Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Monk

8th place

1 minute ago, Col city fan said:

What the past few games have showed is what many of us predicted at the start of the season.

That we CAN score goals going forward but that we were always going to concede too many as soon as Fofana was injured.

And so it has proven. 
I genuinely believe with a good defence for most of the season we’d have been in the top 6 again and back into Europe.

But we’ve leaked goals and that’s been the downfall

I’m not at all surprised 

If Evans could stay fit but we know with his injury issues it won’t be easy, key has to be buying a first team Centre half next season to partner Fofana.

• Like 1

10 points and +10 on the GD when there's nothing to play for to help mask a very poor performance is about as Brendan Rodgers as you'll get :D

I'm happy this season is over. 6 weeks off off to switch off from football and get the excitement back is just what the Doctor ordered

Future defining 18 months coming up for the club, the hard work begins now for Rudkin and the recruitment team. 

Shout out to @Dahnsouff and @TJB-fox who have put up with my miserable ways this season, I've enjoyed out back and forths. Hopefully we're all enjoying a much better season and more in agreement over the next season :D

@Ric Flair for providing his usual dose of humour and banter throughout the season. FInally @Stadt as someone who seemed to see things as I did, which helped me feel like I wasn't going crazy at times :D

We go again next season!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

They say the table never lies, but I kind of feel that this season, it does!

I feel like we never really got going this season, it was always mini bursts that quickly petered out. 8th would be considered a superb season under MON or even when we first got promoted, but this is an expensive squad that were FA Cup winners. I don't think anyone here expected a top 4 push, but we should have been in the fight for top 6 until the last day of the season, when in reality we were out of the race by Christmas.

For all of us the real frustrations were:

- Poor performance in Europe. Don't let the Conference run fool you. We had an easy group in the Europa but lost to Legia, and couldn't beat Spartak or Napoli at home. We also went out with a whimper to Roma, who aren't that strong.

- Pathetic defence of the FA Cup. If a team from a lower division beats you with a back to the walls, digging in effort where you pepper their goal, fair enough. In reality 4-1 flattered us, we were truly dreadful in that game.

- Too many capitulations and goals conceded in the final stages of games. The Spurs one I will never get over, but also Liverpool in the cup, Newcastle, Everton, etc, etc.

- Our defending of set pieces that was truly Sunday league standard at best.

I'm not Rodgers out, he is a good manager and I think he deserves the summer to rebuild. But we can't have another season like this one with the investment we made, and Top will be saying the same. With this squad and these players, not getting European football is failure, so this season we ultimately failed.

At least there were some positives. Maddison has blossomed into a truly fantastic player and Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall an absolute revelation.

To answer the question, no not happy. We should have qualified for Europe at minimum and did not. Not good enough!

Agree with a lot of this.  We have conspired to beat ourselves at times it would seem and the Forest debacle is a fetid stain on the season, but you have omitted the injury crisis from your assessment.  I think that it has been going on for so long it has been taken for granted by some of us.  A new normal to borrow a phrase, but it has been devastating to us imo, especially with the amount of games we have had to play.

Eighth is pretty good and will hopefully make us a more attractive to potential new signings compared to the finish that seemedl likely.

As a general point, not aimed at you, we need to accept that  Rodgers is staying, get behind the team and lighten up a little bit

• Like 4

Not a good season really, easy to mask it with “top 10 and European semi” when we’ve been fighting for a top four finish the last two seasons, we were dumped out as champions of the FA Cup by one of our closest rivals (a division below us) by four goals and it was a semi in Europe’s new third tier competition, albeit with a couple good results we ultimately went out with a whimper. 

Whatever we do over the summer has to be spot on, I don’t have the faith in current playing leadership to recruit properly and I don’t even think a full rebuild was necessarily required, but it isn’t changing soon so I just have to hope I’m wrong. 

At least the club seems to be developing off the pitch.

Edited by Finnaldo

7 minutes ago, murphy said:

Agree with a lot of this.  We have conspired to beat ourselves at times it would seem and the Forest debacle is a fetid stain on the season, but you have omitted the injury crisis from your assessment.  I think that it has been going on for so long it has been taken for granted by some of us.  A new normal to borrow a phrase, but it has been devastating to us imo, especially with the amount of games we have had to play.

Eighth is pretty good and will hopefully make us a more attractive to potential new signings compared to the finish that seemedl likely.

As a general point, not aimed at you, we need to accept that  Rodgers is staying, get behind the team and lighten up a little bit

See the thing about injuries is that I think that's too convenient an excuse. Injuries aren't the reason we conceded TWENTY goals from set pieces in the league alone. They aren't the reason we go from 2-1 up in the 95th minute to losing 3-2 at HOME to Spurs. Not the reason we gave away a 3-1 lead to Liverpool in the cup, or losing to Newcastle in injury time.

No first team players left during the summer. Not one! Additionally we signed multiple players to give us additional depth. The issue (and I am not pinning this on Rodgers) is that those signings, Daka apart, were poor. Ndidi was always going to get injured at some point... but Soumare was a flop. Fofana got injured... but Vestergaard was awful. Bertrand was supposed to be steady eddie to allow Thomas to progress but has barely featured at all. Combine this with catastrophic dips in form from Soyuncu, Tielemans, Barnes and Maddison at the start of the season and we were in trouble early on. Actually Lookman was decent in the end, and I would welcome him staying.

It's not the injuries that did us in, it was that the players that came in weren't up to scratch.

Also in recent weeks we've been playing a settled backline of Kasper / Fofana / Evans / Castagne / JJ and still lost plenty of games. The issues go deeper than injuries.

But of course they did have a big impact on our season overall. We've got to learn our lessons though rather than feel sorry for ourselves! The club needs to have a good look at themselves on this issue.

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 3

Strangely relieved that we can have a season to properly regroup and focus on the league. Easy to say with hindsight, and doesn't excuse some of the horrible capitulations against the likes of Newcastle and Spurs, but we really have been stretched so thin this year that I think top half was an achievement in itself.

I expect us to have a proper go at the top six next year. If someone like us can finish comfortably top half despite being undeniably gash for 8 months, that at least gives me hope that even a smidgen of consistency will see us in more of a West Ham position than our own this year, at the very least.

Edited by OntarioFox

1 minute ago, StriderHiryu said:

See the thing about injuries is that I think that's too convenient an excuse. Injuries aren't the reason we conceded TWENTY goals from set pieces in the league alone. They aren't the reason we go from 2-1 up in the 95th minute to losing 3-2 at HOME to Spurs. Not the reason we gave away a 3-1 lead to Liverpool in the cup, or losing to Newcastle in injury time.

No first team players left during the summer. Not one! Additionally we signed multiple players to give us additional depth. The issue (and I am not pinning this on Rodgers) is that those signings, Daka apart, were poor. Ndidi was always going to get injured at some point... but Soumare was a flop. Fofana got injured... but Vestergaard was awful. Bertrand was supposed to be steady eddie to allow Thomas to progress but has barely featured at all. Combine this with catastrophic dips in form from Soyuncu, Tielemans, Barnes and Maddison at the start of the season and we were in trouble early on.

It's not the injuries that did us in, it was that the players that came in weren't up to scratch.

Also in recent weeks we've been playing a settled backline of Kasper / Fofana / Evans / Castagne / JJ and still lost plenty of games. The issues go deeper than injuries.

But of course they did have a big impact on our season overall. We've got to learn our lessons though rather than feel sorry for ourselves! The club needs to have a good look at themselves on this issue.

I remember earlier in the season you thought Soumare might be awesome for us.

Was there a particular game/moments in various matches that made you change your mind?

Do you think he could turn it around at all mate?

37 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Is it? Do we genuinely when you look at it subjectively, have a better squad than anyone who finished above us?

Especially, when you consider how many first choice players have missed large chunks of the season.

Yes