Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Marshall Cockney Fox

Calvin Bassey

14 hours ago, Babylon said:

Honestly what are you on about. We made the lad a big offer to stay and he wanted first team football NOW rather than wait for a chance. 

It’s a story that happens up and down the country at many clubs, clubs bigger and better than us as well, and just follows a recent trend of young lads not hanging about and taking their careers into their own hands. Rather than sitting in bloated squads of rich clubs. 

And for me, you can’t fault that. I like it that they’re confident enough in their own ability at a young age to want to go and play first team football rather than playing 23’s and waiting for a chance that may not come. 

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Bert said:

And for me, you can’t fault that. I like it that they’re confident enough in their own ability at a young age to want to go and play first team football rather than playing 23’s and waiting for a chance that may not come. 

I have no problem with it, disappointing of course but we don’t own players.

4 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

People moan their ass off about the contract we gave to Hamza because he had potential.

People money the ass off when a player with potential leaves.

Club can't win.

Hamza was a terrible call. Bassey was easily the correct call.

The only difference is, has we kept Bassey, he wouldn't be worth anything as he would be 5/6th choice at CB. We wouldn't be selling him for 20+ million that's for sure.

Whereas Hamza will have cost us about £10 million by the time he's finished milking us dry, and fair play to him. Kingy and James did the same. If people are willing to throw free money at you, you've got to take it.

Surprised he's got to an Ajax level. Not cheap either so it's not a case if them buying him cheap and selling him to England for a profit. 

Not seen lots to be fair but seems to excel at recovery, obviously good that he can do that but would also worry me that he has to do that so often. 

Edited by RowlattsFox

1 hour ago, Bert said:

Also a risk, 3 clubs in 2yrs if it doesn’t go well at Ajax for what ever reason it could end up being like bad credit and see himself dropping divisions for pushing to early.

Credit to him if it lands heads up mind, don’t get why people having a go at the club for him not staying either

51 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Maybe if Hamza had done a Bassey he may have developed differently. 

Can't remember many kicking up a fuss when Bassey left.

For me it highlight the difficultly for young players to break into a PL team.

Maybe the lack of transfers could have a silver lining of aid the likes of Wright, Nelson, Braybrooke and Alves to break though 

I think Hamza would look decent in the SPL as it's pretty much League one standard. His physical attributes are very decent and he's decent enough on the ball, probably League two/League one.

Infact, it wouldn't even surprise me if he ended up playing for Rangers once he's released. If I was Hamza I'd be asking my agent to get me a gig in the MLS or A League. Already made plenty of money. Go and play in a nice climate and enjoy being a regular decent player in the league.

I do hope so, however I get the feeling that Rodgers is way to cautious about playing academy lads. Every opportunity he's had to play these lads, he's given them the bare minimum, if any chance at all. He's not shown me anything so far to suggest he'd look to blood some obviously talented youngsters.

Wright and Alves seem the two most obvious that should get a fair crack considering how light we are in wide/attacking midfielders.

5 hours ago, filbertway said:

I think Hamza would look decent in the SPL as it's pretty much League one standard. His physical attributes are very decent and he's decent enough on the ball, probably League two/League one.

Infact, it wouldn't even surprise me if he ended up playing for Rangers once he's released. If I was Hamza I'd be asking my agent to get me a gig in the MLS or A League. Already made plenty of money. Go and play in a nice climate and enjoy being a regular decent player in the league.

I do hope so, however I get the feeling that Rodgers is way to cautious about playing academy lads. Every opportunity he's had to play these lads, he's given them the bare minimum, if any chance at all. He's not shown me anything so far to suggest he'd look to blood some obviously talented youngsters.

Wright and Alves seem the two most obvious that should get a fair crack considering how light we are in wide/attacking midfielders.

Not sure about that, since he been here his give PL debuts to Thomas and KDH who have become key squad members.

Compare him to Puel.

Rodgers

PL debuts

Thomas

KDH

Brunt

McAteer

Leshabela

Daley-Campbell

Tavares

Hirst

Cup

Madivadua

Alves 

Puel

PL debuts

Barnes 

Cup 

Josh Knight

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, LinekersLugs said:

This fella is NOT premier league starting quality ! Way to many Non league level strikers have turned him inside out up in scotland

He is a £5m punt maximum 

Yet champions league Ajax have just brought him for £22m

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Sly said:

Great start! 

That's almost a Jonathan Woodgate for Real Madrid level of debut lol

In all seriousness, I hope he recovers from it well and has a great career there, for him and for us.

The academy will grow its reputation if more of its graduates go on to do great things, whether it's with the club or with another. A stronger reputation equals a more attractive proposition for academy signings, better players coming through to the first team and more money for those we sell on.

• Like 2

On 17/07/2022 at 10:58, sacreblueits442 said:

...sometimes getting away from our coaches and being coached in a different way allows the player to understand himself and his role better!!!

KDH, chalk and cheese compared to his time in the U23s. Barnes excelling at WBA, sometimes it just works in another environment. 

Been saying this for years on another thread...!

Barnes and Chilwells agents/parents were desperate for them NOT to be playing for Beaglehole in the U23s and pushed very hard for loan moves to get away from their development being stifled in that set-up

KDH had several loan opportunities 12-18 months before he was finally allowed to go on loan just so Beaglehole could keep him in his U23s and make results look better.

If they are good enough, let them go out and play senior football as soon as they are capable and ready and dont stifle their development in a meaningless U23s league just to massage the egos of the coaches..

Didnt take long for Beaglehole to be "moved aside" after Rodgers joined after he had been in same job for years without any questions......amazing what a fresh pair of eyes bring to the scene.  

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Foxy-Lady said:

Been saying this for years on another thread...!

Barnes and Chilwells agents/parents were desperate for them NOT to be playing for Beaglehole in the U23s and pushed very hard for loan moves to get away from their development being stifled in that set-up

KDH had several loan opportunities 12-18 months before he was finally allowed to go on loan just so Beaglehole could keep him in his U23s and make results look better.

If they are good enough, let them go out and play senior football as soon as they are capable and ready and dont stifle their development in a meaningless U23s league just to massage the egos of the coaches..

Didnt take long for Beaglehole to be "moved aside" after Rodgers joined after he had been in same job for years without any questions......amazing what a fresh pair of eyes bring to the scene.  

Same happened to Dave Rennie. That went well