Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ashley

Scarves for Southampton - WYS

4 minutes ago, kingcarr21 said:

Why is it a nod to our heritage?

Genuine question. 

I just get the impression we have started playing WYS just before kick off as a way to try and copy other clubs in what they do with their songs. which in my mind is quite cringe. It maybe very basic logic in my mind and im happy for someone to educate me if i have missed something

:nigel:

Just now, kingcarr21 said:

Why is it a nod to our heritage?

Genuine question. 

I just get the impression we have started playing WYS just before kick off as a way to try and copy other clubs in what they do with their songs. which in my mind is quite cringe. It maybe very basic logic in my mind and im happy for someone to educate me if i have missed something

Top question! I’d love to know too. I was there singing the original in the Kop from the 60’s onward and it wasn’t regarded as legendary. Just a song we sang. The real difference was that it was sung at pace until the last verse when it was sung with a sort of ‘club singer’ flourish, and, as been posted previously, the mass waving of hands on the ‘yooooou’. Bit of a laugh and happily optimistic. Not the JB half pace dirge. Just my opinion of course. I’m sure others will differ…..

• Like 3

Guest Chocolate Teapot
5 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

UFS can sort you a lovely silk one

You've diversified into cravats?

I know you've had one or two accusations that you're led by a couple of would be hooligans via Oakham School but this is one step too far.

Or is it a throw back to pur glorious hunting heritage.

I'll come back to you.

Edited by Chocolate Teapot

3 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

:nigel:

Thanks for your contribution lol 

3 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

It was a song/chant first sung in the 1960s when chanting in football songs began to take off. Notable that most historical football chants   come from the era (Norwich’s on the ball city and Bristol Rovers’ Goodnight Irene exception).

The story is it was sung the Three Cranes pub one evening by a female singer, some city fans starting doing it the day after at Filbert Street. It caught on and was an unique chant to Leicester. I’m sure I’ll be corrected but it seemed to die out about during the Premier League era. I’ve had Cov and Brum fans mention it too me (again another two clubs who have a unique song from that era) 

Thanks for this. Gives me a little history lesson. I wont be so quick to disregard WYS.

34 minutes ago, MrSpaM said:

I doubt they are just going to be able to play it longer, the reason it gets cut off is because the match needs to start, the club don't get to choose when the ref blows for kick off

....start the song earlier!!!

At the moment you feel it is a sop to the supporters who have requested it. No reason why it cannot be played for much longer, although I hate this version, it is something that the fans seem to want and previously a part of our history so, make it so!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

You've diversified into cravats?

I know you've had one or two accusations that you're led by a couple of would be hooligans via Oakham School but this is one step too far.

Or is it a throw back to pur glorious hunting heritage.

I'll come back to you.

Funny you say this as the most active fella I know with the BS in the 1990s went Uppingham School 

38 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Well this is wrong. 

WYS has been played just as the players are kicking off... so again, I doubt that's a problem. 

Why can't carry on playing it as he game is being played can we, it gets cut off when the game is about to start, we can't just go "hold on Ref, the song hasnt finished yet"

And starting the song earlier when the team sheets are being read out woiuld just be a total mess

Edited by MrSpaM

2 minutes ago, MrSpaM said:

Why can't carry on playing it as he game is being played can we, it gets cut off when the game is about to start, we can't just go "hold on Ref, the song hasnt finished yet"

And starting the song earlier when the team sheets are being read out woiuld just be a total mess

...Liverpool get it done, so why can't we!!!

3 minutes ago, MrSpaM said:

Why not? 

14 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Why not? 

When have you ever heard of clubs playing music through the PA after the game has kicked off?!?

I'm sure if this was something you could do you would have at least one club by now that just plays a horribly distracting noise the entire game in an attempt to wind up the opposition?

Or they could just play an extremely loud airhorn noise through the PA every time the opposition lined up for a shot?

Surely there are rules against doing anything like this?

15 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...Liverpool get it done, so why can't we!!!

I'm sure we might have a chance of it happening when we've been doing it 60+ years and it's clear it's part of the pre match ritual or whatever you want to call it

I'm sure the Liverpool one started with the fans just singing it anyway?

Edited by MrSpaM

47 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Great idea @Ashley but I really don't like football scarves. Get a terrible rash from the wool.

Try wearing it around your neck and this may solve your rash problems…

1 hour ago, Woollett's Wellies said:

Everton and their ‘Grand old club’ song being a particularly naff example..

That tune is pure cringe even after a win.

Having to listen to it after an implosion like yesterday, back into the mix for relegation, I'm surprised the whole crowd don't go postal.

57 minutes ago, Woollett's Wellies said:

Top question! I’d love to know too. I was there singing the original in the Kop from the 60’s onward and it wasn’t regarded as legendary. Just a song we sang. The real difference was that it was sung at pace until the last verse when it was sung with a sort of ‘club singer’ flourish, and, as been posted previously, the mass waving of hands on the ‘yooooou’. Bit of a laugh and happily optimistic. Not the JB half pace dirge. Just my opinion of course. I’m sure others will differ…..

It was the 70's for me and most of these club anthems were generic and sung by most clubs. We used to sing our own versions of YNWA (with scarves), Bladon Races (to see the Bloomfied aces) even Blowing Bubbles (so's the Leicester Spion Kop, running after you) but I don't remember other fans singing WYS (perhaps Everton?). It was pretty much unique, especially the jazz hands. 

It did disappear during the 80's dark days when going down the City was dangerous and was lost by the time football was reinvented by Sky and the new generation arrived (well, the way we used to sing it was lost). 

I think the JB version is alright and probably the best for now at least. Unless we have some local musicians that can give it a go. 

• Like 2