Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Marshall Cockney Fox

Calvin Bassey

Just now, majaco said:

Mickey Mouse competition. 

How.can you demean it like that?

It was a final of a competition we got knocked out of in the group stages.

Did you watch the game? The standard was terrible for a Europa league final. Mishit passes and awful finishing. I think a lot was down to the heat, but the game was played at a standard much lower than you'd expect for a final of a european tournament.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, majaco said:

Mickey Mouse competition. 

How.can you demean it like that?

It was a final of a competition we got knocked out of in the group stages.

Where have I said Mickey Mouse competition, I suggest you read my post again because I definitely didn’t say that ..

33 minutes ago, baldeagle said:

Where have I said Mickey Mouse competition, I suggest you read my post again because I definitely didn’t say that ..

I don't want to read your post again.  I didn't like it the first time.

You didn't say Mcikey Mouse competitions.   I was picking up on what was implied to me.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, majaco said:

I don't want to read your post again.  I didn't like it the first time.

You didn't say Mcikey Mouse competitions.   I was picking up on what was implied to me.

Well I wasn’t implying that at all merely pointing out that the level of football in the final wasn’t great as filbertway above further explained . Did you watch the game and if you did do you think the football was of a high standard ?

1 hour ago, filbertway said:

Did you watch the game? The standard was terrible for a Europa league final. Mishit passes and awful finishing. I think a lot was down to the heat, but the game was played at a standard much lower than you'd expect for a final of a european tournament.

This 

Online media raving about him after yesterday's performance and even through he playing in Scottish football he's on an awards trajectory. Michael Laudrup reckons he one of the best up and coming defenders in Europe.

Villa, Liverpool and West Ham interested in him now! Villa and West Ham are probably thinking get him now before he becomes to expensive.

Just bring him home!

On 19/05/2022 at 20:26, jayfox26 said:

Same thing happens everytime a former player has a good game. See also Kramaric, Gray, Schlupp etc

Of course they were established players when they left which makes quite a big difference and only Kramaric has played consistently at a level we might have found useful. Plus none of them play in a position in which we have been utterly deficient this season. 

We could have kept Calvin Bassey for a relatively small amount of money, had him in the squad as an extra as an Academy product - and judging him, admittedly in one game, but one very high quality, intense, high profile game , he would have easily pushed past Soyuncu and got himself a first team place. Furthermore, and even more puzzling, he’s exactly the kind of player BR says we need for next season. 

Just now, smudgerfox said:

Of course they were established players when they left which makes quite a big difference and only Kramaric has played consistently at a level we might have found useful. Plus none of them play in a position in which we have been utterly deficient this season. 

We could have kept Calvin Bassey for a relatively small amount of money, had him in the squad as an extra as an Academy product - and judging him, admittedly in one game, but one very high quality, intense, high profile game , he would have easily pushed past Soyuncu and got himself a first team place. Furthermore, and even more puzzling, he’s exactly the kind of player BR says we need for next season. 

We offered him a new contract and he rejected it. He's playing every week at Rangers, he'd never have got much game time here, even when we had no centre backs. Plus he's predominantly at left back and we have Thomas plus Justin and Castagne 

1 hour ago, jayfox26 said:

he'd never have got much game time here 

That’s right - why give game time to a young, strong, athletic defender when you’re conceding  two goals a game and have a complete car crash at left centre back? No point whatever 

57 minutes ago, smudgerfox said:

That’s right - why give game time to a young, strong, athletic defender when you’re conceding  two goals a game and have a complete car crash at left centre back? No point whatever 

He was offered a new contract and refused it. Dont know why people get so worked up about players that have left us. We've had way better players than him leave and will have way better players leave. No evidence to show he would have been any better playing centre back this season the  any of the other players we've had. Plus the club could not forsee that our 2 best centre backs would be injured most of the season. Hindsight is wonderful. 

• Like 4

First of all no one  is getting worked up - just debating a decision 

1 hour ago, jayfox26 said:

He was offered a new contract and refused it. Dont know why people get so worked up about players that have left us. We've had way better players than him leave and will have way better players leave. No evidence to show he would have been any better playing centre back this season the  any of the other players we've had. Plus the club could not forsee that our 2 best centre backs would be injured most of the season. Hindsight is wonderful. 

No evidence to show he would have been any better playing centre back this season the  any of the other players we've had.

No evidence either to show he wouldn’t have been better either. What we do know is that he was excellent in the final of a competition in which we failed to get past the group stage. 

Hindsight is wonderful.  
Foresight is what  the management team are paid small fortunes for, That makes hindsight irrelevant. 

13 minutes ago, smudgerfox said:

First of all no one  is getting worked up - just debating a decision 

No evidence to show he would have been any better playing centre back this season the  any of the other players we've had.

No evidence either to show he wouldn’t have been better either. What we do know is that he was excellent in the final of a competition in which we failed to get past the group stage. 

Hindsight is wonderful.  
Foresight is what  the management team are paid small fortunes for, That makes hindsight irrelevant. 

And how are the management team to blame if a player rejects a new contract? 

9 hours ago, jayfox26 said:

And how are the management team to blame if a player rejects a new contract? 

Well presumably they could offer a better contract. Indicate there was a route to the first team. Or do you think the guy had a lifetime ambition to play in the SPL?

Of course there’s a danger in reading too much into this, but there’s also a danger of reading too little as well. After last summers car crash of a transfer window, a season dogged by lack of defensive cover and a major squad refresh on the way, it’s surely worth asking who’s making these decisions, and on what basis they are making them. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, January48 said:

I've seen him play for Rangers in the Scottish league on TV this season a couple of times and I thought he was terrible

It's a huge step up from Scotland to the Premier League, too.

Some of the guys on this forum will see malice or incompetence on the club's part over any news item.

I seriously want youth players that leave us to do well, and somewhat respect the ones that skip a lucrative contract because they want first team football (I am not sure Rangers is paying him more than we offered), although that decision doesn't usually work out. (Dodoo scored 4 goals for us, and also went to Rangers...didn't work out as well for him.)

But just because they do well at other clubs doesn't mean we keep everyone with potential! 

And again: SPL. 

Guest Chocolate Teapot
1 hour ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

A few seasons at Villa then Gerrard will take to Liverpool when he becomes manager there.

Hes shown no evidence whatsoever this far he's capable of managing a decent team.

And yes I hate Villa.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
4 minutes ago, Mash21 said:

Just one of them that we let slip. Shame but very happy for the lad he looks quality.

Given we're after a left footed centre back would we not be in for him again if we thought he was worth it?

1 minute ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Given we're after a left footed centre back would we not be in for him again if we thought he was worth it?

I think that it would be highly embarrassing if we signed him back for 25 million after letting him go for 200k. Also don't think he would want to come back anyway I think he would find a destination like villa or West Ham more attractive. Shame but it is what it is.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
Just now, Mash21 said:

I think that it would be highly embarrassing if we signed him back for 25 million after letting him go for 200k. Also don't think he would want to come back anyway I think he would find a destination like villa or West Ham more attractive. Shame but it is what it is.

It happens all the time at clubs. And why would they be more attractive? Villa only because they pay stupid wages.