Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Marshall Cockney Fox

Calvin Bassey

Suddenly playing well in the Europa League final isn’t that big a deal after weeks of reading over and over again in recent weeks how winning the Europa Conference would be the greatest achievement.

I thought he was superb - mobile, fast and strong, - he’d be a great addition now. I thought there were a couple of players on both sides who would be useful additions.. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, enmac said:

Jason Cundy and Jamie O'Hara on Talksport last night, said he was Celtic's stand out player.

Not sure that's a compliment for a Rangers player.

• Haha 1

Should we swallow our pride,do a "Pogba" and try to buy him back?! Would he have us?!

He was great last night, raw talent and natural aggression - something Rodgers has even admitted "you can't teach". 

it was the first time I'd seen him play and he made a few mistakes too but at 22 in that position, still very much learning his trade. 

6 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Didn’t really get the rave about him. Used his strength well but culpable for the goal where he allowed a striker to get in front of him. Made a couple of last ditch tackles because he made errors in the first place. 

Apparently according to someone on here, he threw a tantrum when LCFC said centre back is your position at under 23s level

tantrum is a bit much? 

It’s his career why shouldn’t he have a say on it? You wouldn’t go into a marketing job then just accept them making you a graphic designer because they already had a good marketer would you? you’d probably go out and find a job where you can do what you want. 

Footballers aren’t objects, they can have opinions as well… especially in a youth team 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

tantrum is a bit much? 

It’s his career why shouldn’t he have a say on it? You wouldn’t go into a marketing job then just accept them making you a graphic designer because they already had a good marketer would you? you’d probably go out and find a job where you can do what you want. 

Footballers aren’t objects, they can have opinions as well… especially in a youth team 

Not really a comparable. It would be more akin to asking an apprentice carpenter to go from working on internal work to working on building site for new homes. Your senior employer with their expertise thinks your talent can be used better elsewhere. 

Low and behold - his employer now has came to the same conclusion 

8 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Not really a comparable. It would be more akin to asking an apprentice carpenter to go from working on internal work to working on building site for new homes. Your senior employer with their expertise thinks your talent can be used better elsewhere. 

Low and behold - his employer now has came to the same conclusion 

i think it comes down to his interpretation. he thought he had a better shot of making a decent career as a left back, he wasn’t going to switch to centre back because it was a better fit for the current youth team  set up. It might help that particular team in the short term but would significantly hurt his chances of being a success. 

You can understand why he would want to try and play to what he felt were his best strengths. I don’t think it was as simple as steve thinking he would make a better cb. 

We see it often with the current set up, players all over the place position wise,  just to make a particular formation work. It’s a dangerous game to play with youth.  Learning a new role to help you progress is one thing but consistently playing out of position will not help them reach their potential 

Edited by Lambert09

2 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

i think it comes down to his interpretation. he thought he had a better shot of making a decent career as a left back, he wasn’t going to switch to centre back because it was a better fit for the current youth team  set up. It might help that particular team in the short term but would significantly hurt his chances of being a success. 

You can understand why he would want to try and play to what he felt were his best strengths. I don’t think it was as simple as steve thinking he would make a better cb. 

We see it often with the current set up, players all over the place position wise,  just to make a particular formation work. It’s a dangerous game to play with youth.  Learning a new role to help you progress is one thing but consistently playing out of position will not help them reach their potential 

I am a polar opposite to you then. I think players within youth systems should be challenged to play a variety of positions - it's something Ajax and Bayern do with all of their youth players. 

Bassey played centre back last night by the way and the switch to that position has been credited as the reason for his improvement in recent months. 

1 hour ago, enmac said:

Jason Cundy and Jamie O'Hara on Talksport last night, said he was Celtic's stand out player. Spent a couple of minutes talking about him. Is there a buy back clause? 

Of course I meant Rangers. 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tom27111 said:

The people overreacting on here is unreal.

The vast majority of you will have seen him play once, last night, where he was partly responsible for letting an attacker get in front of him for a goal.

He's had a great season at Rangers, playing at LB, LWB and LCB, and pushing out 2 previously regular starters in those positions Barisic and Balogun - and has won his first senior international caps this season. Reality is that he is presently much better than he was with us. But that's not unusual, as players tend to develop and get better (or worse) as their career develops and they garner more experience. Best wishes to him.

Edited by NaijaFox
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I think going to Rangers and playing at a league of lower intensity helps develop a player.

Without a couple of loans, he'd never got the chance to do that here. 

PS. Bassey should have been communicating to Goldson about his positioning. Didn't surprise that a set of pundits devoid of a defender levelled it at Goldson 

For me Goldson has just got to take matters into his own hands there, he could’ve reached the ball but left it. Appreciate you’ve got to listen to the shout but **** it it’s a European final just clear it 

4 hours ago, baldeagle said:

I think people are going overboard a little . Yes he looked good last night no denying that but the level of football  wasn’t exactly high . 

Really, it was th e final of the competition where we failed to get out of the group stages.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 19/05/2022 at 11:26, Ric Flair said:

This might actually be a good thing, obviously I'd rather we had Bassey here as he'd strengthen our defensive options but having to deal with the annoyance of losing a player who within 2 years has developed in to a very good player means we will be acutely aware of it happening again and the development plan of such players will need to be a priority. 

The flip side is players can see the benefits of moving on

On 19/05/2022 at 12:59, smudgerfox said:

Suddenly playing well in the Europa League final isn’t that big a deal after weeks of reading over and over again in recent weeks how winning the Europa Conference would be the greatest achievement.

I thought he was superb - mobile, fast and strong, - he’d be a great addition now. I thought there were a couple of players on both sides who would be useful additions.. 

Not surprising as both clubs out-achieved us

On 19/05/2022 at 14:36, baldeagle said:

I think people are going overboard a little . Yes he looked good last night no denying that but the level of football  wasn’t exactly high . 

Mickey Mouse competition. 

How.can you demean it like that?

It was a final of a competition we got knocked out of in the group stages.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1