Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot

Pitch invasions

2 hours ago, Stadt said:

Olsen was embarrassing. Billy Sharp got a flying headbutt whilst he was looking in another direction and needed stitches. Olsen looked as though it was about as bad as a wet willy.

The moral panic over "somebody's going to stabbed wahhh wahhhh" is moronic. Why on earth would anybody stab a footballer live on TV in one of the most CCTV'd environments in the world? 

Really ?

you don’t think that there are nutters in every large crowd ?

the authorities are asleep at the wheel - what a shock. A statement early last week about sanctions being applied to home grounds would likely have stopped it.  Thirty or forty charging onto the pitch can be dealt with - banning orders etc etc.   when it’s hundreds and hundreds it becomes a free for all and thousands follow.   all the PL and EPL had to do after the forest invasion was to release that statement that there would be sanctions for mass pitch invasions. That could range from enforcing a replay,  forfeiture of the game or the stadium being closed for a number of fixtures next season.  The rump of the crowds would then have stayed in the stands and celebrated.  The few dozen who couldn’t control themselves would be dealt with on the playing surface. 

given what happened in the euros last summer, I’m astonished by this lack of action.  We run the risk of losing being awarded any major tournament if we cannot control our crowds.  

• Like 4

Just now, st albans fox said:

Really ?

the authorities are asleep at the wheel - what a shock. A statement early last week about sanctions being applied to home grounds would likely have stopped it.  Thirty or forty charging onto the pitch can be dealt with - banning orders etc etc.   when it’s hundreds and hundreds it becomes a free for all and thousands follow.   all the PL and EPL had to do after the forest invasion was to release that statement that there would be sanctions for mass pitch invasions. That could range from enforcing a replay,  forfeiture of the game or the stadium being closed for a number of fixtures next season.  The rump of the crowds would then have stayed in the stands and celebrated.  The few dozen who couldn’t control themselves would be dealt with on the playing surface. 

given what happened in the euros last summer, I’m astonished by this lack of action.  We run the risk of losing being awarded any major tournament if we cannot control our crowds.  

I see this worry being brought up any time anything vaguely seen as "bad behaviour" happens in England, but the fact remains we are the best behaved football fans in Europe, both inside and outside of stadiums.

Plus, why should anyone be issued with a banning order simply for running on the pitch after play has ended to celebrate? That's a punishment that would be totally over the top for any alleged "crime" committed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

I see this worry being brought up any time anything vaguely seen as "bad behaviour" happens in England, but the fact remains we are the best behaved football fans in Europe, both inside and outside of stadiums.

Plus, why should anyone be issued with a banning order simply for running on the pitch after play has ended to celebrate? That's a punishment that would be totally over the top for any alleged "crime" committed.

I’m afraid that we aren’t judged the same way as the rest of europe - it’s a historical thing.  Given the numbers attending you are absolutely correct. but on the back of what happened at Wembley last summer, we have to be pro active

running onto the pitch is an offence that carries a banning order as a sanction. it’s doesn’t mention before/during/after the game.  the players are entitled to do their job safely and not spend the last ten minutes of the game wondering if they will make it to the changing room without being assaulted- that is unacceptable for the integrity of the game.  How many palace players were thinking about forcing an  equaliser on Thursday evening - i bet not many.  Their minds were likely elsewhere after the post second and third goal incursions and the thought of several thousand rushing on at the final whistle.  How is that fair?? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

The obsession with them is wierd.

Plus it's not even people celebrating. It's people goading opposition players/staff and fans.

This. It was quaint when hundreds of kids in Parka jackets were chasing Ronnie Radford around Edgar Street trying to celebrate with him. Now we've got 40 year-old Danny Dyer wannabes nutting opposition backroom staff.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Really ?

Of course there'll be people with a screw loose in the crowd. Given how easy it is to run on the pitch and stab somebody I don't think a potential murderer would wait for a pitch invasion (fewer than 0.1% of games?) to run on and stab somebody.

4 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I’m afraid that we aren’t judged the same way as the rest of europe - it’s a historical thing.  Given the numbers attending you are absolutely correct. but on the back of what happened at Wembley last summer, we have to be pro active

running onto the pitch is an offence that carries a banning order as a sanction. it’s doesn’t mention before/during/after the game.  the players are entitled to do their job safely and not spend the last ten minutes of the game wondering if they will make it to the changing room without being assaulted- that is unacceptable for the integrity of the game.  How many palace players were thinking about forcing an  equaliser on Thursday evening - i bet not many.  Their minds were likely elsewhere after the post second and third goal incursions and the thought of several thousand rushing on at the final whistle.  How is that fair?? 

Hmmm, not sure I quite buy that given how regularly Wembley's chosen to host major events. UEFA are constantly sanctioning clubs abroad for their fans' behaviour during tournaments they run. We're not the special case we were.

The fact is the vast majority of people involved in pitch invasions do so as an innocent and spontaneous expression of joy. Even if only a few dozen do it, a criminal record and order to hand in your passport any time England play abroad - even if you've no desire to follow the national team - is a ridiculously disproportionate punishment for that.

Not so long ago the police and authorities looked at most football crowds as louts waiting to cause trouble  This lead to fences, Hillsborough and the like. In recent years we have enjoyed better stadiums where people can bring families to enjoy a match. We don't want a return to draconian measures because some idiots can't control themselves. 

13 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Hmmm, not sure I quite buy that given how regularly Wembley's chosen to host major events. UEFA are constantly sanctioning clubs abroad for their fans' behaviour during tournaments they run. We're not the special case we were.

The fact is the vast majority of people involved in pitch invasions do so as an innocent and spontaneous expression of joy. Even if only a few dozen do it, a criminal record and order to hand in your passport any time England play abroad - even if you've no desire to follow the national team - is a ridiculously disproportionate punishment for that.

I’ve celebrated a lot over the last decade - I don’t recall ever having the urge to invade the pitch to do so …… it’s completely unnecessary 

Once a large enough number go on, then of course the masses will follow.  that’s understandable - hence the need to dissuade them. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I’ve celebrated a lot over the last decade - I don’t recall ever having the urge to invade the pitch to do so …… it’s completely unnecessary 

Once a large enough number go on, then of course the masses will follow.  that’s understandable - hence the need to dissuade them. 

If it's not for you, then that's fine. Others do enjoy being part of them and the vast, vast majority do so peacefully and without any intent of hurting anyone. They shouldn't be punished for that.

53 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

What's even the point? What is there to be gained from running on the pitch?

Nothing. As I said, pointless and weird.

I used to enjoy seeing them as they were spontaneous and people genuinelly celebrated. Nowadays it's all the time. So boring.

Plus it's people either launching their phone in players faces, goading opposition players or just standing in front of the away end. People don't even do it to celebrate anymore, they just do it because they can.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

If it's not for you, then that's fine. Others do enjoy being part of them and the vast, vast majority do so peacefully and without any intent of hurting anyone. They shouldn't be punished for that.

It is not fine to do though is it. The club's don't want it nor do the players or the security staff. 

• Thanks 2

Just now, Foxdiamond said:

It is not fine to do though is it. The club's don't want it nor do the players or the security staff. 

Why isn't it fine if your intention is merely to express your joy and appreciation of the team? There are plenty of players who revel in that kind of interaction with fans - see also players who've picked up smoke bombs and so on out of the crowd recently.

Yes, the recent assaults are an absolute disgrace but the sentences handed down to the individuals responsible are a deterrent for anyone. As for the clubs not wanting it, Everton weren't too shy about publishing pictures of fans on the pitch the other night. Clubs can't have it both ways in terms of using their fans' passion to promote themselves and then getting the hump if they then end up displaying "the wrong kind" of passion.

• Like 1

Guest Mee-9

Them Man City fans yesterday smashing up the goalposts. :dunno:

Going home to London and Northampton with a souvenir of their one and only game I'm guessing. 

8 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Why isn't it fine if your intention is merely to express your joy and appreciation of the team? There are plenty of players who revel in that kind of interaction with fans - see also players who've picked up smoke bombs and so on out of the crowd recently.

Yes, the recent assaults are an absolute disgrace but the sentences handed down to the individuals responsible are a deterrent for anyone. As for the clubs not wanting it, Everton weren't too shy about publishing pictures of fans on the pitch the other night. Clubs can't have it both ways in terms of using their fans' passion to promote themselves and then getting the hump if they then end up displaying "the wrong kind" of passion.

Keep of the pitch. That's the rule/law. Enjoy yourself in the stadium. Quite easy really. I don't expect to get on the stage with my favourite artist after a gig.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

Keep of the pitch. That's the rule/law. Enjoy yourself in the stadium. Quite easy really. I don't expect to get on the stage with my favourite artist after a gig.

I don't get why it bothers you so much? Unless anyone's getting hurt, what's the problem? Let's all enjoy football how we want to.

10 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

I don't get why it bothers you so much? Unless anyone's getting hurt, what's the problem? Let's all enjoy football how we want to.

It's not fans to be on the pitch end of. I remember had a tour of the stadium years ago with my wife and daughter. The friendly guide took  to us to pitchside but said please don't step on the grass. If I go round a stately home I don't breach the roped off areas. It's just the rules. The more serious point already made elsewhere is that players of the other team should not have to think about avoiding fans running from all directions. I know it was a reduced capacity at Wembley when we won the cup but it was great to see our players express their joy towards each other and towards the fans in the stands and not having to run for cover.

7 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I'm sorry but you're not going to get a great deal of sympathy on here for that - you reap what you sow. 

Both your lots get treated like exceptions because you act like exceptions.

Well none of our lot have ever invaded the pitch and assaulted people in the last 20 years or so. The scenes I've seen this week are miles worse than anything I've seen at an Old Firm game in 30 years of attending them.

Last pitch invasion at Celtic park was when we won the league way back in 1998.

Edited by Muzzy_Larsson

9 minutes ago, Smashing-Pumpkin said:

I cant believe anyone is pro pitch invasion to be honest.

The person who said no one would be mad enough to stab someone on a football field with cctv on them.....hello, what? if youve got people mad enough to run up to someone totally innocent and plant a headbutt on them for no other reason than theyre an opposition player, or hit them in the face like a fan did to Chris Kirkland when Sheff Wed played Leeds, or trash Wembley to get in for free, which were all on tv and cctv, then yes, someone would quite obviously be mad enough to stab someone.

Then when you get to the pitch invasions themselves, they are supposed to be a spontaneous outpouring of emotion. How does that work exactly? I could half understand you if its a Ronnie Radford moment, but when nothings happened in a game for 20 minutes, why are you going to spontaneously run on? and whos spontaneous reaction is to run on anyway, considering you dont spontaneously run on in any other situation?

Then when people do invade the pitch, why? no one on the field wants you there, so you just run on and within 10 seconds youre standing there on the grass like an idiot with a load of other randomers. No one is even celebrating.... the nutter brigade are looking for people to nut, goad and goalposts to smash up, the "lad" brigade are just looking to goad the away support, and the instagram brigade are standing there with their phones out. No one is celebrating at all, its ironic.

Most of it in my opinion just comes back to the belief that football fans think paying for a ticket to football entitles them to do anything they want and say anything they want. signs say stay off the grass and its an arrestable offense to pass this point....so dont pass it then! in the same way dont throw coins and lighters at people just because they kick a ball for a team from a different city. or mindlessly abuse stewards trying to do their job.

Its just a load of adolescents and idiots desperate to be the morons they want to be but cant between 9-5 monday to friday.

Hope you sing at matches and don't leave at 85 minutes and invade pitches or else you're plastic. Lol. Jokes!

I don't get it either but I suppose we all have differing views (even if i think pitch invader fans are somewhat bells). They think we are too so that's fair i suppose lol.  

On a lighter note...

Hahautd.jpg

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Finnegan said:

... mate.

IFK_Goteborg_vs_OIS_1912_pitch_invasion.

River_Plate_Supporters_1945.jpg

QVNIMTE1NjY1MzM1.jpg?width=2048&enable=u

d2b27eeb6c0bf0a722ddb4fe8e4bd419--manche

a56b8115d0102f2b481029892b94901c.jpg

GD17954913.jpg

article-2617910-1D81FC2500000578-331_964

If you were "brought up" in a time before pitch invasions, how fvcking old are you?

First one's from 1912 by the way.

“All of this wild over-exuberance is just downright American.”