Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
marbles

US Gun Violence

17 minutes ago, Izzy said:

If it was UK gun violence then yes, maths.

But it's US gun violence, therefore math :whistle:

Yeah, but you're bringing all that americanism crap over here, where does it end. But your right, there's an awful lot of totting up to do  based on those amount of shootings 

Edited by yorkie1999
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I didn't realise that the BBC news website has a whole section dedicated to US gun violence.

34 pages and 24 articles per page (do the math) dating back to 2016.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/topics/c207p54mdl3t

Madness

I hear they were going to start a section dedicated to the opioid epidemic over there, then they realised there wasn't enough pages on the internet :D

1 hour ago, yorkie1999 said:

There is a good reason for this, as i found out in a bar in chicago, the bar gets done for selling booze to anyone without an id, if you get done for any drinking offence they take your id off you which effectively stops you being able to buy booze, so it forces the bars to police this. Good idea imo.

Yes agree - but that wasn't my observation. The point I was making was that you can sell a rifle to an 18 year old but not alcohol which has to be concealed in a brown bag when you leave the store. I found it very telling that ostensibly a teenager walked out of a Walmart brandishing a hunting rifle with no stigma attached to it. That was all. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lionator said:

My God.

That man is clearly in some drugs. But, either way....wow.

People wonder why i dont trek over the border. Sure, the likelyhood of getting hurt is low but nahhhh thanks. Got enuff gun crime on this side of the border and its nowhere close to america

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, marbles said:

The cultural difference is never more stark when discussing guns.

"Parents are best placed to decide whether their kids can have a gun." - Yeah, never.

It's an interesting case study though as there were clear red flags about this kid. Would they have prosecuted if he had been a seemingly normal kid with no red flags or violent tendencies, and just head a "healthy" interest in guns. Parent signs off on gun ownership then 3 years later he kills with that gun.

Just now, Captain... said:

The cultural difference is never more stark when discussing guns.

"Parents are best placed to decide whether their kids can have a gun." - Yeah, never.

It's an interesting case study though as there were clear red flags about this kid. Would they have prosecuted if he had been a seemingly normal kid with no red flags or violent tendencies, and just head a "healthy" interest in guns. Parent signs off on gun ownership then 3 years later he kills with that gun.

That should be the risk you take. If you signed for the gun because your kid was a minor, you are signing that you take responsibility for it and him.

This should definitely happen in every school shooting.

38 minutes ago, marbles said:

What needs to become the norm is that you don't have guns unless you have a professional or sporting need for one. It shouldn't be a case of locking people up after the fact, which in this case was the deaths of seven people, the purchase just shouldn't have been allowed in the first place.

I read this article the other day which claims that shooting has now become the biggest cause of death of children in the US, which if true, is probably the most shocking thing I've read for a long while.

https://www.kff.org/global-health-policy/issue-brief/child-and-teen-firearm-mortality-in-the-u-s-and-peer-countries/

Mind blowing stuff if it's accurate.

1 hour ago, FoxesDeb said:

What needs to become the norm is that you don't have guns unless you have a professional or sporting need for one. It shouldn't be a case of locking people up after the fact, which in this case was the deaths of seven people, the purchase just shouldn't have been allowed in the first place.

I read this article the other day which claims that shooting has now become the biggest cause of death of children in the US, which if true, is probably the most shocking thing I've read for a long while.

https://www.kff.org/global-health-policy/issue-brief/child-and-teen-firearm-mortality-in-the-u-s-and-peer-countries/

Mind blowing stuff if it's accurate.

It would be great to snap your fingers and make them disappear, but until that’s possible, people need to be held responsible.

As for deaths among kids - this is terrible to say, but I thought it had been guns for a few years now

America was founded & built on various all countries ex-pats,melting-pot

attitudes & beliefs…No country has the right to say they know better..

The gun lobby is massive,and in many ways quite innocent,but the aggressive nature of our society as really brought it in this modern society to its head….

USA is one country fighting its inner conflicts,but why not not cover this open issue sighting Russia,since WWII. Civilian-children genocide in various world pockets. Persian,African countries ditto on their neighbours, & yes Uk govt.military in Ireland..

We outside,( & outside pressure) will not change or scratch the USA gun issue.

I know American friends who are also dumbfounded by their own countries gun-laws…USA is a mix of 350mil people, across many states bigger than most countries,with American stamped through them,but like Asia & Europe with similar

land masses,have different peoples mental & society rights and attitudes..

Like Western Europe, USA have that very common thought…,”The right to”because they consider they fought and earned them…whatever that “right to” is..!!
We consider ourselves, (incorrectly) civilised….We have and still leave burnt lands behind us & forget even together we we are not 5% of the human race..

Like asking Putin to give up this blind genocide of his neighbour,

the world gun laws,ain’t going to change soon,so instead of jumping up and down,and telling the world how angry we are, it will always be the

easy,easy catches the monkey approach that sees this issue out…& yes many more innocents will die…because you can’t tell people’s what to do,if the ears are deaf to the voice…!!
So we have to first build small bridges, accept those small compromises,it’s that decades of pecking that eventually finds & picks the succulent seed..

• 3 weeks later...