Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot

Pitch invasions

What's going on with this? Saw it at the forest game, if not one of the league one playoff games before that and it seems like people up and down the country have just decided that this is the done thing now. I don't know what happened this evening other than the man City pitch invasion as that was the game I was watching on television. Problem with all these is nearly all of them have resulted in players being assaulted, sometimes viciously. What's the solution? 5 games behind closed doors imo. The scenes at the etihad (villas keeper was apparently assaulted but I didn't see that) of fans breaking the goalposts and behaving like absolute twits was a bit rubbish. Did they invade when aguero scored that goal in even more dramatic fashion? As I recall they didn't. Did it happen at any other grounds today? It'll end up with someone being seriously hurt or worse before any real deterrent is enforced. Thoughts? 

Generally I'm a bit of a romantic and love a good old-fashioned, genuinely good-willed pitch invasion. I also think flares add so much to an atmosphere. But... every game dilutes their effect and just looks like copycat behaviour and everyone jumping on a bandwagon rather than authentic displays of elation.

I also see the reasons for banning them. Flares are dangerous when inhaled and people chucking them on the pitch can cause injuries to fans or players if they mistime a throw. And an extremely small but very visible minority of the pitch invaders seem to be behaving like prize pillocks.

Just be genuinely happy and don't cause trouble, then a pitch invasion wouldn't be such a bad thing.

The lockdowns seem to have lobotomised a select number of 'fans' judging by their behaviour this sesson.

I posted in another thread that pitch invasions seem not to happen as much in Scotland,  because :

a) The 2016 cup final post-match pitch invasion started off as joy by Hibs, graduated through a bit of taunting to anger by Rangers and then it turned into a big fight.  The stadium security and policing were heavily criticised (not as much as the supporters of Glasgow Rangers were criticised, though)

b) If the two sets of supporters most likely to get to big meaningful end of season games up here start fighting, there could be wider social disorder. They don't want that.

c) Yeah, OK...fewer meaningful big games :glare:

Towards the end of the biggest games up here, I've noticed that they tend to flood the perimeter of the pitch with security and police.

I could see with the Forest game that there were just a handful of security bods pitch side for an entire end of fans. You could see that pitch invasion coming a mile off.  The security were all up in the stands. 

It costs more, but I can imagine the clubs in England are going to have to risk-assess the likelihood of a pitch invasion and pay for loads more security personnel whose focus is to ring the pitch and prevent invasions.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

I posted in another thread that pitch invasions seem not to happen as much in Scotland,  because :

a) The 2016 cup final post-match pitch invasion started off as joy by Hibs, graduated through a bit of taunting to anger by Rangers and then it turned into a big fight.  The stadium security and policing were heavily criticised (not as much as the supporters of Glasgow Rangers were criticised, though)

b) If the two sets of supporters most likely to get to big meaningful end of season games up here start fighting, there could be wider social disorder. They don't want that.

c) Yeah, OK...fewer meaningful big games :glare:

Towards the end of the biggest games up here, I've noticed that they tend to flood the perimeter of the pitch with security and police.

I could see with the Forest game that there were just a handful of security bods pitch side for an entire end of fans. You could see that pitch invasion coming a mile off.  The security were all up in the stands. 

It costs more, but I can imagine the clubs in England are going to have to risk-assess the likelihood of a pitch invasion and pay for loads more security personnel whose focus is to ring the pitch and prevent invasions.

All they do in this country is flood in front of the away fans with stewards.

It almost invites the home supporters on, as long as the two sets of fans can't get at each other.

OK, that's fine, until you have home fans going at opposition players, which has been seen at pretty much every example this week.

One way to stop it. If a mass invasion happens, you forfeit the game.

By it being a mass invasion, you stop people saying "but opposition fans could buy tickets and cause it to happen"

What you define a mass invasion as is open to debate though, I'll admit that.

Edited by tom27111
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

What's going on with this? Saw it at the forest game, if not one of the league one playoff games before that and it seems like people up and down the country have just decided that this is the done thing now. I don't know what happened this evening other than the man City pitch invasion as that was the game I was watching on television. Problem with all these is nearly all of them have resulted in players being assaulted, sometimes viciously. What's the solution? 5 games behind closed doors imo. The scenes at the etihad (villas keeper was apparently assaulted but I didn't see that) of fans breaking the goalposts and behaving like absolute twits was a bit rubbish. Did they invade when aguero scored that goal in even more dramatic fashion? As I recall they didn't. Did it happen at any other grounds today? It'll end up with someone being seriously hurt or worse before any real deterrent is enforced. Thoughts? 

I wonder if there is now a generation of fans who don't remember the fenced stadiums and what happened at Hillsborough. Basically there is no excuse for invading the pitch. 

It's a shame the odd individuals assaulting players are spoiling it for literally thousands of others just wanting to have a spontaneous moment of joy, but there are laws in place to deal with them already. It's annoying how everyone getting involved is being tarred with the same brush.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

If this was happening at Celtic Park or Ibrox there would be national outrage and parliamentary enquiries and all sorts.

I'm sorry but you're not going to get a great deal of sympathy on here for that - you reap what you sow. 

Both your lots get treated like exceptions because you act like exceptions.

• Like 2

Was at the Copenhagen game yesterday, the Sektion 12 boys tried running on a few times and were booed off with chants of ‘Dårligt’ (bad) overwhelmingly by the other 3 stands. It was quite sad actually, first League win in 3 years and the trophy lift was drowned out with boos.

59 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Is anything really any different? Has anything really changed? Or are these cases just getting a bit over-reported because it's the latest thing it's trendy to make a fuss about?

I  mean, a few months ago everyone was outraged by how racist social media was. After every match weekend the BBC and the newspapers were over-reporting how a random non-white footballer had been racially abused on social media by some random troll. You don't hear anything about it now, has racism on Twitter been magically conquered or has the news cycle just moved on to a new manufactured outrage?

MOTD did a bit yesterday to show how shocking it was that the Villa goalkeeper got "attacked" in the celebrations yesterday. Correct me if I'm underplaying it but did some pissed up Manc not just ran past him, give him a bit of a tap round the back of the head and the Villa keeper managed to miraculously survive this terrible ordeal and get off the field completely uninjured?

Pitch invasions happen literally every year in the sport and I can't remember a player ever getting seriously hurt?

Olsen was embarrassing. Billy Sharp got a flying headbutt whilst he was looking in another direction and needed stitches. Olsen looked as though it was about as bad as a wet willy.

The moral panic over "somebody's going to stabbed wahhh wahhhh" is moronic. Why on earth would anybody stab a footballer live on TV in one of the most CCTV'd environments in the world? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Voll Blau said:

It's a shame the odd individuals assaulting players are spoiling it for literally thousands of others just wanting to have a spontaneous moment of joy, but there are laws in place to deal with them already. It's annoying how everyone getting involved is being tarred with the same brush.

I suppose I'm just a bit old school. I was brought up that if a sign said keep off the grass and I did that I would expect the world to come crashing around my ears very quickly. What I trying to say in a clumsy way is that you know the rules/law  Behave or expect sanctions. You can still celebrate in the stands

4 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

I suppose I'm just a bit old school. I was brought up that if a sign said keep off the grass and I did that I would expect the world to come crashing around my ears very quickly. What I trying to say in a clumsy way is that you know the rules/law  Behave or expect sanctions. You can still celebrate in the stands

... mate.

IFK_Goteborg_vs_OIS_1912_pitch_invasion.

River_Plate_Supporters_1945.jpg

QVNIMTE1NjY1MzM1.jpg?width=2048&enable=u

d2b27eeb6c0bf0a722ddb4fe8e4bd419--manche

a56b8115d0102f2b481029892b94901c.jpg

GD17954913.jpg

article-2617910-1D81FC2500000578-331_964

If you were "brought up" in a time before pitch invasions, how fvcking old are you?

First one's from 1912 by the way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

"I'm old school", IE I was around when football violence was rife, but I draw the line at pitch invasions lol 

• Like 1

Just now, Foxdiamond said:

It was not right then and not right now.  You won't find a picture of me on the pitch.

I mean me neither, to be honest, it's all a bit gauche to me. I'm British, I do excitement with polite reservation like you're meant to, by clapping and nodding with approval. All of this wild over-exuberance is just downright American.

But I'm not sure that's got anything to do with being "old school." I don't think there's any generational in it. 

6 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

"I'm old school", IE I was around when football violence was rife, but I draw the line at pitch invasions lol 

Don't be daft. I had nothing to do with football violence either. This is a matter of self discipline. 

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I mean me neither, to be honest, it's all a bit gauche to me. I'm British, I do excitement with polite reservation like you're meant to, by clapping and nodding with approval. All of this wild over-exuberance is just downright American.

But I'm not sure that's got anything to do with being "old school." I don't think there's any generational in it. 

Old school in sense of not excusing bad behaviour and treating people and property with respect. 

6 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

Don't be daft. I had nothing to do with football violence either. This is a matter of self discipline. 

I'm not suggesting you did. But football is more sanitised than it's ever been, saying you're "old school" is saying you're from a less sanitised time of the game's history. 

Just now, Sol thewall Bamba said:

I'm not suggesting you did. But football is more sanitised than it's ever been, saying you're "old school" is saying you're from a less sanitised time of the game's history. 

Sorry if mu phrase is causing confusion or annoyance. There is no reason to be on the pitch. Football is wonderful for providing great highs and lows  None of which means you should be on the pitch. Things will only lead to more security and costs will rise as a result.