Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Marshall Cockney Fox

Calvin Bassey

1 hour ago, Bryn said:

Most people I know who watch Scotch football says he's a lump.

That might be so but he’s a lump who will be sold for near on 20 million quid in the very near future. This f**k up ranks along side the signings of Bertrand and Vestergard in the last few years. Something has gone badly wrong with our recent transfer dealings. It all adds to the general malaise about the place which could see us in real trouble if we are not careful. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, TamworthFoxes said:

That might be so but he’s a lump who will be sold for near on 20 million quid in the very near future. This f**k up ranks along side the signings of Bertrand and Vestergard in the last few years. Something has gone badly wrong with our recent transfer dealings. It all adds to the general malaise about the place which could see us in real trouble if we are not careful. 

You can lead a horse to water…..

3 minutes ago, TamworthFoxes said:

I don't see how this is a **** up? He decided he wanted to leave as we weren't playing him at LB, wanting instead to use him as a CB. So he left and went to Rangers. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Honestly what are you on about. We made the lad a big offer to stay and he wanted first team football NOW rather than wait for a chance. 

It’s a story that happens up and down the country at many clubs, clubs bigger and better than us as well, and just follows a recent trend of young lads not hanging about and taking their careers into their own hands. Rather than sitting in bloated squads of rich clubs. 

So you don’t think letting a player go for peanuts who is then sold for 20 million 2 years later is a f**k up?  Whatever the reasoning behind it, it makes us look incompetent. Perhaps we should have given him first team football? The cold hard facts are that this lad was with us 2 years ago and he’s now going Ajax for 20 million. 

• Haha 1

Sone of our fans are weird  any excuse  to slag of  the club . We ****ed up letting him go … Typical Leicester… our recruitment has been shit lately … so on and so on . Ignoring all the actual facts . Then add to  that he’s had one semi good season in Scotland being eyed up by a club in another league that’s not exactly strong plus rubbish media chat about Prem clubs being  interested and suddenly he’s the new VVD. Let’s wait and see how it pans out shall we then slate  the club . 

• Like 2

Had he still been here he would be looking for a championship or league one club next.

He's never in a million years been an Ajax player.  That bit of business they've done is as bad as any of our recent terrible signings

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, TamworthFoxes said:

So you don’t think letting a player go for peanuts who is then sold for 20 million 2 years later is a f**k up?  Whatever the reasoning behind it, it makes us look incompetent. Perhaps we should have given him first team football? The cold hard facts are that this lad was with us 2 years ago and he’s now going Ajax for 20 million. 

He was a left back when he was with us, we wanted to train him into a centre back, he wanted to stay a left back

Goes to Rangers, starts as a left back but then later on in his 2nd season with them he gets moved into centre back, and then gets "hyped up" and some good displays in Europa as a centre back

If he had stayed here there is absolutely no guarantee he would've developed into the same kind of player even if he was given first team football

Hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it?

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, TamworthFoxes said:

Can't force a lad to sign a contract.

I watch rangers regularly, physically he’s an absolute animal, tenchnically not so much at times. Always thought he was steady for the 23s but he’s progressed massively since leaving. Just shows what gambling on a lad and giving first team action can do. We kind of messed up allowing him to leave although I couldn’t of seen his progression as it’s happened at his time of leaving us. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TamworthFoxes said:

Firstly he didn't want to stay

Secondly if he had stayed realistically was he going to play very much?

Thirdly if you are seeing this as a **** up then what do you call the money Utd wasted on Pogba or Chelsea on Lukaku and Drinkwater or Arsenal on Ozil...Man City with Sancho or the fact that players like Rudiger....Christensen.....Pogba....Lingard.....all walked for free this summer.....where do you rank those **** ups?

7 hours ago, TamworthFoxes said:

We didn’t let him go, he wouldn’t sign a contract. 

I don’t know what planet people are on thinking you can force players to do something they don’t want to do. 

If we’d let him go thinking he’s shit, it’s a different story. 

• Like 1

I looked back at my old posts about him. I still think we ****ed up partially by not convincing him to stay. But there there’s another factor. There was a year younger u17 England captain Luke Thomas in the same squad. If Bassey was demanding Luke’s position, and there was no way we could convince Bassey to play left of a back three, then the whole thing is sad but understandable.

I don't remember him being particularly rated at Leicester.   But nor was KDH.

He used his initiative and took an opportunity. 

It does highlight the need to et highly rated players on the pitch.  For Chilwell and Barnes, they got time out on loan.  Thomas came in because of injuries (perhaps it would have been Bassey had he stayed).   

The club seems aware that layers like Braybrooke need minutes. 

Losing Bassey seems unfortunate.  I don't think the club messed up.

41 minutes ago, majaco said:

I don't remember him being particularly rated at Leicester.   But nor was KDH.

He used his initiative and took an opportunity. 

It does highlight the need to et highly rated players on the pitch.  For Chilwell and Barnes, they got time out on loan.  Thomas came in because of injuries (perhaps it would have been Bassey had he stayed).   

The club seems aware that layers like Braybrooke need minutes. 

Losing Bassey seems unfortunate.  I don't think the club messed up.

Nah. Him and Luke were our best academy players a while back. Just a pity they were both vying for the same position.

• Like 1

Didn’t he change his surname when he signed for Rangers? I can’t remember what he went by whilst he was in our youth setup. 

He was highly thought of though. 

Every club loses players. As expand the academy, it’ll happen again. 

Do the clubs like Grandoli / Newells look

back and think, “we lost £200,000,000 on Messi”? 

Some footballers need to leave to get that spark to kick on and grow. Calvin appears to be one of those. 

10 hours ago, Lesta2014 said:

I watch rangers regularly, physically he’s an absolute animal, tenchnically not so much at times. Always thought he was steady for the 23s but he’s progressed massively since leaving. Just shows what gambling on a lad and giving first team action can do. We kind of messed up allowing him to leave although I couldn’t of seen his progression as it’s happened at his time of leaving us. 

...sometimes getting away from our coaches and being coached in a different way allows the player to understand himself and his role better!!!

KDH, chalk and cheese compared to his time in the U23s. Barnes excelling at WBA, sometimes it just works in another environment. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bryn said:

Most people I know who watch Scotch football says he's a lump.

It’s hard to say tbh, he only broke into the Rangers team as a regular in the past 6 months and from what I saw he looked a very good player, albeit only over 6 months. I’m glad he’s gone as it will definitely weaken them.

12 hours ago, Lesta2014 said:

This is a good assessment of him. Physically a beast but needs work still on developing technically and in particular positionally. Given how technically Ajax sides play I was a little surprised he’s ended up there, expected to see him at Brighton or somewhere like that instead.

• Like 3