Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Marshall Cockney Fox

Calvin Bassey

1 hour ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

It's a huge step up from Scotland to the Premier League, too.

Some of the guys on this forum will see malice or incompetence on the club's part over any news item.

I seriously want youth players that leave us to do well, and somewhat respect the ones that skip a lucrative contract because they want first team football (I am not sure Rangers is paying him more than we offered), although that decision doesn't usually work out. (Dodoo scored 4 goals for us, and also went to Rangers...didn't work out as well for him.)

But just because they do well at other clubs doesn't mean we keep everyone with potential! 

And again: SPL. 

It is…

But players like Van Dijk (albeit he’s no VVD, precious few are), Wanyama, and Tierney have recently done it seamlessly.

25 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/sport/20165652.calvin-bassey-given-25million-rating-leicester-mentor-urges-premier-league-clubs-snap-rangers-hand-off/

Sir Steve Beaglehole has weighed in, perhaps if you hadn't held him back Steve he'd have made it here and we'd have saved ourselves £20m this summer.

If deals hadn't been made, I wonder what would have happened if he and Knight were still on the books when Fofana was injured? Given the situation with Benko, would one or both of them been added to the squad? In any event, it is a good thing they are trying to sort out the Academy-Development-Senior team conveyor belt.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, January48 said:

I've seen him play for Rangers in the Scottish league on TV this season a couple of times and I thought he was terrible

What games? I can't recall any of the top of my head that he was particularly bad in but what games was it that you watched? I don't imagine that you watch to many so it shouldn't be too hard to recall...

I just couldn’t see this clamour of him being a good player in that final. He lost his man for the goal. Reminds me a bit of Liam Moore or Cedric Kipre. Decent physical defenders but not taking you to the next level.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, KFS said:

I just couldn’t see this clamour of him being a good player in that final. He lost his man for the goal. Reminds me a bit of Liam Moore or Cedric Kipre. Decent physical defenders but not taking you to the next level.

He made UEFA's official Europa League Cup Team of the Season...

https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/news/0275-15302e8596b2-af02e3bfb7db-1000--2021-22-uefa-europa-league-team-of-the-season/

Edited by NaijaFox

5 minutes ago, NaijaFox said:

He would likely "improve us" over Westergaard and Betrand.  lol

He’s not signing for Leicester and someone mentioned on here that he left of his own accord because he wanted to play LB and we had Thomas ahead of him. What’s your point? 

He's been absolutely sensational for Rangers this season, the SPFL team of the season didn't include him though, a Celtic player who plays RB was selected for his position. It's no wonder Scottish football is regarded as tin pot, the madmen who occupy the top jobs in the running of the game need shipped out.

• Haha 1

On 26/05/2022 at 20:10, KFS said:

He’s not signing for Leicester and someone mentioned on here that he left of his own accord because he wanted to play LB and we had Thomas ahead of him. What’s your point? 

Huh?! Who said he was signing for Leicester?

My point is that he would "improve us" (since you asked) over Vestergaard and Bertrand. Duh! lol

15 hours ago, NaijaFox said:

Huh?! Who said he was signing for Leicester?

My point is that he would "improve us" (since you asked) over Vestergaard and Bertrand. Duh! lol

I’m not considering either of those players. They’re shit and don’t play. I’m saying neither first eleven or bench does Calvin Bassey improve us.

• Like 1

On 29/05/2022 at 09:31, KFS said:

I’m not considering either of those players. They’re shit and don’t play. I’m saying neither first eleven or bench does Calvin Bassey improve us.

Trying to avoid belaboring this discourse over someone not coming here, but how would he not "improve us" if he is BETTER than at least two of the players on our bench? A team is not limited to starters, and thus deepening overall quality of the squad by definition "improves us". 

Btw, he was actually AHEAD of Luke Thomas in the developmental teams. Contrary to your insinuation, he left (after we offered him a contract and he declined) because he wanted first team football, and not because Thomas was ahead of him.

He's been a CREDIT to our academy and we should be happy for him, regardless of where he finds himself, but without doubt he would have "improved" us (particularly when one thinks of those games we were compelled to play Wilf at CD). 

• Like 1

On 29/05/2022 at 12:59, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

Is this a bit like when Maguire had a good high profile tournament and gets a big move? Very dangerous doing your scouting based on a hand full of games in a cup run.

I personally warned against signing Vestergaard on the back of a good Euro showing, so I am well aware of the danger.

However, in Bassey's case, it's not been "a handful of games in a cup run" though.

He had a terrific season for Rangers, with 50 appearances in the league and cups, and ending up with their Young Player award.

Many young players actually get BETTER as they progress through the ranks and garner more experience. Accordingly, it would be even more "dangerous" to engage in somewhat retrospective scouting based on his standard while he was in our development squads (albeit he was still one of our BETTER prospects, and one many thought was on the verge of the first-team). Reality is that Bassey is currently a much BETTER player than when he was with our developmental teams, and the only pause would be whether that would be readily transferable to the EPL.

Edited by NaijaFox
  • Like 1

Calvin left us over 2yrs ago aged 20, he didn't want to play CB & wanted 1st team football.
He wasn't ready to start in that team that finished 5th, we probably told him he'd be going on loan to a Lge below, he wasn't snapped up by 1 of the clubs at the bottom of the premiership let alone by a club in the group around us.
He has benefitted from going to the SCO league & playing on a regular bases against that opposition in a team that has a mix of the best players in the league, if he had stayed he probably wouldn't have been in a position to help us last season anyway as wouldn't have had the game exposure he got in SCO.
Yes he has had few good games in Europe which has hightened his profile & he appeared in the Europa team of the season but he hasn't appeared in the SPL team of the season for the 2yrs he has been there, he has had a steady 2yrs nothing more.
All i can say is well done him but i'm not sure we should be getting into drawing comparisons of Chelsea letting KDB go just yet.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/06/2022 at 05:31, BKLFox said:

Yes he has had few good games in Europe which has hightened his profile & he appeared in the Europa team of the season but he hasn't appeared in the SPL team of the season for the 2yrs he has been there, he has had a steady 2yrs nothing more.
All i can say is well done him but i'm not sure we should be getting into drawing comparisons of Chelsea letting KDB go just yet.

That's incorrect. Here's the official 21/22 team of the season...

https://spfl.co.uk/news/cinch-premiership-team-of-the-season-202122

Edited by NaijaFox