t been promoted.

I was worried for us coming into the playoffs, knew at half time that we were in trouble last night. We take to long to react when things aren’t going well.

I'm not sure what it is. We've had 2 brilliant cup runs and smashed last seasons target by a good amount of points. There just seems to be a mental block under Stevo, as soon as there's something to lose, we seem to crumble. As soon as the pressure was off and we were effectively chasing again, we won 2 games fairly comfortably.

Unless it's a genuine improvement on him (which I can't see us being able to attract) then I'd be very disappointed to see him go. He's the reason we play the great football we do. I really don't want to go back to watching a team spend all season smacking the ball up to a big man and trying to win games 1-0. 

I'd love him to come out the end of this season, take stock and look to learn from it, if he could just nail the last 10% of the season we'd probably lose him to higher level tbh.

It's easy to lose sight of how good we have been this season with how it ended and a lot of that, Stevo has to take credit for.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I'm not sure what it is. We've had 2 brilliant cup runs and smashed last seasons target by a good amount of points. There just seems to be a mental block under Stevo, as soon as there's something to lose, we seem to crumble. As soon as the pressure was off and we were effectively chasing again, we won 2 games fairly comfortably.

Unless it's a genuine improvement on him (which I can't see us being able to attract) then I'd be very disappointed to see him go. He's the reason we play the great football we do. I really don't want to go back to watching a team spend all season smacking the ball up to a big man and trying to win games 1-0. 

I'd love him to come out the end of this season, take stock and look to learn from it, if he could just nail the last 10% of the season we'd probably lose him to higher level tbh.

It's easy to lose sight of how good we have been this season with how it ended and a lot of that, Stevo has to take credit for.

I agree there are a lot of positives about him but I can’t see him getting them promoted.

I’m not sure what sort of money we pay / who we could attract either but I know Michael Doyle lives pretty locally and think is still out of work. I’d be looking at someone like that if we could attract them.

Stevo seems quite stubborn to me so I can’t see anything being any different under him next season.

44 minutes ago, Lcfc82 said:

I agree there are a lot of positives about him but I can’t see him getting them promoted.

I’m not sure what sort of money we pay / who we could attract either but I know Michael Doyle lives pretty locally and think is still out of work. I’d be looking at someone like that if we could attract them.

Stevo seems quite stubborn to me so I can’t see anything being any different under him next season.

Possibly not, he's punching above a few teams with much better resources, the grass does look greener sometimes, but I've seen us have some horrendous managers that have taken us massively backwards before.

We've only ever really improved under Stevo, will certainly be interesting to see if can hit a similar total in the league.

I've got faith we'll be back and stronger again next season.

Already looking forward to Telford away, looks a proper tidy stadium!

47 minutes ago, Rain King said:

Whatever happened to Billy Kee? He still on the books?

Yeah he's been on the books this season. I imagine he'll either call it a day or drop down a few tiers in the summer. We need to be replacing him with someone that will be able to consistently contribute goals/assists.

• Like 2

Stevo does not make changes anywhere near quick enough. He's also flogged certain players to the point of exhaustion, JDC in particular has looked like an absolute passenger over recent weeks. 

Leaving it that late to bring Tendai on was criminal considering the fact we were lumping it. 

Also this obsession with swapping the wingers is not as smart as he thinks it is. Last night Alex and Gooch were just starting to turn the game with some great work down the right and he ****ing switched Shaw over and killed it. 

1 hour ago, filbertway said:

Possibly not, he's punching above a few teams with much better resources, the grass does look greener sometimes, but I've seen us have some horrendous managers that have taken us massively backwards before.

We've only ever really improved under Stevo, will certainly be interesting to see if can hit a similar total in the league.

I've got faith we'll be back and stronger again next season.

I think if we put full focus on the league we might be alright but we always seem to go for it in the cups as well. With a small squad it takes it’s toll.

Having said that the Notts County game was a fantastic day, it’s a tough one.

2 hours ago, Lako42 said:

Stevo does not make changes anywhere near quick enough. He's also flogged certain players to the point of exhaustion, JDC in particular has looked like an absolute passenger over recent weeks. 

Leaving it that late to bring Tendai on was criminal considering the fact we were lumping it. 

Also this obsession with swapping the wingers is not as smart as he thinks it is. Last night Alex and Gooch were just starting to turn the game with some great work down the right and he ****ing switched Shaw over and killed it. 

The unwillingness to work with a slightly larger squad has cost us over the past two seasons. I think the mental exhaustion was as evident as the physical. We looked completely deflated after Rushall scored last night.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lcfc82 said:

I think if we put full focus on the league we might be alright but we always seem to go for it in the cups as well. With a small squad it takes it’s toll.

Always going to be the case that cups are a big focus in non-league with the prize money on offer and potential tv money should you progress far enough, it would be a really tough decision to sack off the cups. 

4 minutes ago, leicesterisme said:

Always going to be the case that cups are a big focus in non-league with the prize money on offer and potential tv money should you progress far enough, it would be a really tough decision to sack off the cups. 

I get the FA cup in that respect but not the trophy as well. As I said, with running a small squad like we do it comes back to bite us later in the season. 
As others have said the manager is very reluctant to change the team up as well, certain players end up playing pretty much every game.

4 hours ago, filbertway said:

It is. Just a shame it’s got naff all around it. Leamington is tidy too but even more remote.

Sudbury’s a really nice town and got a good clubhouse. Stamford another good day out. Projected Berkhamsted will be in. That’s a really nice town too but never been the ground there 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lcfc82 said:

I get the FA cup in that respect but not the trophy as well. As I said, with running a small squad like we do it comes back to bite us later in the season. 
As others have said the manager is very reluctant to change the team up as well, certain players end up playing pretty much every game.

It was really dumb going strong in the Trophy for me. We should have sent a dev squad to Dunston. Cost us so many rest days.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lcfc82 said:

The cups don't tend to affect us that much as we usually bowl out fairly early :D

Also I'd definitely be on the phone to Huth at Leicester and asking if they want to send any of the 17-19s that won't break through this season but want to give them experience. Likely not have to pay any wages and you can likely get 2/3 extra players in your squad who should be good enough to start for a team at the top end of this division.

It's an interesting summer coming up that's for sure.

It's taken all day but I think I'm finally ready to let go of this season, enjoy the break and look forward to next season now

• Like 3

12 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

It is. Just a shame it’s got naff all around it. Leamington is tidy too but even more remote.

Sudbury’s a really nice town and got a good clubhouse. Stamford another good day out. Projected Berkhamsted will be in. That’s a really nice town too but never been the ground there 

Any of the promoted sides likely to be threatening at the top end of the division from what you know ?

14 hours ago, Lcfc82 said:

Any of the promoted sides likely to be threatening at the top end of the division from what you know ?

I expect Stamford to be decent. For one, it's where we got Tendai from, and secondly, the NPLM is a very tough league. Halesowen could also be a threat.

Berkhamsted won their league at a canter, so could be half-decent, but then again Bedford won that league by 10 points. That said, if Bedford hadn't sacked Gary Setchell they might have made a better fist of staying in the league.

Sudbury, if they come up, we've played this season. They have a trio of very good players - Nnamdi Nwachuku, with 49 goals in all comps., Sakariya Hassan, who's a very skilful winger and Josh Stokes, who's been attracting attention from all manner of clubs.

Whatever happens with the promoted/relegated teams I expect Leiston, Mickleover, Ilkeston, whoever doesn't win the play-offs, and then possibly Stratford or even Barwell to be a threat next season.

With Barwell, it depends on them keeping Beck-Ray Enoru and strengthening in the summer.

As for Coalville, I expect we'll lose some players - probably Billy Kee and certainly Jake Eggleton. The rest is still quite uncertain, but I hope we keep the core of the squad and add some quality where needed. It will be another interesting season in the SCPL.

Might even include P'boro Sports if they don't finish their ground upgrade by Sunday.  

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Gary Eatfood said:

I expect Stamford to be decent. For one, it's where we got Tendai from, and secondly, the NPLM is a very tough league. Halesowen could also be a threat.

Berkhamsted won their league at a canter, so could be half-decent, but then again Bedford won that league by 10 points. That said, if Bedford hadn't sacked Gary Setchell they might have made a better fist of staying in the league.

Sudbury, if they come up, we've played this season. They have a trio of very good players - Nnamdi Nwachuku, with 49 goals in all comps., Sakariya Hassan, who's a very skilful winger and Josh Stokes, who's been attracting attention from all manner of clubs.

Whatever happens with the promoted/relegated teams I expect Leiston, Mickleover, Ilkeston, whoever doesn't win the play-offs, and then possibly Stratford or even Barwell to be a threat next season.

With Barwell, it depends on them keeping Beck-Ray Enoru and strengthening in the summer.

As for Coalville, I expect we'll lose some players - probably Billy Kee and certainly Jake Eggleton. The rest is still quite uncertain, but I hope we keep the core of the squad and add some quality where needed. It will be another interesting season in the SCPL.

Might even include P'boro Sports if they don't finish their ground upgrade by Sunday.  

We need to keep hold of the midfielders plus Berridge, Chambers and Putman. Although wouldn’t blame anyone who wanted to leave and have a go in the league above as all would be easily capable at that level.

I think you’re right about Billy Kee, don’t think we will be seeing him again.

The defence is the main area we need to improve. Need 2 centre backs and a right back. Plus some kind of target man forward to replace Kee. A Creaney type player.

Hopefully we can put a squad together to go again in what will be a far tougher division next season.

First visit to Boston United's new ground today to see them take on Afc Telford United I think it's the only game in the league with nothing on it!

I never got to York Street Boston's old ground I had a game v Gloucester City pencilled in Easter 2020 but covid ensured that game never took place.

A Boston Sunday league side were playing there still up until recently not sure if they still do, but was a really nice stadium by all accounts.

First season following Kettering Town has ended in relegation from NLN. I went to Kidderminster today and Kettering collapsed in the second half. 

Away form has been dreadful this season and one too many times they haven't been ruthless, or they've chucked away games in the last minutes.

God knows what's next for the club. Real shame.