Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Monk

8th place

2 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

They say the table never lies, but I kind of feel that this season, it does!

I feel like we never really got going this season, it was always mini bursts that quickly petered out. 8th would be considered a superb season under MON or even when we first got promoted, but this is an expensive squad that were FA Cup winners. I don't think anyone here expected a top 4 push, but we should have been in the fight for top 6 until the last day of the season, when in reality we were out of the race by Christmas.

For all of us the real frustrations were:

- Poor performance in Europe. Don't let the Conference run fool you. We had an easy group in the Europa but lost to Legia, and couldn't beat Spartak or Napoli at home. We also went out with a whimper to Roma, who aren't that strong.

- Pathetic defence of the FA Cup. If a team from a lower division beats you with a back to the walls, digging in effort where you pepper their goal, fair enough. In reality 4-1 flattered us, we were truly dreadful in that game.

- Too many capitulations and goals conceded in the final stages of games. The Spurs one I will never get over, but also Liverpool in the cup, Newcastle, Everton, etc, etc.

- Our defending of set pieces that was truly Sunday league standard at best.

I'm not Rodgers out, he is a good manager and I think he deserves the summer to rebuild. But we can't have another season like this one with the investment we made, and Top will be saying the same. With this squad and these players, not getting European football is failure, so this season we ultimately failed.

At least there were some positives. Maddison has blossomed into a truly fantastic player and Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall an absolute revelation.

To answer the question, no not happy. We should have qualified for Europe at minimum and did not. Not good enough!

Agree with every part of this mate.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Is it? Do we genuinely when you look at it subjectively, have a better squad than anyone who finished above us?

Especially, when you consider how many first choice players have missed large chunks of the season.

Yes. We have a better squad than West Ham. Even with the injuries. 

Excellent finish, sets us up nicely for next season. I for one are glad we have no European football next season. If we have a fit squad next season we can capitalise on it, aim for a European football spot and be in better shape the following season to compete in it. 

• Like 1

Considering the mediocrity, at times, of this season, 8th is positive and should be taken as a platform to build on for next season. 

Hopefully fewer injuries, some players feeling more settled (Daka, Soumare?), some new signings, youngsters along with the likes of Fofana, Maddison and KDH, things don't look too bad. 

Just need to sort the defence out :ph34r:

Honestly though, let's try and not be too miserable or approach next season with negativity. It won't be healthy and will just mean anything good that does happen will be tainted with pessimism. 

I think we have it within us to finish top 6 and perhaps win the League Cup or FA Cup. A comparatively lighter schedule will benefit us... 

• Like 1

All the teams between 8th to 14th have had very meh spells this season, finishing 8th was our best bet for a good while, we’ve achieved that, I’m content with that finish, just a shame we couldn’t contend for a top six finish this season.

• Like 1

Just now, BKLFox said:

with a better goal difference we were Only 6pts behind Man U in 6th as well 

And when you think about West Ham’s last minute handball equaliser against us and the goal Madders had disallowed at Old Trafford we could easily be level with 6th. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Fox42 said:

As daft as it sounds, I think it’s a blessing we won’t be playing in Europe next season. I think given our rebuild and certain players that have either just recovered from injuries or are tired, we can do without a crammed fixture list for the first time in three years. Look at Arsenal & Wolves as examples. 

Not daft at all. I think that's why we were so strong in 15/16 and also 19/20 (pre Covid at least!).

Our first team players are very good. Is Vardy really 35? You couldn't tell watching him play today! Maddison is a match winner that IMO in current form could play for anyone in the division. Barnes on his day is good, KDH is class Premier League box-to-box player, Fofana, Evans and Schmeichel is a solid base. This is all without Ndidi who would have made the team stronger defensively too.

Our issue is that our squad options aren't the best. We brought players to cover for this... but those players have been poor. In fact we'd probably have to say this season was the highest amount of flops signed since the 2016 summer window. Only Daka can really be seen as a positive and that has been fleeting. One player forced his way into the starting 11, and that player was an academy player in KDH. Actually a shout out must go to Nampalys Mendy who goes totally under the radar but makes the team functional in the 433. But Soumare was a huge flop, Bertrand offered nothing. Vestergaard is a running meme, but that signing was forced on us so I am not that critical of him. It says it all that Daniel Amartey was (rightfully) picked over him many times over.

So with fewer games to play, we should incur less injuries and be able to be more aggressive. I want to see us play more like 19/20 than 20/21 though. In 19/20 we really pressed high up the pitch and dominated games. It didn't work against everyone, but it flat track bullied the smaller teams.

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 3

Guest Col city fan

What the past few games have showed is what many of us predicted at the start of the season.

That we CAN score goals going forward but that we were always going to concede too many as soon as Fofana was injured.

And so it has proven. 
I genuinely believe with a good defence for most of the season we’d have been in the top 6 again and back into Europe.

But we’ve leaked goals and that’s been the downfall

I’m not at all surprised 

Pleased with the league finish, but very unhappy with the nature of performances - even in games we've won. We seem to have taken a real step back this season tactically, and I really don't buy that it's all down to injuries.

I still think Rodgers should go, purely because I don't see how he takes us forward next season, but he's probably done just about enough to save his skin. He will need to have a good summer in the transfer window and start next season with some real intent.

4 minutes ago, Muzzy_no7 said:

Yes. We have a better squad than West Ham. Even with the injuries. 

I think they might actually have a starting 11 as equally good as ours to be fair?

A year ago, don’t know if could name one of theirs who would get into our 11 but right now - I’d say Rice, Bowen, Soucek over this seasons N’Didi off the top of my head.