Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Father Ted

Jon Moss

14 minutes ago, majaco said:

Have you read the room?

You have marked yourself out as a strong minded individual.  But I completely disagree with you.  Moss is not fit to referee.  If he spoils the game tomorrow,  I will not be surprised and I will do many swearings.

My wife does not like football;-she doesn't follow it at all.  However, she is aware of Moss and his work because of my partially insane rantings season after season. 

Well I agree with definitely not fit to referee anymore.

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

Like players refs make mistakes.

Like players they don't mean to make mistakes.

Without refs there is no game.

Yes. but there are what are called "professional levels." If you keep making bone-headed mistake a pub league player gets right, you stop playing professionally ... or at least get dropped until your contract runs out. Referees? Less so.

5 hours ago, Nod.E said:

The Premier League's stance on anti racism is exposed for all its virtue signalling substance by their selection of who they choose to officiate games.

Unfit, old, white, men. They are so poor that replacing them with a more diverse selection of officials could easily improve quality. It's difficult to imagine it getting worse.

It's a boys' club.

The Premier League is the epitome of inauthentic PR machines that perpetually churn out shite, none of which does absolutely anything to better any cause. I'd argue it's a contributing factor to the more troubled society we're seeing. Nobody's buying it and it just fuels the fire.

To bring it back to topic somewhat, yes, refereeing in this country is woeful, and Moss deserves every chant, boo and jeer he gets tomorrow.

You’re absolutely correct.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

Yes. but there are what are called "professional levels." If you keep making bone-headed mistake a pub league player gets right, you stop playing professionally ... or at least get dropped until your contract runs out. Referees? Less so.

Ever had a go at being a ref?

• Thanks 1

I am going to miss his "lets run as little as possible" impression during the matches.  It became a thing with myself and my my kids "look it is the man who runs in mud", then we would spend 5 mins just watching him hardly moving, and having a good laugh when he did try to run.  It made forget about his lack of refereeing skills combined with his arrogance, although Mike Dean still wins on the latter.

8 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

I have.  It's  not easy.

One of the responsibilities is to apply the rules.   A lot of premier League refs seem to interpret to the extent of making it up as they go along.   I have seen Attwell speak and say it's about whether a decision can be sold to the cameras (I am not quite sure what this means).

For me, Moss is probe to making up the odd rule.  He seems to think he has an appreciation of the game at a level beyond most mortals. When he refs , there always seems to be a little bit of ref cheating because he is not applying the rules properly.   So often,  the game becomes about him.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

Nope. Nor have I been a professional footballer. Haven't received a check for doing either of those jobs, either. But I have seen footballers dropped and them sold for not being good enough, but truly awful refs kept on year after year.

But that "have you ever had a go at being a ----" argument makes little sense: Everyone on earth hasn't "had a go" at most jobs they deal with. I waited tables for two years at university, but if someone has lousy table service at a restaurant, I don't tell them they can't complain about it until they've done the job themselves.

Moss is a horrible referee. I have seen plenty better in the Championship, so it's not like there weren't ready replacements for him. The fact is, bad referees stay in their job in the Premier League, when in other jobs, they'd be given the boot.

• Like 2

The top refs are professional I believe but below that they are still amateurs?

Must create some sort of divide and closed shop feeling for those trying to break though.

However not quite sure we see and hear about so much abuse for officials  at grass roots football - after all surely that is just a game without the pressures of the Professional game in terms of money and jobs?

53 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

Nope. Nor have I been a professional footballer. Haven't received a check for doing either of those jobs, either. But I have seen footballers dropped and them sold for not being good enough, but truly awful refs kept on year after year.

I have it surprising how different thing look on the pitch to on the sidelines. 

But that "have you ever had a go at being a ----" argument makes little sense: Everyone on earth hasn't "had a go" at most jobs they deal with. I waited tables for two years at university, but if someone has lousy table service at a restaurant, I don't tell them they can't complain about it until they've done the job themselves.

That's not what I mean't, I wasn't saying you can't complain, Just that having a go makes you realise how much how there view makes things look very different

Moss is a horrible referee. I have seen plenty better in the Championship, so it's not like there weren't ready replacements for him. The fact is, bad referees stay in their job in the Premier League, when in other jobs, they'd be given the boot.

He's not been great but some of the hatred ref get is out of order, problem is the general standard is low. 

1 hour ago, majaco said:

I have.  It's  not easy.

One of the responsibilities is to apply the rules.   A lot of premier League refs seem to interpret to the extent of making it up as they go along.   I have seen Attwell speak and say it's about whether a decision can be sold to the cameras (I am not quite sure what this means).

For me, Moss is probe to making up the odd rule.  He seems to think he has an appreciation of the game at a level beyond most mortals. When he refs , there always seems to be a little bit of ref cheating because he is not applying the rules properly.   So often,  the game becomes about him.

I have too, it hard then most people think.

Laws not rules ;)

Ref don't cheat, they maybe crap or make mistakes but they don't cheat or make up laws.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Laws not rules ;)

Ref don't cheat, they maybe crap or make mistakes but they don't cheat or make up laws.

There are instances, most games, where something happens in front of the ref but they don't 'see' it.  They should be experienced enough to be more consistent.

In terms of whether refs cheat:  against Chelsea, the ref gave a decision where he was clearly unsighted.    At any level , refs know they can only give what they see.  This,to me, is an example of ref cheating.   Not applying the rules correctly- knowingly.  It is cheating the laws of the game.   I am reasonably confident that Moss will do something similar at least once today.

37 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Laws not rules ;)

Mark Clattenburg admitted to ignoring clear red cards in the 2016 Chelsea Tottenham game out of fear he would have been blamed for costing them the title. Sorry, that's cheating.

And how many times have you seen a ref "try to even things up" after a red card or a penalty, especially if that decision was dodgy? 

Just look at second red cards in games: They are much more likely to make a match go to 10 v 10 than 9 v 11, especially if given before the 80th minute. 

I am not saying being a ref is easy, or that the view from the pitch is the same from the stands. What I am saying is that the review performances after games at all professional levels, and some are better than others and some shouldn't make their living at it: Moss should have been replaced years ago.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, majaco said:

I am reasonably confident that Moss will do something similar at least once today.

In all honesty, even though I think he is biased against us (at least Vardy), I don't think he will.

Unlike some refs, Moss truly hates to be in the limelight or have the game be about him. In that way, he is truly an exemplary referee.

It goes to show how incompetent he is that his awful refereeing gets his name in the papers as often as it does.

Hence, the Vardy "incident" being what really put him on the back pages and has become what he will always be known for: It must really grate him.

1 hour ago, majaco said:

There are instances, most games, where something happens in front of the ref but they don't 'see' it.  They should be experienced enough to be more consistent.

In terms of whether refs cheat:  against Chelsea, the ref gave a decision where he was clearly unsighted.    At any level , refs know they can only give what they see.  This,to me, is an example of ref cheating.   Not applying the rules correctly- knowingly.  It is cheating the laws of the game.   I am reasonably confident that Moss will do something similar at least once today.

How can you know what he could see useless you have the ability to see though other peoples eyes. 

80% of this forum doesn't know the laws of the game.

1 hour ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

Mark Clattenburg admitted to ignoring clear red cards in the 2016 Chelsea Tottenham game out of fear he would have been blamed for costing them the title. Sorry, that's cheating.

Clattenburg, was a very good ref, but a compete wally and would say anything to get some limelight.

And how many times have you seen a ref "try to even things up" after a red card or a penalty, especially if that decision was dodgy? 

I'm not saying there is never any unconscious bias, but I draw the line at calling them a cheat.

Just look at second red cards in games: They are much more likely to make a match go to 10 v 10 than 9 v 11, especially if given before the 80th minute. 

I am not saying being a ref is easy, or that the view from the pitch is the same from the stands. What I am saying is that the review performances after games at all professional levels, and some are better than others and some shouldn't make their living at it: Moss should have been replaced years ago.

The problem the game has is the replacement aren't not much better.

My view is the Professional Game Match Officials Limited need better leadership and direction then it currently has. 

19 hours ago, Nod.E said:

The Premier League's stance on anti racism is exposed for all its virtue signalling substance by their selection of who they choose to officiate games.

Unfit, old, white, men. They are so poor that replacing them with a more diverse selection of officials could easily improve quality. It's difficult to imagine it getting worse.

It's a boys' club.

The Premier League is the epitome of inauthentic PR machines that perpetually churn out shite, none of which does absolutely anything to better any cause. I'd argue it's a contributing factor to the more troubled society we're seeing. Nobody's buying it and it just fuels the fire.

To bring it back to topic somewhat, yes, refereeing in this country is woeful, and Moss deserves every chant, boo and jeer he gets tomorrow.

Same with Managers.

Same old white boys like Hodgson  get decent gigs no matter what, but a black ex footballer fails in his first jobs and that's curtains for him.

I'm glad Vieira  has done well at Palace as people would have loved for him to fail.

27 minutes ago, Raj said:

Same with Managers.

Same old white boys like Hodgson  get decent gigs no matter what, but a black ex footballer fails in his first jobs and that's curtains for him.

I'm glad Vieira  has done well at Palace as people would have loved for him to fail.

Who would’ve liked Viera to fail? Haven’t seen anything in person or online that suggests that. 

16 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

Who would’ve liked Viera to fail? Haven’t seen anything in person or online that suggests that. 

I dont suppose people would write to you or let you know in person!

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

How can you know what he could see useless you have the ability to see though other peoples eyes. 

80% of this forum doesn't know the laws of the game.

Clattenburg, was a very good ref, but a compete wally and would say anything to get some limelight.

I'm not saying there is never any unconscious bias, but I draw the line at calling them a cheat.

The problem the game has is the replacement aren't not much better.

My view is the Professional Game Match Officials Limited need better leadership and direction then it currently has. 

100%.  Until the ‘we can do no wrong’ culture is changed the relationship between refs, players and fans will remain as it is.  Let us hear the conversation between refs and players/VAR.  If that means we hear some bad language then so be it, might even make players think a bit more about how they behave.  Works in both codes of rugby where emotions run at least as high.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Raj said:

Same with Managers.

But the players take the knee, so it's all gravy lol

• Like 1