Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Marshall Cockney Fox

Calvin Bassey

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Foxxed said:

He backed himself when we were choosing Thomas over him at LB and now Calvin’s a regular at Ajax getting good ratings.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but let that sink in for a moment. We sold Bassey to keep Thomas 🥴

1 hour ago, Guest said:

We didn't sell him, he decided to leave on a free to Rangers, supposedly due at least in part to us seeing him as a centre back. You can't keep a player if they don't want to stay and if anything the club have been totally vindicated with regards to their stance on his position.

You can keep young players if you see enough potential in them to play them in their preferred position, I reckon 🤷

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, TrentFox said:

You can keep young players if you see enough potential in them to play them in their preferred position, I reckon 🤷

But the weird thing is, he left us because he didn't want to play CB and then made a name for himself as a CB. We were right about him all along, he just didn't see it yet. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TrentFox said:

Don't really think you should be letting a teenage kid dictate to you what position he plays.

Your setting a dangerous president if you go along those lines.

• Like 3

For the record I don’t blame us for playing Thomas ahead of him. And he’s obviously succeeded after playing the position we asked (ideally we could have put more effort into convincing him but we did at least try). But fair does. I’ve not watched him play for Ajax but he seems to be doing well.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, themightyfin said:

Don't really think you should be letting a teenage kid dictate to you what position he plays.

Your setting a dangerous president if you go along those lines.

Totally fair point. But I wonder if  there could have been some middle ground? 

5 minutes ago, TrentFox said:

Totally fair point. But I wonder if  there could have been some middle ground? 

It seems not! 

Not all relationships wirh clubs and players work out its as simple as that.

There are loads of players who have been released by clubs or left of their own accord  only to go on to make it elsewhere that's football.

For every one like Bassey that slip through  the net there are dozens who are kept on and never make it.

What are we supposed to do? Bend over backwards for every teenage kid to keep them sweet and give them everything they want  on the off chance they may just be the one? 

It's just not realistic. 

I think we have generated more than our fair share in the last few years from the academy the odd one to slip by will always happen.

Good luck to him.

• Like 4